General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why are Horn and Light switches not illuminated???

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2006, 12:00 PM
Manish_Hawg
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: Why are Horn and Light switches not illuminated???

[sm=funnypostabove.gif]

Old 09-12-2006, 12:11 PM
SilverDawg
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

PSO,

Good question. I have often wondered that as well.

Some of you dudes need to lighten up a little and quit playing the bad *** bikers. He asked a legit question. Y'all are entitled to your opinions, but if you choose to be a "big richard" [8D] then I guess that is your choice.

Back to the topic at hand, I wonder if other makers illuminate these buttons. I have more trouble hitting the right button with big gloves on (as previously mentioned). I would be that unlike a car, mfg.'s feel the need not to add cost or weight to the bike in that the controls are pretty much in a standard location on all bikes, at least on Harley's.

They did teach this at my MSF a couple of years ago. Part of the classroom stuff about learning the locations of all buttons and switches.

Now if I could just remember where the damn ignition button is

Old 09-12-2006, 12:33 PM
CSI
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I imagine it would help a bit, and it would look sharp. But, I would rather keep my eyes on the road and fumble with the horn and highbeam switch, than look down to see where the switch is.

Old 09-12-2006, 12:36 PM
sleepneagle
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

don't need. besides, what a hassle replacing blown bulbs.

Old 09-12-2006, 04:48 PM
PosseRider
Road Master
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

First time one of those little bitty bulbs burns out and H-D charged ya $65. an hour to replace, I bet you wont want em again LOL

Old 09-12-2006, 08:31 PM
JAMES2
Road Master
Received 43 Likes on 27 Posts

I can't help but think, you wish you never asked that question!
Their right though, if you can't remember where there are, buy a car!

Old 09-14-2006, 04:22 AM
deadskull
Cruiser

i can see both sides, but personally speaking i have been cut off more than once, and started slapping at what i thought was the horn button only to find that Im either signaling left or flashing my high low beams. i dont use the horn enough (or the high/low) to make my finger automatically go there. Oh and i have been riding for a lot of years, and experience has nothing to do with it. if you dont use a switch all the time, your fingers dont have the "memory" of where to go. I say if someone wants a lighted switch, get one...I might be inclined to get one myself now that i am thinking about that a**hole that cut me off.

Old 09-14-2006, 10:11 AM
DI75
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good question!!

Old 09-14-2006, 10:40 AM
GADave
Road Master

ORIGINAL: kmm

I agree with eveyone concerning illumination, though the signals should be a rocker switch on one side as opossed to they way they are now
You gotta be kiddin' me, Switch 'em like the jap. bikes? NO THANKS. How 'bout we get rid of automatic cancelling too, that's a real pain not to have to turn your signal off.

Buddy bought a VTX1300 Honda. We were out riding about a week ago and switched bikes. The turn signal switch on his bike was a royal PITA! Had been years since I rode a jap. bike and, although I could remember how the stupid switch worked, I couldn't get it right.... push it just a little - in that direction - to turn it off... push it a lot and - damn - other signal is going... push it a little to much again and - damn - other signal is going. Plus, I was constantly riding around with a signal goin' because I'm so used to the self cancelling signals on my Heritage Classic. I'd almost rather Harley move to a water-cooled inline 4 cylinder than change their turn signal switches... Well, OK, maybe that's going a little far.

BTW - Bud's VTX was brand new - literally - 200 miles on it. Although Honda's done an admirable job in the cosmetics, making it look like a Harley, they are nowhere near the ballpark when it comes to making them ride like a Harley. Bud almost wouldn't switch bikes with me because "No man, that's a HARLEY, I can't ride your Harley, I've never ridden one before"... well I talked him into it and by the time we stopped again he was beaming from ear to ear. "WOW that thing's smooth!!! I love the sound, I love the ride, I love the feel. Makes my bike feel like a TOY!". The rest of the day he's saying "I wish I could afford a Harley... someday".

Dave

Old 09-14-2006, 12:21 PM
Sharknose
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: PSO169

Ok if everything from the center of the bike to darn near the end of the hand grips has wires through it, why is the horn, high beam and turn signals not illuminated?? And one step further on all the Glides the stereo controls. I wondered that with my Road King and now with my Ultra. Does anyone make a kit ?
Jeff
They're not illuminated because H-D doesn't think there's enough demand. Otherwise they would offer a "switch illumination kit" as a $200 optional accessory item. Not including, of course, the $49.95 wiring harness adapter.

Quick Reply: Why are Horn and Light switches not illuminated???