General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rebuilt Engine? A Good Thing?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 10:28 PM
kamut
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rebuilt Engine? A Good Thing?

I'm researching/shopping for a big twin. A lot of times on craigslist, you will see: "60,000 miles on the odometer, 5,000 miles on a new rebuilt engine". Actually, you're lucky if they disclose the odometer reading.

What exactly does a "rebuild" entail?

How compromised is one of these bikes/engines?

Should it lower the value of the bike?

My sense is you're dealing with something that has a bunch of miles on it. Non-rebuilt parts are probably wearing out even if the rebuild is complete. I'm sure it matters who did the rebuild.

I'm wondering what y'all think.

Old 09-09-2010, 10:42 PM
BCSG
Tourer
Received 37 Likes on 15 Posts

Depends... I had my motor upgraded with gear drive cams and full head work. New bearings,oil spring, pistons, push-rods, valves and guides etc. At 26000 Km/ 16155 Miles. If Buying a rebuild and you know the Indy or dealer that did it, and provided they have a good solid rep. I would have no problem buying a rebuild.

Last edited by BCSG; 09-10-2010 at 07:05 AM.
Old 09-09-2010, 11:09 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

There are so many used bikes out there you should be able to find a garage queen with low mileage. I would pay a bit more for a low mileage bike.

Old 09-10-2010, 06:32 AM
Fogoms
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First, what's a "new rebuilt" motor? It's either a crate motor (new) or a rebuilt motor. And a 5,000 miles it's not new anymore, is it?

What's a rebuild entail? Rebuilding is in the eye of the beholder. Without receipts for the work, you'll never know.

How compromised would the bike be? That depends. If the motor was rebuilt by a good shop and used by a sensible rider, it's not going to be compromised at all. As for the rest of the bike, who knows? I'd be careful...a big twin that needs a whole new motor at 60,000 miles was probably not well cared for or may not have been one of Harley's best off the assembly line. Not a good sign either way. And you're right about the non-rebuilt parts. There's a whole lot more to a bike than the motor that may need replaced at 60,000 miles.

Unless you can buy it for the amount of money you have in your wallet right now, I'd pass on it and look for a garage queen like KBFXDLI suggested.

Last edited by Fogoms; 09-10-2010 at 06:36 AM.
Old 09-10-2010, 07:05 AM
Jonesee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts

Everyone is giving you goood advice.

1) Unless it is a screaming great deal, I would look for 1 of the other 100,000+ bikes that are for sale with little or no mileage.

2) If you choose to go with a rebuilt, get the receipts. Without seeing those, assume it didn't happen. There is no way to know unless you tear it down.

3) The rebuild is only as good as the mechanic doing it. If you don't know the mechanic , or can't get a reference from a reliable source, I wouldn't trust his work and wouldn't buy the bike.

As I said before though, if it is a helluva deal and you are saving so much that you can pay for any problems it might be worth it.

If you aren't mechanically inclined, you can't save enough to make it worthwhile.

Last edited by Jonesee; 09-10-2010 at 07:11 AM.
Old 09-10-2010, 07:12 AM
prodrag1320
Banned
Received 622 Likes on 398 Posts

deffenatly find out who rebuilt it,we get "rebuilt" motors & trans`s in the shop to repair that look like they were done in a guys basement with 2 screwdivers and a hammer

Old 09-10-2010, 08:09 AM
handyhoward
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Two screwdrivers??? I knew I didn't have all the tools required...

Old 09-10-2010, 08:55 AM
jamesw
Road Warrior
Received 740 Likes on 276 Posts

This was one of the things I had to consider before I did the work on my own bike. There's no added value in building the motor, and it makes selling the bike a bit more difficult because of the reasons mentioned.

I know what I did, kept detailed records, etc., but I can't say I would blame a potential buyer for being leery of my skillset.

I did the work because it was what I wanted, and figure on keeping the bike for a long time.

If the deal seems good, have someone that knows what to look at go over the bike.

Old 09-10-2010, 08:56 AM
skootchnc
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 501 Likes on 259 Posts

+8 too little information....
WHY?? rebuild an engine with only 60K? What exactly does the seller mean by "rebuild"?
Who did the work? What , if any warranty is on the rebuild?

Heck... I'd rather buy a 60k bike, with just normal services.... at least then I'd have a pretty good idea, the bike had been ridden, AND taken care of.

Way too many garage queens in my local CL...and way too many well cared for ridden bikes..... unless it's a DEAL, thet you can't walk away from.... I'd say walk away

Old 09-10-2010, 09:45 AM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,986 Likes on 17,897 Posts

Originally Posted by prodrag1320
deffenatly find out who rebuilt it,we get "rebuilt" motors & trans`s in the shop to repair that look like they were done in a guys basement with 2 screwdivers and a hammer

I so heard that man , I do older bikes shovels mostly they end at my place after all the shops run them off . People can say what they want about shovels but they can take a god awful amount of abuse and still drag in on 2 wheels ( barely sometimes )

Last edited by TwiZted Biker; 09-10-2010 at 09:51 AM.

Quick Reply: Rebuilt Engine? A Good Thing?