General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Insurance - Experience with Progressive?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2010, 09:09 AM
FatJohn
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Insurance - Experience with Progressive?

I've had my auto/bike insurance with Liberty Mutual for years. But thanks to that hot babe "Flo", I went and checked out Progressive's rates. They're maybe 30% cheaper! That's tough to pass up!

Anyone had any experience making claims with Progressive? Any good or bad things to say?

Old 09-15-2010, 09:23 AM
Tex42
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good friend of mine last year had a bad motorcycle wreck with extensive injuries. Progressive was great in every aspect of the medical needs, repairs to the bike and they were very happy with them.
That said, lots of people don't like them for their politics.

Old 09-15-2010, 09:26 AM
Kapture1
Advanced

Yeah I sell Progressive.

I have stories of them being great when you have a loss, I have stories where they took 9 months to pay a total on a bike they had insured for stated amount when they had the appraisal and photos when the policy was written. It goes both ways, and it all comes down to the adjustor you have at the time of loss. I would say most are good, even great, but there are always the few jacka$$es.

I have progressive for my bike insurance, and IMO, Flo is fugly and annoying as hell.

Old 09-15-2010, 09:32 AM
Mike T
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I totaled a bike out with Progressive insurance and had a check in my hand in 3 days.

Old 09-15-2010, 09:51 AM
Brewtality
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

i am loving progessive.

Old 09-15-2010, 10:00 AM
69z28
Road Warrior

I've had my bikes and 5th wheel insured with Progressive,the only claim I've had is when my dumbass cought the corner of my house with the camper and destroyed the awning.Next day an adjuster was in my yard and wrote me a check to replace it.

Old 09-15-2010, 10:04 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,370 Likes on 2,543 Posts

may i suggest checking through hd insurance? in my area, they are underwritten by progressive. if i go straight through progressive, it is more expensive than going through hd. even though it is the same policy, same coverage.

i've made 2 claims with them. neither was for an accident. first time, we were unloading the bike from the truck after just buying it, and a ratchet strap popped and the bike fell over. hadn't even put 1 mile on it yet. i didn't notice the crease in the fuel tank for a couple of weeks and even then they had no problem paying out. they cut me a check that was enough for me to buy a new fuel tank, with front fender off of ebay, same color, better logo

the second time, someone tried to rip off my bike and dropped it on the right side. bent handlebars, fugged up the throttle, scratched up the pipes (v&h bigshots), broke front and back turn signals, and messed up the footpeg. cut me a check on the spot. again, check was enough to repurchase those items that i had to, picked up some used parts, and also bought some stuff for the wife's bike.

and no, that isn't insurance fraud. if you do the work yourself, you are entitled to the labor costs. and if there is something that you can live with that is scratched (like a footpeg), then go for it.

oh, and they didn't raise my rates for making either of those claims.

also, look closely at the discounts offered. pay in full, save about $100, own a house? save some, abs, anti-theft, multiple vehicles, msf course, no claims in a certain period, safe driver.... all adds up.

Old 09-15-2010, 11:08 AM
aviator
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

my only experience with Progressive came about 6 years ago. the adjuster was at the shop a day after the bike was towed in. a couple of days later, he called asking if I were wearing a helmet - yes I was. he wanted it so he could update my claim. he took the helmet and did a web search, allowing me the msrp from the manufacturer for it.

I stayed with them for several years after that... then Markal (HD's insurance branch) beat them on my premimums.

Old 09-15-2010, 12:24 PM
Kapture1
Advanced

The good thing about Progressive is that their adjustors for motorcycle claims only handle motorcycle claims. Other companies have adjustors to handle all of the specitality lines products (motorcycle, snowmobile, atv, motorhome, travel trailer, boat, ect) effecting claims reaction time and product knowledge.

Old 09-15-2010, 12:28 PM
happyh99
Intermediate

I've never had a claim, but they cash my premium checks like a champ! Never had to remind them or call to see what's up, nothing.

Quick Reply: Insurance - Experience with Progressive?