General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HD service dept. unqualified to split case.....

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 05:20 PM
dstonemega
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug45601
OK... are we suppose to guess what dealership.... and is the wrench 100 years old? or what is this test about?

Oh I know... their mechanic's are young and have no experience in this area but, their combined age is at least 100 years... Right?

Are you serious? Why be an ***?

Old 09-17-2010, 07:46 PM
yljkt
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Unless they have someone on hand with mucho experience, leather mallets, knows what flywheel run-out is, has a truing stand, etc its probably less expensive to get a rebuilt. A GOOD indy shop is more likely to get your bottom end back to you for about $1200 with you doing the lions share of the work. The knife and fork connecting rods, separate flywheels, and single crankpin rebuilding is becoming a lost art. Sad but true.

Old 09-17-2010, 08:03 PM
FroggyFatBoy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

i have to agree with no real mechanics anymore.. i've been pulling wrenchs for almost 30yrs and work in a dealer with 7 other guys.. 6 of those can't do anything but maintenance work or "by the book" repairs.. i consider them to be technicians.. mechanics are a dying breed..

as for lost revenue by tying up a tech doing a o/h, i have to disagree. they charge more to do a o/h than they do for a 5k serv for sure. with the right mechanic they can make way more on major repairs with more billed hrs and higher profit parts than run of the mill services.

Last edited by FroggyFatBoy; 09-17-2010 at 08:12 PM.
Old 09-17-2010, 08:08 PM
yljkt
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FroggyFatBoy
i have to agree with no real mechanics anymore.. i've been pulling wrenchs for almost 30yrs and work in a dealer with 7 other guys.. 6 of those can't do anything but maintenance work or "by the book" repairs.. i consider them to be technicians.. mechanics are a dying bread..

as for lost revenue by tying up a tech doing a o/h, i have to disagree. they charge more to do a o/h than they do for a 5k serv for sure. with the right mechanic they can make way more on major repairs with more billed hrs and higher profit parts than run of the mill services.
I agree 100%. But first, you need the mechanic to do it. And PAY him. Thats the caveat. I know.

Old 09-17-2010, 08:18 PM
FroggyFatBoy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

in cage dealers, you have about 1-2 real mechanics, the rest are lift fillers...

to find out which one is the most expereinced, see which ones have two lifts and multiple small misc parts boxs or can's on his bench and stickers on his tool box older than your married kids.. that guy can fix your car.. a clean, neat work area with no stickers on his box can't fix ****.. but they are good for breaking crap and replacing parts.

Old 09-17-2010, 10:21 PM
CaptJIM
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Sgt. Fury
They probably don't wanna touch it because it's an Evo. Most dealers won't touch anything over 10 years old now.
I don't know about that...my dealer doesn't bat an eye when I roll in with my EVO, and it is an old one.

Old 09-17-2010, 10:45 PM
2kids3pets
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by RFG
There it is in a nutshell.. It's not cost effective.
Yup..

Old 11-21-2010, 08:00 PM
Roosterboots
"Utopian Overlord"
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey, Mike...do you know Mop (just North of Linwood)? If he can't do it, he knows a local engine wizard who can. I met this guy and I can't remember his name to save myself. He drives a '97 Ultra with a chromed out Evo and a sidecar.

Roo!

Old 11-21-2010, 08:10 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

My dealer just did my IPB replacement with a new inner primary case and new trans case and the mechanic was a girl. I have been over the bike with a magnifying glass and her work is absolutely perfect. She must have realigned the complete driveline very carefully because my bike now tracks better and runs smoother than ever before.

If I didn't see all of the take off parts I wouldn't believe they did any work. I am so completely satisfied that I can't believe it. I do plan on calling the MoCo to let them know the high level of quality of the work at this dealer. But they do have several master techs that know their stuff.

Old 11-22-2010, 09:30 PM
beammeup
Road Master
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

a dealership with integrity that says it can't do the work should be appreciated, unless it's under warranty and then I don't know what to say about that.

Quick Reply: HD service dept. unqualified to split case.....