General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

We Failed...

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2010, 11:35 AM
anickel
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You probably still did more miles in 36 hrs than some do all season!

Old 09-12-2010, 08:15 PM
rdam
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 36 Likes on 23 Posts

If it was easy, everybody would do it.

My wife's got an 883L, and I KNOW there's not a chance in hell she would ever do it. 350 miles or so is her max...And I think my longest day was just shy of 500.

Old 09-12-2010, 08:54 PM
mavrickFLHR
Road Master
Received 31 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm with everyone else I don't see a failure at all... you guys did great and you'll have this ride to remember. congrats and more power to ya both.. especially your wife on a sporty..

cheers

mavrick

Old 09-12-2010, 09:57 PM
goodbirds
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Lightbulb

In 1975 we did the California 1000. It only ran about three consecutive years because too many people were crashing and dying due to fatigue and other causes.

My buddy and I did it. We left Los Angeles Harley Davidson at midnight Friday night. The route took us north through Fillmore, Buttonwillow, King City, Fresno, then up CA 49 to Jackson, Placerville, Meyers, Lone Pine, Adelanto, Phelan, Wrightwood, and then down Azusa Canyon to the interstate back to LA HD. We were given a map, checkpoints, and a "start" pin. The checkpoints had a two hour window that meant if you got there too late, you don't finish. If you got there too early, you had to wait for the checkpoint to open.

We slept in an A&W parking lot in Fillmore for about three hours, and rode to Jackson airport on the mapped route. Slept there for 4 hours, then back at it. A piece of the route took us off US 395 toward Death Valley then back to Lone Pine, adding 120 miles. About 11 pm Sunday night, we got to Azusa Canyon, a 30 minute ride to the interstate, and then made a high speed dash to the finish. We got there at 11:58, just in time to get our finish pin.

The California 1000 was actually 1120 miles in total. We rode back toward San Bernardino, but stopped in Montebello at a Denny's. I think we stayed there for about two hours, trying to regain enough alertness to ride on home.

I met a fellow in Grants, NM in May who was doing an Ironbutt. He was so tired, he leaned up against his Goldwing and fell asleep instantly.

I don't recommend doing "endurance" runs, because you get so tired, you lose your edge, which puts you at extreme risk.

Old 09-12-2010, 10:08 PM
layne
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks again everyone! I am positive we will be making another attempt next year. On this one, we looked at the weather and saw on that day that there would be "scattered" afternoon thunderstorms. The chaps and jackets and FF helmets did pretty well keeping us dry. I think if the temps had been 10 or 15 degrees warmer it probably would have been do able.

At least we got to see some beautiful country side! It is amazing how clear the air is after the rain knocks down the dust and stuff! Wish we could have taken more pics of the country side, but when trying to catch up... Oh well...

Originally Posted by 55Bubba
Now yo know how hard it is and what you can change to make it easier or better. I'd be interested in heearing you rthoughts on that as I am contemplating one myself.
I did feel a bit guilty because we did a ride down through Yellowstone and up over the Beartooth Highway in early August (an 850 mile two day training ride) and my ****-a-sore-*** was complaining so in preparation for this ride I bought us each an Airhawk seat cushion. So, didn't really have Saddle Sore at the end... That is the best long distance riding investment I have made YET!!!! We also had snacks, gatorade, a couple extra liters of gas, some basic tools, a tire patch kit, and a change of clothes...

I admit that my "keep the legs close to the tank" muscles were SORE at the end...

Last edited by layne; 09-12-2010 at 10:11 PM.
Old 09-12-2010, 10:14 PM
fxdx-fly-by
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

even if you didnt get 1000 in a day you still had one hell of a trip to remember i bet! better luck next time!

Old 09-12-2010, 10:19 PM
layne
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wideglidebob
big friggin deal now instead of a rub you aren`t a real biker unless you do a 1000 mile trip
I really wouldn't consider myself a RUB... I sold my last bike, a Yamaha 750 Special, in 1995 and promised myself I wouldn't get myself another bike until I could get a Harley. It took me 15 years between the kids, moving here and there, and being able to afford the payments, to make that promise and dream come true. I admit I got a Harley jacket cause I like it. I don't even live in town or an urban area by definition. I am a Harley fanboy because I have waited a long time to get one. I don't ride to prove anything to anyone but myself. I like the challenge, I thought it sounded cool when I first saw someone talking about an SS1000 on here. Just like to ride, just like my bike.