General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are show polished aluminum wheels as shiney as chrome???

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2006 | 02:44 PM
mimo
Extreme HDF Member
Default RE: Are show polished aluminum wheels as shiney as chrome???

ORIGINAL: deadskull

why not go for the polished aluminum then scotchbrite finish....looks tons better than chrome, and is easier and more forgiving in real world driving. alll you need to keep it clean is some wd40 and a scotchbrite pad. flat is the way to go. chrome is out!

Blasfemia!!!

Old 09-10-2006 | 03:21 PM
John TN
Big Kahuna HDF Member

I guess it would depend on your budget, I would prefer chrome over polished aluminum for the care and look factor, as some have said it's a personal choice.

On taking care of polished aluminum, clear coated is easier but the clear coat sometimes gets a clouded look in spots if moisture gets under it and can flake off as well. The bare polished is suceptible to damage from products like Westley's Bleche-Wite tire cleaner and I learned that one the hard way, if you use something like that to clean the tires with polished bare don't spray it on the tires put it on something else and apply it or you'll be polishing again. Just my 2 cents.

Old 09-10-2006 | 03:50 PM
glebo
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Army

chrome is the way to go, as they say, chrome dont get ya home...but it sure will get ya laid!!!

Old 09-10-2006 | 04:16 PM
CraigC
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: BLONDIE

Craig:

What is the clearcoat and how long does it last?? Does the clearcoat make the aluminum shinier??

Thanks

It's typically a clear powdercoat. It's a smooth finish but subdues the polish somewhat. Looks cool but not like chrome. Like John said it's bad about getting moisture under it and then it really starts to look bad. If you were going to the expense of having it powdercoated, you'd be better off having it chromed.

He's dead right about the Bleche-White too. It works great for tires but will discolor bare aluminum fast.

Another option for polished aluminum would be something like Zoop's Seal. It's a polish/protectant kit that is supposed to last for two years.