General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why are Horn and Light switches not illuminated???

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2007, 05:45 PM
Kolni
Banned
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default RE: Why are Horn and Light switches not illuminated???

ORIGINAL: PSO169

but my suggestion was just a little bit of illumination just to help find it in the dark.
Jeff

I think the point is that you shouldn't ever have to look down to find them.

I know I don't.

And comparing it to the night sites on your pistol is just silly.

Old 07-21-2007, 07:10 PM
x2lee
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you need to look at the horn to blow it you should really park the bike. NO BS fact.
You should learn the bike before you ride it and if your too stupid to know where the horn is your too stupid to ride. Its about as easy as hey? where my thumb?
ORIGINAL: Manish_Hawg

Because if you need to see them to use them you shouldn't be riding.
What a bunch of BS. When you first started riding you learn how to ride first and signal much later. Signaling is not covered during the MSF. As a new rider I blew the horn at a lot of cars while trying to make a left turn. I took it upon myself to practice but when I wear thicker gloves (when it's cold) I will hit the wrong button. I can see the safety issue with taking your eyes off the road, but I would like to see lights on the switches too. Besides your suppose to take your eyes off the road every few seconds to check your mirrors, other lanes, speed, and surroundings. I wouldn't take my eyes of the road to blown the horn but when everything is calm around me, I would look down to hit the signal until I got use to its location.

Old 07-21-2007, 07:13 PM
EricVonZipper
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why does the sun go on shining? Why does the sea rush to shore? Why do eyebrows and ears grow better hair than your head does, as you get old and useless?

Ahhh, these are things that one must know.

Old 07-21-2007, 07:49 PM
Time2ride
Road Captain
Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

I can see the lawsuits over this one: Man injured while changing lanes. A man on a motorcycle, distracted by looking down to locate the illuminated LH turn signal switch, inadvertantly struck a concretelane divideron state route 555 today. The man said instinct took over and he had switched lanes w/o realizing he had done so because he took his eyes off the road to locate the the turn signal switch. The man also said he had been riding for many years and plans to suethe manufacturer for illuminating the switches and causing the distraction. He went on to say that back in the day, a rider knew where the switch was day or nightand that there was no need for the distractingillumination.... film at 11:00

Old 07-21-2007, 09:36 PM
uktzero
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[sm=wakeup.gif]

all you big, tough ‘real’ riders need to go out and gently sand off ALL traces of the writing on every one of your switches!

and while you're at it, cut the power from your factory fairing switch lights on the ultras ... and why bother with channel display for the CB/stereo ... if you can't change the station without seeing it, you shouldn't be listening to it, or even owning a bike …how’d you get that license!?!?? [8D]

and while our minds are so closed and narrow, get rid of your tachs! ... cuz if you can't tell when to shift by 'feel' and sound of the motor then you shouldn't be riding, or even looking at a Harley, for shame! – look away immediately … I bet every one us takes longer to look at, and read the tach than it would to take a cursory look at a switch light

it’s all sooo horribly dangerous and will cause the whole “film at 11” thing when you look at your cool illuminated (and factory) air temp gauge, making you swerve off the highway, down an exit ramp (causing a van full of handicapped nuns to roll their van and die in a Dodge Caravan sized fireball) and straight into the control room of a nuclear reactor, causing the U.S. (or U.K.) version of Chernobyl … thereby causing motorcycles to become globally illegal and banned [:-]

that scenario is only slightly more fanciful than the other one posted

illuminated grip switches would cause just as many accidents and 'lawsuits' as looking down at your fuel gauge or tach

best get rid of the backlighting on that HVAC control and the PW switch lights in cars, and while we're at it, you guys shouldn’t have individual written numbering on that keyboard to show you the keys either! … if you cant type without looking at the keyboard, you shouldn’t be using a computer! Should I continue?

some of these posts go way beyond closed mindedness, straight onto ignorance and fantasy [sm=badbadbad.gif]

makes me wonder how many people really liked the idea of the illuminated switches, but wanted to seem like a tough uber-rider juggernaught and just followed along

and it’s so obvious that many of the posters on this one didn’t even bother to read the whole thread before piping in here

[sm=rant.gif]

Old 07-21-2007, 09:55 PM
tda69
Stellar HDF Member
Received 78 Likes on 33 Posts

All criticism aside, the answer to your question is, yes. There is a company that makes illuminated switches. They replace the existing wiring in the handlebars and run on low voltage. Looked kinda cool from the pictures I've seen. At the moment I can't recall the company that makes them though. I'll see if I can't dig it up somewhere.

Old 07-21-2007, 11:01 PM
tda69
Stellar HDF Member
Received 78 Likes on 33 Posts

Okay, I searched Kury, Custom Chrome, J&P, Cobra, Drag Specialties and a couple smaller companies. I could not come up with anything. As I looked at the different websites, Custom Chrome stuck out and they did have a large selection of Chrome & Black switches for different years. That looked familiar and when I last saw the illuminated switches, it was amongst those other switches. It's been a couple years since I saw that, but it might be a vendor they no longer stock. If your serious, I'd recommend calling Custom Chrome and ask about those illuminated switches. They may be able to out you intouch with a supplier or the company directly. In the meantime, if I run across them again, I'll send you a PM.

Old 07-21-2007, 11:31 PM
RazorFXDB
Tourer

Sorry, but this is fuc king ridiculous.

No seriously ... it's ridiculous.

Old 07-22-2007, 01:05 AM
scotchrick05
Cruiser

[/quote]

Hey, one man's glance is another man's gawk, or something like that!
[/quote]

As long as you're not glancing at my gawk.

SM

Old 07-22-2007, 08:34 AM
x2lee
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah if we sand of the writing we might have to remember5 things instead of where our thumbs are. lets see 5 digits per hand... 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Icould sand down 10 things and still remember! No, seriously, if someone wants lighted gauges for blingbling, more power to them. If they want them to find the gauges they need to look up the word "rote".

[sm=wakeup.gif]backatcha

ORIGINAL:
all you big, tough ‘real’ riders need to go out and gently sand off ALL traces of the writing on every one of your switches!

Quick Reply: Why are Horn and Light switches not illuminated???