General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

IMHO: Mesh Jackets and Modular Helmets, Real World Experience

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 08:09 AM
short stop
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a Bering mesh jacket, a light beige colour so that it doesn't attract the sun. Like everyone else as mentioned, it feels a bit hotter if stuck at a red light, but once moving it feels like you're not even wearing it. Avoiding a sunburn and staying more hydrated is also a bonus. Knock on wood I haven't gone down with it yet, so I can't speak much for how well it would hold up....

Old 09-16-2010, 08:22 AM
trip20
Elite HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Pine Tree
Here is the data. Read closely and you'll see the numbers for NEW competition-grade leather (the stuff you buy for everyday riding is not up to the standards of the comp stuff), kevlar, and even the better nylon stuff.

While the new comp-grade leather performs better then most nylon, the better kevlar beats out the new comp-grade leather every time.

And yes, the upper-end kevlar is approved by most motorcycle racing circuits.
Any idea where Motoport obtained the data? I don't see where they site the originator of the data or is it possibly that these are from their own tests?

I'd feel better analyzing data from an independent source rather than an online store selling $330 kevlar shirts.

Old 09-16-2010, 08:49 AM
honorsdaddy
Road Master

Originally Posted by dfndr
I wear Cycleport.com Kevlar jacket and pants. Breeze goes right thru it and much lighter and crashworthy than heavey leather, believe it or not. Took long trip in 106-109 degree weather and NO SWEAT as long as you are moving. I wont ride without it, but that's just me.
May want to double-check that data my friend.

AFAIK, NOTHING is more crash-worthy than leather.

Incidentally, you can get perforated leather which is just as comfortable, if not more so, than the mesh designs. It isn't cheap, but it is available.

Old 09-16-2010, 08:52 AM
honorsdaddy
Road Master

Originally Posted by Wyde Glyde Bry
Any idea where Motoport obtained the data? I don't see where they site the originator of the data or is it possibly that these are from their own tests?

I'd feel better analyzing data from an independent source rather than an online store selling $330 kevlar shirts.
Im with you on that. I'm not believing any textile is better until I start seeing ALL of the factory-sponsored pros wearing it on the track. Even then, I'm still going to want to see the data.

Old 09-16-2010, 09:18 AM
VsTheWorld
Road Master

http://books.google.com/books?id=b88...thetic&f=false

good read on all things protective for m/c riders (if the link won't get you to the article, search "popular mechanics fast finery" and maybe that will pull up the google result)

leather is better than kevlar, but only if it's .9mm or thicker (heavy leather)

denim/lightweight leather lasted about 5' of sliding, kevlar about 20', and competition weight leather about 80'

the article also points out that abrasion resistance is only one part of the equation, impact protection is needed too

good write-up on helmets, and DOT v. Novelty (basically as I keep saying - a novelty just keeps your brains in close proximity to your skull...you'll still enjoy all the freedom of a traumatic brain injury - so if abrasion resistance is a concern, then a DOT helmet should be on your head).... article also covers boots and gloves

Old 09-16-2010, 09:25 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,371 Likes on 2,543 Posts

Originally Posted by honorsdaddy
May want to double-check that data my friend.

AFAIK, NOTHING is more crash-worthy than leather.

Incidentally, you can get perforated leather which is just as comfortable, if not more so, than the mesh designs. It isn't cheap, but it is available.
not getting in on the crash worthiness of kevlar vs leather, but i do have a perforated leather jacket along with a mesh jacket. and the leather is nowhere near as comfortable in the heat of la than the mesh. just my opinion.....

Originally Posted by Nubz
I think it would make me more nervous than it would be worth to go riding in just a t shirt even if it was super hot

anyway can someone post a pic or a link to point me in the right direction to see this jacket?
they don't sell the one that i have anymore, but this one is close. i would avoid an all-black one, it will be hotter. mine is all silver.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/mcm/m...bmLocale=en_US

Last edited by skratch; 09-16-2010 at 09:28 AM.
Old 09-16-2010, 09:32 AM
WillyD
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is a picture of my jacket I was wearing when I had my accident...I hit the ground at 50-55 mph. I came down on the left side so my left arm and chest took the brunt of the force...I slid quite a ways and I rolled at least twice...The jacket is a Scorpion Hat Trick jacket. I was wearing leather gloves from a leather store too...I had on jeans and boots but no helmet. The jacket was pretty torn and the gloves scuffed pretty well...Out of this whole incident, other than two very small scrapes on my knees, I did not get one minute amount of rash or broken skin anywhere. This is an armored, textile jacket...It saved my *** and I believe I avoided more serious injury (not counting the rash) from having it on. It is armored in the elbows, shoulders and spine....I ended up with a shattered fibula (small bone in the lower leg) around the ankle joint and an almost 90 degree dislocation of my left ankle. Slight sprain of right wrist and a bruised upper left rib....A good quiality leather armored jacket probably would have done this too and I believe nothing cuts the cold wind like leather does...

Can't get pic to load...lemme see wut I can do

Last edited by WillyD; 09-16-2010 at 09:34 AM.
Old 09-16-2010, 09:33 AM
nigelgeast
Road Captain

IMHO:  Mesh Jackets and Modular Helmets, Real World Experience-harley-jacket.jpg

Here is the Harley jacket I used while in the UAE with 110 + deg during the summer months, was great actually kept me cool while moving, comes with padding in sholders and elbows.

Old 09-16-2010, 09:34 AM
TxCowboy
Road Captain

Wife and I both have the Tour Master Draft Air gear set with mesh jacket and pants. Both have the rain proof liners and the quilted cold weather liners as well. Picked both up for about $300 and change. Love 'em here in south Texas.

Like folks have said in other posts, a little warm at stop lights/signs but very nice when about 5+ mph. The armor is a nice plus (comes with the set) and it keeps the Texas sun from baking you too badly.

Old 09-16-2010, 09:42 AM
FLUltrarider
Road Warrior

I've got a Tourmaster mesh jacket that I ride with all year long here in Florida. It is actually cooler to wear it in the summer than just shirt sleeves. It has the snap in wet and cool liners too. It's about perfect for Florida. Up north I could see it being too light in Winter, but the rest of the year I bet it'd be comfortable.

Quick Reply: IMHO: Mesh Jackets and Modular Helmets, Real World Experience