General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HD service dept. unqualified to split case.....

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2010, 07:10 AM
reddog8145
Road Captain
Received 44 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by scottwilliamson
It is actually pretty normal for car and bike dealerships to not do major motor rebuilds. It has nothing to do with thier abilitys and every thing to do with the time involved. That tech might take 2 or 3 days to that one job when in the same time he could service maybe 5 to 15 other customers.
I bought a new Dyna in 2008 and after only 100 miles it developed a major leak at the back of the crank. It needed the engine compleatly tearing down to repair it. They did such a good job it was like a different bike .
My dealer in the UK has no issues pulling the motor down I think you need to find another dealer to do the work for you, after all you should have enough of them in the states

Old 11-25-2010, 08:05 AM
geezer glide 56
Road Warrior
Received 101 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike T
I am about to tear my motor down with a rod bearing noise and thought just for the hell of it I'd call the local HD place to see what they would charge to go through the crank case.They told me to take it to a machine shop that they couldn't do it.I thought to myself, WTF.It says on they're web site that they have over 100 yrs. combined experience.Sounds like to me they're a bunch of dumb asses.
I would say it is an unfair statement to say that they are unqualified to split the cases...With labor rates approaching $100.00 an hour it would probably be cheaper in the long run to buy a complete crate engine or go the reman route.

Old 11-25-2010, 09:01 AM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 12,229 Likes on 4,776 Posts

After reading just the 1st few post's in this thread I'm thinking I'd like to open a small shop and just work on pre TC bikes. Can't believe the dealers won't do major work on the anything over 10 years old.

Problem is I don't think there are enough Evo's, Shovels and older around here to support such a shop.

I think it's bullshit that Dealerships won't work on the older stuff. I assume they get most of there wrench's from MMI and the like. When I went to MMI I took a course in "Early Model" Back then it covered Pans, Knucks, and Flatheads. Shovels were still part of the regular curriculum. That was in the late 80's.

Old 11-25-2010, 09:06 AM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 12,229 Likes on 4,776 Posts

Originally Posted by geezer glide 56
I would say it is an unfair statement to say that they are unqualified to split the cases...With labor rates approaching $100.00 an hour it would probably be cheaper in the long run to buy a complete crate engine or go the reman route.
When I was working on them the "Flat Rate Book" gave a time of 23 hours for a complete rebuild on a Panhead. That's total rebuild of the entire engine! Splitin a set of a cases and checking bearings does not take anywhere near that long. Just pull the motor, heads and jugs. I'm thinking maybe 7 hours total.

Then of course could be my memory ain't as good I think it is but that's my story and I"m stickin to it.

Old 11-25-2010, 11:59 AM
will2002
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,120 Likes on 1,027 Posts

I've been wonderin' where all of the Evo's got off to. At least five years ago, I was at a toy run where there was over 500 Harleys. I walked the parkin' lot for a couple of hours, and only counted five Evo's way back then! I still think they are a very fine engine, and wish I still had one!

Old 11-25-2010, 12:25 PM
jamesw
Road Warrior
Received 711 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by will2002
I've been wonderin' where all of the Evo's got off to. At least five years ago, I was at a toy run where there was over 500 Harleys. I walked the parkin' lot for a couple of hours, and only counted five Evo's way back then! I still think they are a very fine engine, and wish I still had one!
No Kidding! my wife's 1988 FLSTC seems to be the oldest bike many places we go. Eventually, I really want a Heritage Springer Evo as a second bike.