General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

This is what makes us all look bad.

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2010, 12:06 PM
WADELL
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default This is what makes us all look bad.

Trooper: Motorcyclist impaired in wreck that killed passenger

Comments 0

Wednesday, Sep 15 2010, 7:54 am

Kevin Ellis

BESSEMER CITY - The driver of a Harley-Davidson whose passenger died following a wreck Sunday, Sept. 12, admitted to a state Highway Patrol trooper that he had consumed alcohol within an hour of the collision.
Robert Ray Lyons Jr., 47, of Lugoff, S.C., was driving a 2007 Harley-Davidson on Tryon Courthouse Road, north of Dameron Road, when he traveled across the centerline and hit a 2004 Isuzu head-on.
A passenger on Lyons' motorcycle, Leslie Deason, 42, of Bessemer City, died as a result of that wreck.
Lyons was cited for driving while impaired. A sample of blood from Lyons was taken for the purpose of determining impairment five hours after the wreck, according to a warrant affidavit.
Lyons admitted "to having a couple drinks of alcohol 45 minutes before collision," according to a warrant affidavit signed by Highway Patrol Trooper J.B. Thornburg.
Lyons was taken to Carolinas Medical Center in Charlotte for treatment after the wreck.

I know some of you on this forum get upset when something like this is posted but if you do so be it. Things like this don't need to happen. Some people can't get their priorities inline and this is what happens.
If you look at the pic. in my post thats enough for me to not drink and drive and I have seen other pics of some of your family on here that are great. I don't want these 2 little boys growing up without me for something stupid that I caused or done. I hope alot of you on here think the same way. If you don't, I have no control over that only you do. Have a great day and ride safe so you can return home to your family.

Old 09-15-2010, 12:16 PM
artz
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its a shame as to what happened to both parties. As long as more and more people ride, this scenario is just gonna happen. Continued education and improved riding is the key to our success.

Old 09-15-2010, 12:27 PM
cadman311
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

People like this still think they can drive

Attached Thumbnails This is what makes us all look bad.-drunk_peasants_i_gave_up_drinking_when_i_woke_up_collection-s500x414-52588-580.jpg  
Old 09-15-2010, 12:29 PM
RussianMonk
Tourer

People need to remember it can happen to them.

Old 09-15-2010, 12:38 PM
Dog Father
Cruiser

I don't think the fact this guy was drinking did anything to make "us all look bad". People are stupid and doesn't really matter what they are driving. Some people will never get it, until they kill someone...

Old 09-15-2010, 12:43 PM
Hollywood Ball
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Doesn't reflect on me at all as I don't drink and drive/ride.

That said, choosing to drink and drive/ride is a poor choice. Also a poor choice: choosing to get in a car or on a bike with an impaired driver.

Old 09-15-2010, 01:10 PM
barjbar
Elite HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

40% of all fatal motorcycle accidents, the RIDER was legally drunk. My wife is an RN. She said they got a man in emergency who crashed with his wife in a motorcycle accident. He said he hit a rock in the road and lost control. The wife was transported to a different hospital. When they took a blood draw his blood alcohol was significantly over the limit. The cops came in his room and arrested him for dui. I certainly have no idea why anyone would drink and ride but it obviously happens all the time.

Old 09-15-2010, 01:18 PM
DeafUltra
Elite HDF Member
Received 119 Likes on 83 Posts

No remorse feeling for the person who got arrested for DUI, but RIP to the woman who died in an senseless accident.

Really, There's no significant reason to drink and drive/ride. Yes, I do drink when my keys to the Harley is stashed away for the night.

Ride safe,

Thorey

Old 09-15-2010, 01:22 PM
lrays280z
Road Master

I don't make it a habit, but my limit is one beer if I'm riding the bike.

Old 09-15-2010, 01:25 PM
harleyriv
Road Master

Drink impairment is bad enough if driving a car, but when fine control of balance is required to ride a motorcycle, it can easily result in tragedy.

Quick Reply: This is what makes us all look bad.