General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A buddy needs some help

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2010, 04:27 PM
mjelson
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation A buddy needs some help

A friend of mine wants to get a Harley, but he is having trouble convincing his wife.

I have given him some points to argue, but wanted to see what the group had to offer. Any ideas?

And before the abuse starts, I did tell him to just get one and apologize later, but that isn't his style.

Old 09-15-2010, 04:31 PM
GrimmRider
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tell her the C-Rocker has a FAT rear tire and her butt will look tiny on the back of the bike.

Old 09-15-2010, 04:48 PM
-Native-
Advanced

Originally Posted by grimmrider
tell her the c-rocker has a fat rear tire and her butt will look tiny on the back of the bike.
lmfao!

Old 09-15-2010, 04:49 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,986 Likes on 17,897 Posts

While it is in ones best interest to include the wife when making a decision like that there does come a time when you either turn in your man card and wear her undies or you remember that you have a set of ***** if she lets you see them anymore .......

Old 09-15-2010, 04:50 PM
-Native-
Advanced

Take her for a test ride on one the vibrations might just win the battle for you O.o

Old 09-15-2010, 05:25 PM
bikergirl40
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
While it is in ones best interest to include the wife when making a decision like that there does come a time when you either turn in your man card and wear her undies or you remember that you have a set of ***** if she lets you see them anymore .......
Pffftttt! ORRRR ... Instead of trying that which would undoubtedly set the tone for some guaranteed friction due to the selfish nature of that approach ... you could choose to consider your relationship a little less shallow, and actually just talk about it.

No one can offer definitive advise on a subject like this because there are way to many variables involved with making such a decision. Your financial position, being your first and foremost consideration. If a purchase like this wouldn't be too financially 'taxing' for your livelihood as a family, then and only then have you got room to even 'talk' about it.

There are many positive aspects of riding and the life you will come to enjoy as a motorcycle enthusiast. If you find this just isn't the time to buy one just yet, rest assured, you will .. someday. Just be realistic with your dreams, and it will happen.

Old 09-15-2010, 05:28 PM
Idaho Spud
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Two approaches:
1. Jewelry
2. Explain that while expensive, its still cheaper than chasing young women.

Old 09-15-2010, 05:34 PM
Fogoms
Road Captain

Originally Posted by bikergirl40
Pffftttt! ORRRR ... Instead of trying that which would undoubtedly set the tone for some guaranteed friction due to the selfish nature of that approach ... you could choose to consider your relationship a little less shallow, and actually just talk about it.

No one can offer definitive advise on a subject like this because there are way to many variables involved with making such a decision. Your financial position, being your first and foremost consideration. If a purchase like this wouldn't be too financially 'taxing' for your livelihood as a family, then and only then have you got room to even 'talk' about it.

There are many positive aspects of riding and the life you will come to enjoy as a motorcycle enthusiast. If you find this just isn't the time to buy one just yet, rest assured, you will .. someday. Just be realistic with your dreams, and it will happen.
Very well stated. Articulate, sensible and most likely the right way to handle it. But I'd go with TwiZted's approach.

Old 09-15-2010, 05:39 PM
Just-a-Guy
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I got married, my wife said to me, "There's one thing you will never do again, and that is, ride a motorcycle." I just chuckled. Went out and bought one and brought it home on a nice sunny summer Saturday. She screamed and cried for about 30 minutes. Then I showed her the extra helmet and told her we had reservations for lunch at the local hot-spot outdoor cafe. It's been uphill ever since. Did the same thing with my Jeep...and my sailboat...and my kayaks...and my guitars. Most of the tools I just slipped in when she wasn't looking and she can't tell the difference.

Parental consent is not necessary to spend one's own hard earned money. (As long as the bills are all paid.)

Old 09-15-2010, 05:45 PM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 339 Likes on 195 Posts

There are two ways to approach arguing with a woman.

Neither one works.

Quick Reply: A buddy needs some help