General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HD service dept. unqualified to split case.....

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 02:23 PM
Mike T
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default HD service dept. unqualified to split case.....

I am about to tear my motor down with a rod bearing noise and thought just for the hell of it I'd call the local HD place to see what they would charge to go through the crank case.They told me to take it to a machine shop that they couldn't do it.I thought to myself, WTF.It says on they're web site that they have over 100 yrs. combined experience.Sounds like to me they're a bunch of dumb asses.

Last edited by Mike T; 09-17-2010 at 05:19 PM.
Old 09-17-2010, 03:01 PM
Doug45601
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK... are we suppose to guess what dealership.... and is the wrench 100 years old? or what is this test about?

Oh I know... their mechanic's are young and have no experience in this area but, their combined age is at least 100 years... Right?

Old 09-17-2010, 03:02 PM
Doug45601
Road Master

Originally Posted by Mike T
I am about to tear my motor down with a rod bearing noise and thought just for the hell of it I'd call the local HD place to see what they would charge to go through the crank case.They told me to take it to a machine shop that they couldn't do it.I thought to myself, WTF.It says on they're web site that they have over 100 yrs. experience.Sounds like to me they're a bunch of dumb asses.
forgot to quote.. sorry

Old 09-17-2010, 03:13 PM
Sgt. Fury
Tourer

They probably don't wanna touch it because it's an Evo. Most dealers won't touch anything over 10 years old now.

Old 09-17-2010, 03:20 PM
scottwilliamson
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

It is actually pretty normal for car and bike dealerships to not do major motor rebuilds. It has nothing to do with thier abilitys and every thing to do with the time involved. That tech might take 2 or 3 days to that one job when in the same time he could service maybe 5 to 15 other customers.

Old 09-17-2010, 04:53 PM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 327 Likes on 189 Posts

You wouldn't have liked the charges from the dealership and the person you spoke to knew it. They gave you an honest straight forward answer, and one that will save you $$$.
Now if they gave you a quote for $5k would you be happy or would you be whining that they wanted $5k to do the work?
What if they had told you it would be 6-8 weeks to do the job?
What if they farmed to work out to a local indy, and charged you twice what the indy charged them? Would that make you happy?

Old 09-17-2010, 04:55 PM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Sgt. Fury
They probably don't wanna touch it because it's an Evo. Most dealers won't touch anything over 10 years old now.
^^^what he said is more than likely the reason

Old 09-17-2010, 04:56 PM
RFG7680
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,280 Likes on 733 Posts

Originally Posted by scottwilliamson
It is actually pretty normal for car and bike dealerships to not do major motor rebuilds. It has nothing to do with thier abilitys and every thing to do with the time involved. That tech might take 2 or 3 days to that one job when in the same time he could service maybe 5 to 15 other customers.
There it is in a nutshell.. It's not cost effective.

Old 09-17-2010, 05:03 PM
srshaw
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I always wonder is the main dealer the best place to have this kind of thing done. Its pretty much a certainty that the mechanics will not have a huge amount of experience of doing this kind of work when they spend most days doing regular servicing.

Old 09-17-2010, 05:14 PM
Mike T
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by piasspj
You wouldn't have liked the charges from the dealership and the person you spoke to knew it. They gave you an honest straight forward answer, and one that will save you $$$.
Now if they gave you a quote for $5k would you be happy or would you be whining that they wanted $5k to do the work?
What if they had told you it would be 6-8 weeks to do the job?
What if they farmed to work out to a local indy, and charged you twice what the indy charged them? Would that make you happy?
I just wanted a ball park figure to see what they normally charge.That's with the crank case pulled by me.

Quick Reply: HD service dept. unqualified to split case.....