General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Selling a Bike- Test Rides?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2010, 12:43 PM
donbarnes
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Selling a Bike- Test Rides?

When selling a nearly new bike, what is standard procedure if the prospective buyer asks to ride it? Do you let them? I'm afraid of getting some tire-kickin, joy-ridin, low-forehead with no riding experience that will lay it down...at least with selling a car you can go along with them...

Old 09-15-2010, 12:48 PM
jayray
Tourer
Default No Rides

If he knows what he is looking for he won't need a test ride. It passes inspection, right? Let him follow you in his car and watch. What kind of vehicle does he show up in? I don't let them ride it.

Old 09-15-2010, 12:48 PM
Brewtality
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts
Old 09-15-2010, 12:50 PM
rh8234
Elite HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts

Have him hand you the cash to hold (full amount you are asking). AFTER he puts the cash in your hand, tell him he can take a test ride, and IF he brings the bike back undammaged, you will return his cash. If the bike comes back damaged, the bike is his and the cash is yours. JMHO!

Old 09-15-2010, 12:56 PM
525tom
Cruiser

A motorcycle's drivers license is a must, if applicable in your state. And use your judgement when you first talk to the person and see them. You can tell the serious and who is out for joy rides. Personally, the test ride is the last thing you do before finalizing the deal.

Old 09-15-2010, 01:00 PM
Gliden
Club Member
Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

Nope. Aint happening.

Old 09-15-2010, 01:02 PM
barjbar
Elite HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've sold several bikes and never let anyone test ride them because in Michigan the owner of the vehicle is responsible for the actions of the driver/rider. I'm not accepting the liability of an inexperienced rider crashing on a test ride and his relatives sue me because I let him take it for a ride.

Old 09-15-2010, 01:05 PM
aviator
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

didn't we beat this horse about a month ago?

Old 09-15-2010, 01:11 PM
texas_speed_freak
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Cash in hand before test ride. I also wont let anyone test ride that is looking for "there first bike". Just my luck he will wreck it and sue ME for letting him ride when he doesnt know how to...

That reminds me of a funny story. I had a Kawi ZR-7 for sale and these two guys show up. One is the purchaser, the other is his buddy who "knows how to ride" and is going to test ride the bike since the purchaser has never ridden before. Well let me tell you, the guy who supposedly knows how to ride gets on the bike (after i get full cash in hand, of course) and proceeds to almost drop the bike before its even started!! I ask the purchaser if he is sure about letting his buddy ride and make sure he knows that "he breaks it, he bought it". He tells me, yeah his buddy has had 5 bikes and knows how to ride. Well he takes off, almost side swipes a car as im wincing and comes back after a VERY long 15 minutes. The bike now has road rash on the left side fairing, one turn signal broke and bad road rash on the engine cover. Needless to say he bought the bike...

Last edited by texas_speed_freak; 09-15-2010 at 01:17 PM.
Old 09-15-2010, 01:13 PM
aviator
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by texas_speed_freak
Cash in hand before test ride. I also wont let anyone test ride that is looking for "there first bike". Just my luck he will wreck it and sue ME for letting him ride when he doesnt know how to...
yeah - like I'm gonna show up at your house, or a Walmart parking lot, hand you $10,000 or more in cash and leave it with you?

Quick Reply: Selling a Bike- Test Rides?