General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SERT's , power cammanders ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2010, 01:25 PM
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SERT's , power cammanders ?

Can someone fill me in ? just give me the quick run down ?

I have a ALL STOCK 2005 Heritage Softail, 88B motor 5spd. the only mods I have is a stage 1, I have SE exhaust, and whatever they do to the air cleaner for the stage one, the fuel was " re-mapped" be harley, which I am starting to understand was a "rip off " ? should i buy a SERT ? and that will eliminate the need for a re-map in the future ?

will a SERT give me more power less milage, or can be programmed a certain way ?

What if I took out my battery ? did I loose my "re-map" ?

Old 09-13-2010, 03:08 AM
Harleybass
Road Captain

Originally Posted by 191185
Can someone fill me in ? just give me the quick run down ?

I have a ALL STOCK 2005 Heritage Softail, 88B motor 5spd. the only mods I have is a stage 1, I have SE exhaust, and whatever they do to the air cleaner for the stage one, the fuel was " re-mapped" be harley, which I am starting to understand was a "rip off " ? should i buy a SERT ? and that will eliminate the need for a re-map in the future ?

will a SERT give me more power less milage, or can be programmed a certain way ?

What if I took out my battery ? did I loose my "re-map" ?
Is your bike running OK?

Chances are the re-map your talking about is a Stage 1 download. It's a pretty generic download that enriches the fuel/air mixture.

The modifications you speak of, will lean the mixture and make the engine run too lean, creating excess engine heat, excessive pipe discolorization.

I really don't think it's a rip-off, cost should run about $150. It's a one time deal, if you have it done again it'll be another $150.

However

The SERT or Screamin Eagle Race Tuner, is a part that you buy, basicly it's a key, that allows the HD Tech, to gain entry to your bikes computer. It's married to your bike by VIN # and cannot be used on any other bike. The best way to get the full potential out of your bike, is to Dyno tune your bike using the SERT.

The Tech will use the SERT to gain entry to you bikes computer, he will do a series of dyno runs, and tune your bike to the equipment that you have installed. (pipes,breather,cams,ect) The idea is to balance the fuel/air mixture over a wide ban of simulated riding runs.

The SERT, also holds the program, that was used, in it's memory. It is then disconected and given to you, for safe keeping. Any changes you make in the future, will have to use the SERT, to gain entry to the bikes computer, the adjustments made and the whole process repeated.

On average I think you could expect an aprox 10% HP and Torque increase, by using the SERT and the Dyno. Also without the Dyno run the SERT is a huge waste of money.

My SERT was $450 + $300 for the Dyno run. I mainly had it done to my bike, just to lower the tremendous engine heat problem I had. I'm sold on it, I made the mistake, of doing the Stage 1 download first, also. The bike ran better but the Engine heat was unbearable. The SERT made it run great and it helped me "Beat the Heat!!

Last edited by Harleybass; 09-13-2010 at 03:16 AM.
Old 09-13-2010, 05:36 AM
Banned

Thanks! no the bike is running just fine, I was just trying to gain some knowledge.. . Sounds like if I ever do any additional work on my bike, like Cams, etc, I'll get a SERT and dyno too. ..

And most Indy's can mess around with a SERT I hope ? not JUST Harley ?

Old 09-13-2010, 06:49 AM
IndyClassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks! no the bike is running just fine, I was just trying to gain some knowledge.. . Sounds like if I ever do any additional work on my bike, like Cams, etc, I'll get a SERT and dyno too. ..

There are several that can, need to ask and get a "comfort" level. One trick I have read but not used yet is to ask how long a tune with SERT will take. 1 hour = bad, 3-4 hour = good (to keep it simple).

Dealer where I bought my 08 did a "bad" tune. So much so I added the PCV which worked great with the proper map from FM. There is a local Indy where we now live and I think I am going to give him a shot at the SERT as he has me convinced I will get a good tune from him.

Why would I change since I like the PCV performance? My SERT is married to my bike and if local Indy can tune properly then I can move the PCV to the wife's scoot we picked up this summer. Her's is stock at this point-in-time.

Old 09-13-2010, 05:53 PM
Harleybass
Road Captain

I really can't tell you that. I was under the impression that Harley Dealers were the only ones able to use the SERT. I certainly could be wrong on that. I don't do Indy shops.

Old 09-13-2010, 07:33 PM
user 8373900
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

It's just software, if they have the program and the know how, you could have it tuned at your local lawnmower shop.

Mark

Old 09-13-2010, 07:36 PM
mech-a-nic
Tourer

I have a Power Commander and its the same Idea. But the remaps are free unless tou want it dino'ed
I called them with my specks of my bike and the sent me a coustom map I downloaded and it runs great.

Old 09-14-2010, 03:45 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

heres some reading on the different F/M's.
http://www.hdtalking.com/diagnostics...mparisons.html