General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vibranators installed and compared

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 02:25 PM
harleyriv
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ricor Shocks
No offence but we actually do have instruments and measure the vibration. I’m sure if you put a 50# barbell on the end it would reduce the vibration considerably. The mass that we work with need to be reasonable in size. Just to give you one example of the difference between just adding mass compared to a tuned mass damper. A Yamaha FZ6 comes stock with a heavy bar end, 10 oz. We machined our bar end to be similar in weight but added the tuned mass damper. We realized a vibration reduction of 52%. Not marketing hype, real results.

Brian
Ok Brian, I stand corrected - Thanks. Perhaps the comparisons in the literature could be a little more consistent though.

Old 11-30-2010, 12:26 PM
VTwinJaxFL
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for posting this, I have been searching for a solution and will give the Vibranator a try. I will post my results and thoughts afterwards. Do I need to replace the grips when installing or do they just install with the grips on? Didn't see installation instructions on the web site.

Old 11-30-2010, 01:52 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

They came out with something like these for GOLF club shafts yrs ago....

They still make them but they have now mostly just faded away...

Old 11-30-2010, 02:23 PM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Better off finding the source of the vibes, and correcting at that point.

Adding mass (Harmonic tuning) simply changes the the frequency at which you feel the vibration. For example, if you only feel it at a specific rpm, adding mass lowers the rpm you will feel it at (removing mass does the opposite - higher rpm).
This specific item obviosly has some vibe absorbtion mechanism along with the mass.

However:
You are masking a problem, not curing the problem. Moving it to an area that you don't spend as much time in. Successful for some, but more like adding thick goop to your oil to hide lifter noise. Hiding a problem.

Better if you find what is causing the vibration in the first place.
Something specific is causing them, and it will likely get worse (causing them to reappear).

Old 11-30-2010, 02:39 PM
.357 Magnum
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Faast Ed
Better if you find what is causing the vibration in the first place.
Gee Doc, those weird vibrations seem to be originating somewhere in the vicinity of that gigantic, noisy V-shaped thing between your knees!

Seriously, the cause is no mystery, but mitigating the cause isn't trivial. Redesigning the engine as a more naturally-balanced 90-degree V-twin works, as Suzuki and Ducati have shown us, but isn't in the cards for HD. Rubber-mounting and counterbalancing have been done. For the vibrations that remain, lessening the effects is a useful and worthwhile pursuit. Weights, tuned absorbers, gel-palm gloves... whatever works best, by all means, tell the world! Who knows; ya might help somebody.

Old 11-30-2010, 02:56 PM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by .357 Magnum
Gee Doc, those weird vibrations seem to be originating somewhere in the vicinity of that gigantic, noisy V-shaped thing between your knees!

Seriously, the cause is no mystery, but mitigating the cause isn't trivial. Redesigning the engine as a more naturally-balanced 90-degree V-twin works, as Suzuki and Ducati have shown us, but isn't in the cards for HD. Rubber-mounting and counterbalancing have been done. For the vibrations that remain, lessening the effects is a useful and worthwhile pursuit. Weights, tuned absorbers, gel-palm gloves... whatever works best, by all means, tell the world! Who knows; ya might help somebody.
Seriously, the cause is no mystery, but mitigating the cause isn't trivial.
Apparently it is still a mystery! LOL
(They don't all vibrate to the point of causing rider discomfort.)

High crank run out is a leading cause, as are issues with motor mounts.

Tire balance, tire condition are a few other causes.

I know, cheaper and easier to mask the problem with gadgets.

Old 12-01-2010, 08:28 AM
hell hound
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 128 Likes on 106 Posts

this seems like a good idea, but can anyone recommend something I can try with stuff i already have laying around so i don't have to buy something just out of curiosity

Old 12-01-2010, 08:48 AM
Skitzer
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well I for one happen to like what little vibration is left in my 2 Softails.
I will pass on this technology.

Old 12-01-2010, 10:07 AM
hoethree
Elite HDF Member
Received 69 Likes on 21 Posts

I thought this thread was about the vibrators you can install in your saddle for your lady friend passengers.

Old 12-01-2010, 10:27 AM
Blargh
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by .357 Magnum
this is what i was thinking - i know my bike will stop vibrating if i remove the engine, but that would seem to take away some of the fun of riding it?

Quick Reply: Vibranators installed and compared