General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vibranators installed and compared

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 08:08 PM
jarhead45
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Vibranators installed and compared

So I went to Ricor to get my front end upgraded. While I was there I got a tour of the shop - really really nice. While I was getting "fitted" Don Richardson walked over from the Vibranator bench and asked me if I ever tried the product. I said yes got em' in now. He said " the new ones?" Hmmmm I thought... So he says Wanna try a new set out? You can guess what I said.

Well there have been some improvements in the spring and adjustments he says. And they are better. I have had them in for a week now and I can say 25% improvement around town with @ 50% improvement on the highway. The only thing left now is a little tingle in my right, throttle side, thumb. My hands used to go numb on the 45 minute ride into work. And that is cruising at @ 75-80. With the old Vibranators I just got a little tingle throughout my hands. Better but not great. Now I just got the tingle in my thumb with the new versions. So I highly reccommend these little do-dads. They work. Besides that they stand by there product and are a great bunch of guys. I will do a write up on the suspension upgrade after I slam the heck out of it this weekend.

Another weird thing there is a visibly and very noticible lack of vibration in the handlebars at idle. I started the bike. Got off and went to the bench to get my helmet, turned around and noticed I COULD SEE MYSELF in my mirror. I have never been able to that - EVER. So these babies deff do something.

Old 09-16-2010, 09:04 PM
Kowan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What are they? A weighted extension on the bars?

Old 09-16-2010, 09:44 PM
wideglidebob
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

what the heck are you talking about

Old 09-16-2010, 09:55 PM
Andjh123
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's a product that is basically like using bar end weights that are specially "tuned" and have a certain degree of elasticity within their mounts--of course this description doesn't do justice to all the technicalities and engineering that go into it. Same type of things they use in skyscrapers, bridges, helicopters etc..to dampen various frequencies of vibration.

Old 09-16-2010, 10:06 PM
jarhead45
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Andjh123
It's a product that is basically like using bar end weights that are specially "tuned" and have a certain degree of elasticity within their mounts--of course this description doesn't do justice to all the technicalities and engineering that go into it. Same type of things they use in skyscrapers, bridges, helicopters etc..to dampen various frequencies of vibration.
thank you .. I dont know the technicles... I just know they work... go to http://www.vibranator.com/ and read all about them

Old 09-17-2010, 02:52 AM
harleyriv
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can acheive most of the benefits by attaching a simple weight (mass) to the end of the bars....around 250gms will make a difference..

Old 09-17-2010, 10:35 AM
RicorSHX
Stage IV

Originally Posted by harleyriv
You can acheive most of the benefits by attaching a simple weight (mass) to the end of the bars....around 250gms will make a difference..
The Vibranator was inspired by the device Eurocopter uses to mitigate rotorhead vibrations. A tuned mass damper is more efficient than adding weight. Helicopter tuned mass dampers (TMDs) use metal springs to suspend the mass as opposed to automotive types that use rubber as a spring. A 'soft' rubber spring can not transmit the bar buzz energy efficiently to and from the TMD dynamic mass. TMDs are the most efficient way known to address harmonic resonance.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tuned_mass_damper

It's irrefutable that holding something that is resonating at a consistent frequency will cause the nervous system to 'fire' the muscles at the same frequency as the input in an attempt to defend against the 'evil' vibrations. Hence the numbness, tingling, twitching, muscle fatigue.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tonic_vibration_reflex

Our vibration meter tests show adding additional weight to the bar end reduces the vibration level by about 25%. Tests show the TMD alone typically reduces the vib level by 50%. TMDs and just a small 3.3oz/93 gram weight on a MX bike test at a 75% reduction. Ducatis tests show a 75% reduction with a 6.6 oz/187 gram bar end weight and TMD. The bar end weights alone dropped the vib level to .5 Gs from the OE .73 Gs.

A few months ago a new motocross bar end weight plus TMD prototype model was tested. The motocross test evaluating the anti arm pump benefits revealed a surprising side effect. The MX tester reported the arm pump was eliminated except a little in the corners when operating the clutch. The MX tester always wears a heart rate monitor. He observed a 10 beat per minute heart rate reduction! It appears that by reducing the massive unnecessary/destructive involuntary muscle firing, the heart doesn't have provide for the increased blood flow demand. Theoretically, there would also be the decreased oxygen demand that could boost performance and brain function.

Last edited by RicorSHX; 09-17-2010 at 11:15 AM.
Old 09-17-2010, 11:36 AM
wideglidebob
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

thanks i thought it was something he bought for his wife to stop vibrating, but that would suck

Old 09-21-2010, 08:12 PM
harleyriv
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The data quoted below is incomplete and mixed. The static end weights could easily reduce the Gs by 75% given sufficient mass.......this is just marketing hype........

Old 09-22-2010, 11:05 AM
Ricor Shocks
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by harleyriv
The data quoted below is incomplete and mixed. The static end weights could easily reduce the Gs by 75% given sufficient mass.......this is just marketing hype........
No offence but we actually do have instruments and measure the vibration. I’m sure if you put a 50# barbell on the end it would reduce the vibration considerably. The mass that we work with need to be reasonable in size. Just to give you one example of the difference between just adding mass compared to a tuned mass damper. A Yamaha FZ6 comes stock with a heavy bar end, 10 oz. We machined our bar end to be similar in weight but added the tuned mass damper. We realized a vibration reduction of 52%. Not marketing hype, real results.

Brian

Quick Reply: Vibranators installed and compared