General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motorcycles made before 2013

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 02:35 PM
BBStacker
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by csbreeze
Since the public does not understand us, doesnt want to understand us, and are bias against us this new law is just something to use against us. Bikers have been seen as trash since the first motorcycle was made.
I honestly don't think people thought that Gottlieb Daimier was trash.

When any exhaust with out the EPA sticker is illegal it will only take a few seconds to write a ticket. Just pull you over,glance at your pipes and write you up.A road side check point could write hundreds on a good summer day. How many times can we afford that?

Most if not all of those stickers will in all likelihood be on the back or underside of the pipes. Lots and lots of LEO's ride and yup yup they aren't running EPA street legal pipes either. They have better things to do than crawl around your bike checking for that little sticker.

if you ever ride in calif, with out a gas mask you would understand why they need all these epa laws.

Guess it's been awhile since you rode in Cali. Last time I checked the "EPA" covers all 50 states. Cali just has stricter states laws about emissions. Don't fret though eventually it will make its way to a state near you. If you don't believe that crawl under your cage and check out your cat converter. That was invented in Los Angeles by Eugene Houdry because he was tired of all the smog. Lo and behold, by 1975 all cars had to one. Opps. I guess things that start in Cali. do travel across all of the states.

This dip chit preposed law started out as a "loud pipes" enforcement by a someone that doesn't like noise from your bedsprings either. Such is life.

Old 09-13-2010, 02:46 PM
El Rey
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by BigGdawg
Why would anybody care what Califunnya enacts. In the next civil war, they will be on the enemy side.
I sure hope you served your country to back up some dumb *** comment like that. I live here in california, but am not originally from here, but it is my home, and last time I checked; still part of the United States of America.

I have family that fought on both sides in the Civil War, even got family that fought in the Revolution.

Old 09-13-2010, 05:28 PM
F4Phantomsphorever
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 70 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by BigGdawg
Why would anybody care what Califunnya enacts. In the next civil war, they will be on the enemy side.
ROFL.

Old 09-13-2010, 06:19 PM
hddan502
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by wideglidebob
illegal is illegal now or later your loud pipes won`t be grandfathered in there illegal now. and smog controls can be taken off, if you want a illegal bike now or later
Is that a tongue twister?

Old 09-13-2010, 06:28 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 932 Likes on 574 Posts

Who is not aware that you must have stock pipes for many years now. Why do you think that the stamped area on the muffler exists. Have you not read your owners manual on the subject?

You can be stopped in any state now with non stock pipes. With the economy in the dumps more states will use it for revenue. You betcha!

California is a primacy State that enforces Federal EPA regulations through it's own agency. Illinois is another. It is Federal law that is being enforced.

Last edited by lh4x4; 09-13-2010 at 06:31 PM.
Old 09-13-2010, 06:40 PM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,747 Likes on 2,013 Posts

Fact is, it's been illegal to modify ANY "emissions related component" of any mototrcycle made since 1978. Just because your locality isn't currently enforcing the law very tightly, doesn't make it "legal".

That's why my '94 came with a plug sealing the idle mixture screw and the timer cover riveted shut-to prevent owner "tampering" with the emissions equipment, as was required by law.

Old 09-13-2010, 06:44 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Just-a-Guy
Nixon, Reagan, Schwarzenegger...
You have a stroke today? Reagan, Nixon commies????

Old 09-13-2010, 06:46 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by El Rey
I sure hope you served your country to back up some dumb *** comment like that. I live here in california, but am not originally from here, but it is my home, and last time I checked; still part of the United States of America.

I have family that fought on both sides in the Civil War, even got family that fought in the Revolution.
I don't see EPA approved exhaust on that bike.....

Old 09-13-2010, 06:49 PM
NickD
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

The laws pertaining to motorcycles are already more onerous in the states back east than in California. I'm always amazed how you red necks bag on California while sporting your ugly annual inspection stickers. Try looking at the laws in Maine, or that bullshit in Myrtle Beach! Or the motorcycle only checkpoints springing up all over the Northeast. So shut up! You conservative Fox News/Glen Beck/Tea Party morons are getting just what you deserve!

Ya like freedom? Than go thank a liberal! . . .

Old 09-13-2010, 06:55 PM
Just-a-Guy
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KBFXDLI
You have a stroke today? Reagan, Nixon commies????

Uh, I was pointing out the foolishness of suggesting that all California produces is "commie" politicians. At least that's what I was trying to do.

Quick Reply: Motorcycles made before 2013