General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Selling a Bike- Test Rides?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2010, 01:16 PM
barjbar
Elite HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by aviator
yeah - like I'm gonna show up at your house, or a Walmart parking lot, hand you $10,000 or more in cash and leave it with you?
You show up with 10 grand in hand in a parking lot to test my bike and I'm taking off with the bike and money!

Old 09-15-2010, 01:19 PM
aviator
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

that - and don't you just wonder how many stolen bikes and cars are being sold on craigslist - what's to stop me from posting a craigslist ad, post YOUR bike's photos, and when the potential buyer shows up with all that cash, rob them and take off.

Old 09-15-2010, 01:24 PM
WillyD
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Talking

14 rounds of .45 acp is what would stop someone from taking my cash and running with it...

Old 09-15-2010, 01:25 PM
aviator
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by WillyD
14 rounds of .45 acp is what would stop someone from taking my cash and running with it...
but, do you really want to ride up to the potential buyer, with your gun drawn?

Old 09-15-2010, 01:32 PM
texas_speed_freak
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

yeah - like I'm gonna show up at your house, or a Walmart parking lot, hand you $10,000 or more in cash and leave it with you?
And like im gonna let you test ride a $10,000 bike by yourself without any insurance that your not going to take off and never come back...

Its fine if the person doesnt want to hand me cash, he just isnt going to test ride the bike. With that said NOBODY shows up with that much cash by himself. I take no offense at someone showing up with there buddy and handing me an envelope of cash while his buddy stands next to me the entire time he is test riding. I sell ALOT of bikes and that has always worked for me. Besides, you arent showing up at Wal-Mart... You are showing up at an established motorcycle shop, at least in my case

Old 09-15-2010, 01:34 PM
aviator
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by texas_speed_freak
And like im gonna let you test ride a $10,000 bike by yourself without any insurance that your not going to take off and never come back...

Its fine if the person doesnt want to hand me cash, he just isnt going to test ride the bike. With that said NOBODY shows up with that much cash by himself. I take no offense at someone showing up with there buddy and handing me an envelope of cash while his buddy stands next to me the entire time he is test riding. I sell ALOT of bikes and that has always worked for me. Besides, you arent showing up at Wal-Mart... You are showing up at an established motorcycle shop
just to continue being the devil's advocate here:
not all of us run established motorcycle shops. what about the other 99.999% of us that are just regular guys?

Old 09-15-2010, 01:39 PM
VsTheWorld
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

no

if you want, i'll ride it to a reputable shop of your choice for an inspection (buyer pays) and leave it to the service guys while I wait

Old 09-15-2010, 01:40 PM
Steve On 3
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts

I'll be glad to ride it with him following or he can crank it and test everything sitting there but it's not leaving with him on it until I have his cash. Ain't takin no stinkin checks either unless a certified bank check and my bank confirms it is good and ready to deposit in my account.

Old 09-15-2010, 01:41 PM
texas_speed_freak
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

just to continue being the devil's advocate here:
not all of us run established motorcycle shops. what about the other 99.999% of us that are just regular guys?
Easy solution. Go to your local shop, since they know you and have them act as an intermediary for the sale. Have the shop owner hold the money and if your **** write up a contract stating that in the event of any damage, the party riding the bike agrees to buy the bike for the full asking price. I will, and have done it for customers selling there bike. I for one, would NEVER meet in a wal-mart parking lot. If i cant go to the sellers house, then IMO they want to hide there place of residence for a reason.

Old 09-15-2010, 01:45 PM
arealinvestor
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by donbarnes
When selling a nearly new bike, what is standard procedure if the prospective buyer asks to ride it? Do you let them? I'm afraid of getting some tire-kickin, joy-ridin, low-forehead with no riding experience that will lay it down...at least with selling a car you can go along with them...
Absolutely not,no test rides,no exceptions!!!

Quick Reply: Selling a Bike- Test Rides?