General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leather jacket care tips...

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 09:40 AM
frog13
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

I've been using Fiebing's All Purpose Leather Cleaner and Conditioner for many, many years now on everything leather, real good stuff. I usually do it once, maybe twice a year, it cleans and conditions all in one step. My current jacket and chaps are probably pushing between 20-25 years and they look good, some normal wear and tear. Usually when I condition them, I get a few "Did you get new leather" questions because they look much newer after the conditioning. I buy it at Fleet Farm up her in the north, but I've seen it many places, especially places that deal in western gear.

Old 09-14-2010, 09:42 AM
frog13
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by cadman311
It's as easy as put on water proof silicone spray.

Silicone spray, good for waterproofing, but they tell me BAD FOR LEATHER. Leather pores are supposed to stay "open" and "breathe", silicone supposedly plugs those pores. It will waterproof it, but not sure it's good for it.

Old 09-14-2010, 10:00 AM
roadking2000
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 128 Likes on 101 Posts

Lexol is a very well known product by anyone that rides horses. It's been used on saddles and tack for years. Go to any horse show and you will see it in everyone's tack box. Lexol comes in a cleaner and a conditioner that does wonders for old, dry leather. It will keep any leather garment in like new condition for years and years. It's basically a simple spray and wipe product and it will preserve the leather upholstery in your car or home and it's not very expensive.

Old 09-14-2010, 10:01 AM
Nubz
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

this is true
take care of leather and it will last you a lifetime

I have a jacket I got 20 years ago that still looks pretty close to new

of course it doesn't fit anymore but that's ok my daughter has been eye balling it and I told she could have it when it fits her

Old 09-14-2010, 10:28 AM
cadman311
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Leatherguard is an interesting product designed to protect leather material from spills, cracking, mildew and even ultraviolet damage. Liquiguard Technologies, Inc., the manufacturer of Leatherguard, claims that the product is "more than a moisture repellent" and that it's the "first truly protective coating that can withstand spills of water, beverages, wine and other non-corrosive liquids while keeping the coated objects free from mold, mildew and other fungi".

Old 09-14-2010, 10:32 AM
cadman311
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use silicone on leather for the past 40 years. Mink oil is good for a short rain but silicone spray is good for long riding seasons and you can use mink oil on top of the waterproofing silicone spray. If you want the good smell of mink.

Last edited by cadman311; 09-14-2010 at 10:34 AM.
Old 09-14-2010, 01:05 PM
hotshoe
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use Montana Pitch-Blend oil and leather conditioner. Works great and does not block the leather pores so the leather can still breathe.

Old 09-14-2010, 01:36 PM
brenn
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Beav
Great info Capt...
Will the cleaner/conditioner take the smokey smell out of it?
Bought a used one from a fellow at work (good deal / heavy as hell) but it smells so bad the wife had me hang it in a closet up in the bonus room. I agree with her, and I smoke as well, but it's BAD.
Won't be long before it's needed. Lows down in the mid 50's my way...

Beav
I bought one like that (wearing today, as a matter of fact). I hand washed it in the bathtub with water and laundry detergent. Worked fine. Recently I got a Schott leather aviator's hat (snoopy cap) and I just washed it in the washer with a load of clothes. People have fits about getting leather wet, but it gets wet when you wear it in the rain and that has never hurt mine, so I figured it beats paying more than a used jacket cost to have it cleaned.

Old 09-14-2010, 01:50 PM
leanhog
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you store it during an off-season, turn the jacket inside out to keep dust off the leather.

Old 09-14-2010, 02:20 PM
*NIGHT TRAIN*
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by oldairboater
I like old aged leather. Every flaw and scar has a story.

There ya go...

Quick Reply: Leather jacket care tips...