Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire Shine On HD Tires????

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2010, 11:41 AM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,970 Likes on 17,892 Posts

Sidewalls support the rest of the tire ...... they go so do you The bike will start wallowing around like you just got 300lb girlfriend .

I understand not everyone is tech savvy but damn

Old 09-10-2010, 11:55 AM
Matt990724
Road Master
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
Sidewalls support the rest of the tire ...... they go so do you The bike will start wallowing around like you just got 300lb girlfriend .

I understand not everyone is tech savvy but damn
This makes more sense to me.. sorry, not trying to be dense..

If you are saying, that anything that weakens the sidewall, compromises the overall tire, I get that!.

I was responding to the posts of "armor-all on your sidewalls will make you slip"..

Old 09-10-2010, 12:07 PM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If all of you would ride more and ride like you stole it. You would wear out them tires before the shine was gone. I myself don't care if my tires are dull looking as long as they are full of air and in good shape.

Old 09-10-2010, 12:08 PM
toastman
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

i shined my tires when my bike was sitting in a show, but as far as regular detailing...just take a warm damp rag and rub them, the dirt will come up and your tires will be black.

Old 09-10-2010, 12:16 PM
RadarRider
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt990724
This makes more sense to me.. sorry, not trying to be dense..

If you are saying, that anything that weakens the sidewall, compromises the overall tire, I get that!.

I was responding to the posts of "armor-all on your sidewalls will make you slip"..
I was trying to make the point that tire shine weakens the sidewall of the tires. As far as the safety standpoint & loosing control, I did forget to mention he's using the tire foam. It's not so easy to get the foam on just the side wall. It will get on the tread itself.

Old 09-10-2010, 01:08 PM
Matt990724
Road Master
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by RadarRider
I was trying to make the point that tire shine weakens the sidewall of the tires. As far as the safety standpoint & loosing control, I did forget to mention he's using the tire foam. It's not so easy to get the foam on just the side wall. It will get on the tread itself.
I get it

sorry for bringing the thread down..

Old 09-10-2010, 01:46 PM
Grrrl
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RadarRider
Just came back from a friend's house who happened to be detailing his bike. Even though it's an '06 Shadow, it looks damn near lookin' like a Heritage Softail(minus the gigantic single pipe & the driveshaft), & he keeps is so clean, you could eat off it().

Anyway, I got there when he was just finishing the job & he pulled out a can of Meguiar's tire shine & started spraying the tires. I gave him a look like "what the hell!?". He says he does it all the time & asked me if I wanted to try some. I politely declined knowing this might not be such a good idea as he's the ONLY person I've seen use tire shine on motorcycle tires & I've also seen what the effects of long-term tire shine use does to car/truck tires.

Now this guy's ridden some of the baddest bobbers, chops, custom HDs, etc., before having to settle for the Honda after his 1st born son & the fact he's been trying to pay the bills with his wife out of work. He's been around bikes all his life & worked on & built some of the bikes he's owned. So I know he knows his stuff about bikes, but there's something about tire shine on bike wheels that doesn't sit right with me.

Is tire shine good for bike tires?
God forbid he does not corner and slip...yikes. Bad idea in my opinion.

Last edited by Grrrl; 09-10-2010 at 01:51 PM.
Old 09-10-2010, 01:53 PM
aries4155
Cruiser

To each his own but I've been using Armour All for years.
I have Never had any issues and the tires look so much better.
I just hit 60,000 miles on my '08 living in New England so I definitely ride.
It sucks when it rains because of the work involved to get her clean again but I couldn't not clean my bike.
Way too much invested plus why wouldn't you take pride in your ride.

Old 09-10-2010, 01:55 PM
shiftharder
Road Master

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
That is so not a good idea compounds in brake fluid and tire rubber don't play well together , won't happen over night but it will used regular start breaking down the sidewalls the rubber softens .
Back in the day all Brake Fluids Covers (for cars) were rubber - there are rubber seals in the calipers - BF will not harm rubber.

Old 09-10-2010, 02:10 PM
Kapture1
Advanced

Nothing on tires. I have seen many new sport bike owners shining up their bikes, put tire shine on the tires, and jump on them and go just to have the back tire slide out from under them on a turn. I also love it when they put armorall on the seat LOL.

Quick Reply: Tire Shine On HD Tires????