General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

IMHO: Mesh Jackets and Modular Helmets, Real World Experience

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2010, 06:16 PM
Wendell Allen
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default IMHO: Mesh Jackets and Modular Helmets, Real World Experience

After my little run in with a patch of asphault a while back, resulting in a fractured cheek, a concussion, bruised ribs, and my share or road rash, I made it a point to get a mesh jacket for summer riding and a modular helmet.

I got an official Harley jacket, and one of their modular helmets, which as it turned out is a rebadged AGV Miglia (on sale for $105, thank you very much).

And I have to say, that even after riding for 3 hours in 90+ heat (100 heat index) the last time I was home, I really didn't have a problem with the heat. Although the helmet was best with the visor up at stoplights, the jacket felt even, dare I say it, cool once I was moving at anything north of about 5 mph. And once I was moving even the helmet was reasonably comfortable completely closed.

All in all I'd say this set up is a very good experience and for those wanting for more protection during the warmer months, is worthy of your consideration. I'll certainly be wearing all my PPE when I ride from now on.

Now it's time to put the winter outfit together....

Cheers!
W

Old 09-15-2010, 06:21 PM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 12,256 Likes on 4,783 Posts

I wore one of the Harley mesh jackets on the Hoka Hey Challenge and it made me a believer. I went ahead and bought the packs that go inside that you soak in water and they made a big difference. I didn't try using them in the humid S.E. but once I got out west I was really glad to have them.

Old 09-15-2010, 06:28 PM
VsTheWorld
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

got a powertrip mesh jacket a few months ago, but for whatever reason kept avoiding it until a couple of weeks ago - really like it, I think it feels cooler because it raises your temp slightly until moving so it sort of tricks you? Anyway, I'm glad it works for me - the extra armor sure can't hurt if someone does something stupid....

Old 09-15-2010, 08:36 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,371 Likes on 2,543 Posts

i like to wear a mesh jacket in the summer. i am not a big fan of sunburn! yeah, it is hotter than a t shirt when you are sitting still, but once you get moving, it's nice.

Old 09-15-2010, 08:45 PM
rcaddell
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by skratch
i like to wear a mesh jacket in the summer. i am not a big fan of sunburn! yeah, it is hotter than a t shirt when you are sitting still, but once you get moving, it's nice.
This. I have a Tourmaster Intake Air and it keeps the sun from baking you while moving. When moving it's almost as if it is not there.

Old 09-15-2010, 08:49 PM
El Rey
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Wendell Allen
the last time I was home,

all my PPE when I ride from now on.
These two staements and you being from Houston lead me to believe you work for KBR. Am I correct?

Old 09-15-2010, 08:55 PM
Nubz
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by skratch
I think it would make me more nervous than it would be worth to go riding in just a t shirt even if it was super hot

anyway can someone post a pic or a link to point me in the right direction to see this jacket?

Old 09-15-2010, 09:03 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 49,016 Likes on 17,913 Posts

Originally Posted by Nubz
I think it would make me more nervous than it would be worth to go riding in just a t shirt even if it was super hot

anyway can someone post a pic or a link to point me in the right direction to see this jacket?

May be worth looking into I'm getting too old to be sleeping face down on the kitchen table again ................

Old 09-16-2010, 12:56 AM
karjar
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a Harley Mesh, and an FXGR Perforated Leather jacket. My wife had a textile FXGR Jacket that was cut off her after our recent accident I recently posted on.
I went over the handlebars and slid, bounced and rolled down the hiway. I ended up with some road rash on my knees, and gouge in my shin, my Tissot Titanium watch bezel ground up but still working.
My wifes Textile jacket was sraped up on the back, my perforated leather looks uhh used. But I will not ride again without something based on this latest body meets road episode.
jeff

Old 09-16-2010, 01:02 AM
Nubz
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
May be worth looking into I'm getting too old to be sleeping face down on the kitchen table again ................

LMAo what does this jacket have to do with sleeping on the table?

little over $100 isn't a lot for a good jacket these days either

Last edited by Nubz; 09-16-2010 at 01:05 AM.

Quick Reply: IMHO: Mesh Jackets and Modular Helmets, Real World Experience