Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley-Davidson v. Triumph cruisers?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2010, 01:14 PM
chicanagirl
Road Warrior
Received 63 Likes on 32 Posts

I think Triumph has a great lineup. I would consider trading my Nightster for a Street Triple, especially if it had the Arrow 3 into 1 exhaust and a Tuneboy. Awesome little streetfighter.
As for triumph cruisers I have heard good things about the Tbird. The Rocket has plenty of torque but its a little heavy for me.
The Sprint is a great sport cruiser as is the Tiger. I wouldn't mind having either one. I don't think theres a Harley, except for the Vrod that will run with either of them.
That being said if i had a Night Rod SE I wouldn't trade it for ANY other bike.

Old 09-18-2010, 01:17 PM
Then Came Bronson
Grand HDF Member

Received 2,795 Likes on 958 Posts

Originally Posted by edwin_44691
I had a Bonneville 650 (newer one). Seemed like riding a sewing machine (all plastic). I rode a Sportster at Daytona Bike Week, got a Sportster and love it.
Edwin,

Triumph hasn't made a 650cc Bonneville since the early 1970s. If your Bonne had fuel injection, it was probably an 865cc engine (2009 model, or thereabouts). And...plastic? What plastic are you talking about? I've always thought that bike was a very cool retro remake.

Old 09-18-2010, 01:22 PM
faber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Dale_K
I had a Triumph Scrambler - 900cc with a very mildly tuned motor. It was a fun bike. It was lightweight, nimble and the motor was smooth, which is more than I can say for my 2010 Dyna. I kind of wish I'd kept it.
I know what you mean. I grew up riding Tigers and Bonnies. So that kind of established my mental image of what "motorcycle" is. Thus, my Harley of choice is a Sportster, which is as light and nimble as Harleys go.

Still have a '71 XS650, which is a Yamaha copy of a Tiger (and designed by ex-Triumph engineers). In many ways, the XS650 is a better Triumph than a real Triumph

But now that I'm older, I appreciate the stretched out cruiser. I'd really like to add one to the stable.

As much as I like the RKC, that Thunderbird looks nice. Get the 1700 kit, ABS, a windshield, backrest/rack, and leather bags, and then it costs about what a RKC costs.

But I've never seen one in person

Old 09-18-2010, 01:23 PM
guitarman777
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've ridden a few Triumphs. They're good, just not my preference. Too smooth, no excitement.

Old 09-18-2010, 01:33 PM
edwin_44691
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Then Came Bronson
Edwin,

Triumph hasn't made a 650cc Bonneville since the early 1970s. If your Bonne had fuel injection, it was probably an 865cc engine (2009 model, or thereabouts). And...plastic? What plastic are you talking about? I've always thought that bike was a very cool retro remake.

You are right about the 865CC. I can not remember what year it was; but compared to a Sportie, it didn't have any soul. Plus, I like belt drive better

Old 09-18-2010, 01:41 PM
yljkt
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by faber
are you sure about that?

not talking about 30-year old Triumphs here...
Well the old trumpets used british standard, or "Sir Whitworth" hardware. My last Triumph was a Hinckley Triumph, 99 T-Bird Sport. It was certainly metric. Meaning the hardware, etc was metric. I think to some the term "metric" means Japanese bike.

Old 09-18-2010, 01:46 PM
Bike-R-Mike
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bonnevilles where made up till 84 when Truimph finally clossed it's doors and sold the rights to a new company . I had an 82 or 83 Triumph Thunderbird which was a single carb 650 twin at that time . It was the same color as the one in the pic I'v included . At present besides my Harley I have a 1970 BSA 650 dual carb model . Triumphs where and are nice bikes and I wish I'd kept mine to have along with my Harley . The problem with them is the same as with Indian and some other brands , although they are nice bikes and good bikes there is no dealer networks for support if you are touring and have any problems . There are so many dealers and also a strong network of GOOD backyard mechanics for Harley's that touring or traveling anywhere with one means you have the greatest chance of getting repairs or parts IF needed . Any bike no matter what make CAN have a breakdown and to me being able to deal with that when far from home is VERY inportant .

Attached Thumbnails Harley-Davidson v. Triumph cruisers?-83-triumph-thunderbird.jpg   Harley-Davidson v. Triumph cruisers?-bsa-650-003.jpg  
Old 09-18-2010, 01:55 PM
faber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

As much as I like the RKC, that Thunderbird looks nice. Get the 1700 kit, ABS, a windshield, backrest/rack, and leather bags, and then it costs about what a RKC costs.
Actually, with all that, a Thunderbird costs $16,700, according to the Triumph USA site.

Old 09-18-2010, 01:59 PM
DaddyKnuck
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,664 Likes on 946 Posts

I like the "new" Bonnevilles and TT models. The 3 Cylinder is just too ugly for me, but the comparison to a Boss Hoss is appropriate.

If I was looking for a little bike, I'd consider a Bonneville, but I'd probably buy a Sportster for about the same money.

Old 09-18-2010, 02:10 PM
fat_tony
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 168 Likes on 136 Posts

So with all these recent threads (and not-so-recent ones) comparing Japanese cruisers to Harleys, a lot has been discussed about why we here (including me) prefer our Harleys.

But what about non-Japanese metrics?

Triumph has a long and proud tradition in motorcycles, but they also make cruisers intended to compete with Harleys.

Off the top of my head: the Rocket III, the Thunderbird, and the America (nice model name!)

While the T-Bird and America have the iconic p-twin, everything else about them is very Harley-esque.

What are your thoughts about them? How do they compare to Harleys?
Interesting note on the Triumph 800cc p-twin used in the Bonneville and Triumph's small cruisers like the American. They use a balanced crank shaft (cylinders are 180 opposite one another) in the version of the engine used on the Bonneville lineup (each cylinder fires every 360 degrees opposite of the other) but in their cruisers that use the same engine, the crank shaft is modified to an unbalanced configuration (cylinders are not quite 180 opposite of one another (i think the ignition sequence is something like ~280 degrees). This is done to give the exhaust note a more HD Vtwin sound at the cost of increased vibration and slight loss in power. Like some things Harley do function is less important than style

Last edited by fat_tony; 09-19-2010 at 01:27 AM.

Quick Reply: Harley-Davidson v. Triumph cruisers?