General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why are Horn and Light switches not illuminated???

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2006, 06:30 PM
Manish_Hawg
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: Why are Horn and Light switches not illuminated???

aren't you s'posed to figure out where the controls are in the parking lot or driveway? Going down the road isn't the place to be gawking at your handlebars.
No one said gawk......I said glance when it's safe. Beside you can practice all you want doing 20 mph in a parking lot and it's not the same when you get on the road with other cars.
Don't tell me you have never "gawked" at a pretty female in a car next to you, who was checking you out as well. Why is this any different?

Old 09-11-2006, 06:41 PM
Eyespy
Road Warrior
Location: Southern California High Desert, here and there....
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Manish_Hawg

aren't you s'posed to figure out where the controls are in the parking lot or driveway? Going down the road isn't the place to be gawking at your handlebars.
No one said gawk......I said glance when it's safe. Beside you can practice all you want doing 20 mph in a parking lot and it's not the same when you get on the road with other cars.
Don't tell me you have never "gawked" at a pretty female in a car next to you, who was checking you out as well. Why is this any different?
Hey, one man's glance is another man's gawk, or something like that!

Old 09-11-2006, 08:20 PM
PSO169
Road Master

First of all I just didnt get out of the MSF class. I have been riding for 4 years. I know where my switches are but someitmes I hit the wrong ones high beams instead of horn. I am still getting used to radio controls, I go to change the volume and change the from the CD to the Weather Band. I have been operating emergency equipment for over 15yrs, so multi tasking is not the issue. I never have a problem with using the turn signals. I dont need to stare at my gauges, I was just wondering that if there is so many wires already there how hard would it be to illuminate the switches.

Old 09-11-2006, 09:31 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,297 Likes on 484 Posts

We havin' fun, yet? I don't see the need for lighted switches for a couple reasons, which have already been covered here. But in the interest of beatin' a dead horse ...

The lighted switches would present a distraction at night. I don't have any idiot lights on my bike - no turn signal indicators, no high beam indicator, and I replaced the speedo lamp with a dimmer one. I know when my headlight is on high beam during the day 'cause the toggle switch is in the "up" position. I know when it's on high beam at night 'cause I can see the beam pattern. I know when a turn signal is on during the day 'cause the toggle switch is either pointed to the left or the right. I normally use hand signals anyway during the day. At night I can see the dern things flashing. I haven't used a horn for anything other than passing inspection or irritating people in years.

I have no wires on or in my bars. I've probably ripped out 10 pounds of wiring on this bike. It's in a pile in my shop along with the pile from my Shovel, and the pile from my CH.

Muttersickles ain't got no radios. 'Wings do!

Old 09-11-2006, 11:25 PM
cowboy Harry
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah I think it would be ok ifn they were dimley lit. They do make a lighted switch kit for you hog. Ive seen them in the J&P and or Dennis Kirk catalog. [8D]

Old 09-11-2006, 11:28 PM
Scott FXSTI
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: Manish_Hawg

Because if you need to see them to use them you shouldn't be riding.
What a bunch of BS. When you first started riding you learn how to ride first and signal much later. Signaling is not covered during the MSF. As a new rider I blew the horn at a lot of cars while trying to make a left turn. I took it upon myself to practice but when I wear thicker gloves (when it's cold) I will hit the wrong button. I can see the safety issue with taking your eyes off the road, but I would like to see lights on the switches too. Besides your suppose to take your eyes off the road every few seconds to check your mirrors, other lanes, speed, and surroundings. I wouldn't take my eyes of the road to blown the horn but when everything is calm around me, I would look down to hit the signal until I got use to its location.
I'm going to have to call you on that. Even though I've ridden for a good part of my life, I recently took an MSF (Rider's Edge which was free when I purchased my new bike through AAFES) and they most certainly covered lane changing and signaling.

As for why they aren't lighted, I'm going to go with this even though it may not be the best argument.

...for the same reason that they aren't lighted in an automobile. You should know where the are.

Old 09-12-2006, 01:04 AM
IRready
Road Master

This guy is getting flamed for no reason. If he thinks it would help him, then he posted the question. Convenience until you are used to it, no biggie. You know where your AC or radio are in your car, but it sure is convenient to see them. If you get used to where the horn is while in the driveway good, but maybe a dim light on it will prevent an accident? Most don't use the horn often enough to become used to it like a blinker we use all the time. Who knows. I agree you need to become second nature with all of your ride, but no need for all the flames. Maybe paste a small reflective tape till your used to it. Ride safe.

Old 09-12-2006, 01:46 AM
PSO169
Road Master

Thanks for the responses, the good, bad and the bashes. **** I was just looking at my controls and wondered why not a little illumination. Guess i should just sit in my gargae and stare at the buttons. Maybe I could pull out my patrol car and my fire engine and I could be as cool.

Old 09-12-2006, 02:08 AM
2HI2RIDE
Novice

I duct-tape a small kenetic energy powered flashlight to my helmet when I am night riding. I shake my head vigorously to make the flashlight come on to illuminate which ever control I plan to use next. Also handy when peeing behind the bushes on the especially dark nights.

Old 09-12-2006, 02:16 AM
IRready
Road Master

ORIGINAL: 2HI2RIDE

I duct-tape a small kenetic energy powered flashlight to my helmet when I am night riding. I shake my head vigorously to make the flashlight come on to illuminate which ever control I plan to use next. Also handy when peeing behind the bushes on the especially dark nights.
I bet if you shined it one of your ears it would shine right on through too.

Quick Reply: Why are Horn and Light switches not illuminated???