General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

When Too Fast Isn't Fast Enough...

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 02:20 PM
Kapture1
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When too fast isn't fast enough... you get a sportbike LOL

The motorcyclest who was quoted saying, "faster...Faster... FASTER until the fear of speed overcomes the fear of death" is no longer with us.

Old 09-14-2010, 02:29 PM
sgod1100
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Kapture1
When too fast isn't fast enough... you get a sportbike LOL

The motorcyclest who was quoted saying, "faster...Faster... FASTER until the fear of speed overcomes the fear of death" is no longer with us.
that's is true, but you gotta love the sound of a harley at WOT!! Thats one thing a sport bike will NEVER sound like

Old 09-15-2010, 08:31 AM
PFWiz
Stellar HDF Member

Received 384 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by sgod1100
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turbocharger

look at this and then you can go ahead and tell me that you are wrong. A Turbo IS a type of supercharger. By the way, i know the difference between the two
I always distrust wikipedia (I could have written that entry) so I went of to prove your ignorance elsewhere. Alas, the best laid plans of men and bikers...
According to Merriam-Webster's dictionary, a supercharger is defined as:
"a device (as a blower or compressor) for pressurizing the cabin of an airplane or for increasing the volume air charge of an internal combustion engine over that which would normally be drawn in through the pumping action of the pistons".
A turbocharger is defined as:
"a centrifugal blower driven by exhaust gas turbines and used to supercharge an engine".

According to Webster's, a turbocharger is included in the definition for superchargers - it is in fact a very specific type of supercharger - one that is driven by exhaust gasses. Other superchargers that do not fall into this category - the kind that we are all used to hearing about - are normally driven directly from the engine's crankshaft via a crank pulley. So in reality, it is not fair to compare all superchargers to turbochargers, because all turbochargers are also superchargers. For the purpose of this discussion, however, a supercharger will be considered all superchargers that are are not driven directly by the engine, while turbochargers will be considered all superchargers that are driven by engine exhaust gasses.

I just hate it when the other guy isn't wrong! I hate it even worse when I have to eat crow... (could you pass the mustard?) OK I admit it, I was wrrrrr, wrrwrro, wrrwrrwro, I was mistaken. A turbocharger is a subtype of supercharger.... (picking feathers stuck between teeth...)

Last edited by PFWiz; 09-15-2010 at 08:34 AM.
Old 09-15-2010, 09:02 AM
AllenW
Elite HDF Member
Received 119 Likes on 88 Posts

Inner coolers are nice, but there's not always room to hang one on a bike, and you can build major boost with out one.
And boost is what its all about.

With the HD exhaust pluses, not so sure a turbo would work anywhere near as well as a supercharger, unlike the inline 4 of the metric bikes.

Also wondering what needs to be done to the HD motor when boost numbers start to rise.
My exprience has been with older Suzuki motors and there's a direct relationship to increasing boost and broken parts, would be the same for HD, so I wonder how much boost this guys running or is it show and little go?
Not to mention the requirement for leaded high test gas (C-116 or turbo blue comes to mind) will major boost numbers.

I agree with the other Al, a big twin cammed motor might be more feasible, but it sure wouldn't get the looks that this one will...

Nice set up..

Al

Old 09-15-2010, 09:13 AM
Kapture1
Advanced

Originally Posted by sgod1100
that's is true, but you gotta love the sound of a harley at WOT!! Thats one thing a sport bike will NEVER sound like

True.

But I kinda like the high pitch scream of 15,000 RPMs

Old 09-15-2010, 09:38 AM
inaroush
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Holy ****

Old 09-15-2010, 11:43 AM
sgod1100
Road Captain

Originally Posted by PFWiz
I always distrust wikipedia (I could have written that entry) so I went of to prove your ignorance elsewhere. Alas, the best laid plans of men and bikers...
According to Merriam-Webster's dictionary, a supercharger is defined as:
"a device (as a blower or compressor) for pressurizing the cabin of an airplane or for increasing the volume air charge of an internal combustion engine over that which would normally be drawn in through the pumping action of the pistons".
A turbocharger is defined as:
"a centrifugal blower driven by exhaust gas turbines and used to supercharge an engine".

According to Webster's, a turbocharger is included in the definition for superchargers - it is in fact a very specific type of supercharger - one that is driven by exhaust gasses. Other superchargers that do not fall into this category - the kind that we are all used to hearing about - are normally driven directly from the engine's crankshaft via a crank pulley. So in reality, it is not fair to compare all superchargers to turbochargers, because all turbochargers are also superchargers. For the purpose of this discussion, however, a supercharger will be considered all superchargers that are are not driven directly by the engine, while turbochargers will be considered all superchargers that are driven by engine exhaust gasses.

I just hate it when the other guy isn't wrong! I hate it even worse when I have to eat crow... (could you pass the mustard?) OK I admit it, I was wrrrrr, wrrwrro, wrrwrrwro, I was mistaken. A turbocharger is a subtype of supercharger.... (picking feathers stuck between teeth...)

lol...i wasn't trying to sound like a dick. Sorry, if I did. Honestly, I never knew that until I started researching turbos and centrifugal superchargers.(a couple years ago) That is when I realized that both "supercharge" the air coming in and really the only difference is how they are driven/powered

Old 09-15-2010, 11:46 AM
sgod1100
Road Captain

Originally Posted by AllenW
Inner coolers are nice, but there's not always room to hang one on a bike, and you can build major boost with out one.
And boost is what its all about.

With the HD exhaust pluses, not so sure a turbo would work anywhere near as well as a supercharger, unlike the inline 4 of the metric bikes.

Also wondering what needs to be done to the HD motor when boost numbers start to rise.
My exprience has been with older Suzuki motors and there's a direct relationship to increasing boost and broken parts, would be the same for HD, so I wonder how much boost this guys running or is it show and little go?
Not to mention the requirement for leaded high test gas (C-116 or turbo blue comes to mind) will major boost numbers.

I agree with the other Al, a big twin cammed motor might be more feasible, but it sure wouldn't get the looks that this one will...

Nice set up..

Al
"Inner coolers are nice, but there's not always room to hang one on a bike, and you can build major boost with out one.
And boost is what its all about."

Boost is relative to how efficient the blower is...I guarantee that my procharger running at 12psi is much faster than that magnuson running at 12psi. Why? because of the density of that air charge. With the procharger it's not heating the air up as much as with the magnuson. Mine also has an intercooler to further help with cooling the air charge down

Old 09-16-2010, 07:01 PM
deegriff55
Intermediate

like tim always said on tool time more power is good