General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would you buy a 2006 Dyna?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2010, 12:43 AM
Kirk65
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Would you buy a 2006 Dyna?

Okay, This may be a no brainer, but I have an chance to buy a 2006 FXDL with extremely low miles in a custom color that I would love to have (Dragonfly Green / Vivid Black). Given the potential problems, (IPB work not done), nutural light, ignition. No warranty for the price of new FXDC.
I do not have the knowledge to work on bikes myself, so all work would have to be done from a dealer. I know I would gain the 96 over the 88 and get the 2 year warranty and a newer bike.
Do you think HD would still honor the work on their dime should problems arise?
I guess is a color option worth the pros of a newer bike. Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.

Old 09-10-2010, 04:18 AM
Late Bloomer
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same bike and loved it. IPB went out at 8k but my indy fixed it for about $250. Just sold mine for $9200. How much are you looking at? Used bike prices are are very depressed Thank goodness for the summer of recover!
If the price is right go for it just remember selling your bike will take time and you will probably not get what you think it is worth.
I am not at all sure that the limited edition paint jobs add much real value.

Old 09-10-2010, 06:10 AM
Krazy8s
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 108 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Kirk65
Okay, This may be a no brainer, but I have an chance to buy a 2006 FXDL with extremely low miles in a custom color that I would love to have (Dragonfly Green / Vivid Black). Given the potential problems, (IPB work not done), nutural light, ignition. No warranty for the price of new FXDC.
I do not have the knowledge to work on bikes myself, so all work would have to be done from a dealer. I know I would gain the 96 over the 88 and get the 2 year warranty and a newer bike.
Do you think HD would still honor the work on their dime should problems arise?
I guess is a color option worth the pros of a newer bike. Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.
Low miles, good condition, color you want.... deserves very serious consideration IMHO. As for the wrenching part, find a trustworthy Indie for any bigger jobs, the smaller stuff you can learn yourself with advice from the forum, your indie and the manual.

Old 09-10-2010, 08:10 AM
32vld
Road Master

No!

IPB. Then if I remember bad stators flying apart? Then wasn't this the year with excessive crankshaft run out?

Old 09-10-2010, 08:52 AM
Kirk65
Intermediate

Thanks for your replies. Asking price is 12,900. Bike has quick release back rest and windshield, stage 1 plus SE pipes. I actually forgot about the stators. I am going to call MOCO later to find out if anything would be covered.

Last edited by Kirk65; 09-10-2010 at 08:56 AM.
Old 09-10-2010, 09:31 AM
k&j eglide
Tourer

I wouldn't think that a 2006 Dyna is worth more than 9K. Add ons aren't worth much, if anything, at resale time. New bikes also have 6 speed trans. A friend of mine just bought a brand new 2009 Street Bob (new old stock) from a dealer, with 2 year warranty, for 11K. And as a final note, I would be real suprised to see H-D factory cover warranty issues on model that is actually 5 years old.

Old 09-10-2010, 09:32 AM
kamut
Tourer

Dude, I have the same mentality. Some great looking '06 dynas: dragonfly, the Evel Knievel paint job, they were still making the lowrider.

There has been some pretty detailed discussion on the Dyna forum, and I asked a similar question recently and got some pretty detailed answers from Dyna owners. Do a search and check it out. There are a lot of people on there dealing with the IPB issue. The stator is also an issue.

Some people say putting the superior Baker bearing in will reduce/eliminate the problem, but nobody seems to really know for sure. Harley does have some sort of policy where they'll pay for parts but not labor to fix this stuff (or vice versa). Harley says you need the dowelled cases to fix the IPB-iothers say the Baker will suffice.

For me, the price has to be right. Custom factory paint does have a pretty high value IMO. You gotta weigh that value vs. potential mechanical hassles.

I'm seeing similar bikes around my area, the Southwest, where they're asking $11,500 (dropping from higher prices 'cuz they're not selling). I think the price is a little high. I think you can use these issues as a negotiating point because an '06 is more than one model year "worse" than an '07. Plus the 88 v. 96 is another negotiating point. Anybody I deal with over this is gonna know that if I have to drop $1,000 that they avoided spending to remedy the problem, they're gonna need to drop their price by that amount.

Old 09-10-2010, 09:39 AM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,651 Likes on 2,536 Posts

I believe an '06 Dyna would have the 88CI motor with the 6 speed trans. $12,900 is WAY HIGH for that bike--at least around here. That is about a $9,000 bike. You can get a BRAND NEW Superglide Custom,IMHO a better looking bike, with 96" motor & FULL WARRANTY for that money.

Old 09-10-2010, 10:06 AM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,571 Likes on 2,889 Posts

Dont forget about the compensator spring cage bolts that back out and screw crap up but you can upgrade to the SE compensator.

Old 09-10-2010, 10:23 AM
wideglidebob
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

your best bet is look for a low mileage 05 my dealer here has three 09 on the floor (new) for 11900, and do yourself a favor and rethink the black and green, if they call that a custom color there nuts its butt ugly

Quick Reply: Would you buy a 2006 Dyna?