General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who Rides In CT?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2012, 07:37 PM
YeOldeStonecat
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,678 Likes on 1,649 Posts

Originally Posted by Cometsoft
I like the area around Branford and the Thimble Islands. Haven't explored much further east. Where are you suggesting?

Am familiar with CT from Branford west to Greenwich. All the areas further inland through Greenwich, North Stamford, New Canaan and Westport have some nice features in the back country, but not on the water because of the traffic.
Coastal from Branford all the way east into RI...either Route 1....or side roads closer to the shore when Route 1 goes inland a bit. Once into Rhode Island..Route 1a to Newport. (I just did that last Saturday). I am in Waterford CT.

Also as someone mentioned earlier...along Route 9 ...which goes north along the west bank of the CT River. And 156..and 82, which are on the east side of the CT River. From New Haven towards New York..you've seen the more packed areas. Starts breaking up east of New Haven.

All areas of CT have great riding.....I do tend to prefer east of the CT River (I prefer very rural/farm areas, rolling hills, forests, open coastal/beaches) Heck, tons of great areas all through New England. By basic point, it is untrue that coastal CT sucks.

Old 06-02-2012, 07:40 PM
YeOldeStonecat
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by roadhog96
Another nice ride is Devil's Hopyard; http://www.ct.gov/dep/cwp/view.asp?a=2716&q=325188
Now I haven't been out there lately but I heard there was a fire out around Devil's Hopyard last year I believe so the place might not look so nice right now.
It's still gorgeous.....that's about 20 minutes north of me...great ride on that last road leading to it..it's like a little mini version of some Vermont or New Hampshire mountain road..the pine trees, the smells, .....great ride. And of course Daves Place on Rt 85 for some hot dogs. My office is on Rt 85 another 10 minutes south.

Old 06-02-2012, 07:42 PM
YeOldeStonecat
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by TheBlackPharoah
My crew rides in CT. Unfortunately, I won't be walking for a few months due to a texter. Titanium alloy hardware is keeping my leg and ankle together. I should be up and running on a new bike before the end of summer.

Lots of sweet rides in CT and surrounding states. Ride safe.
I haven't been on these forums in a few months neighbor.....very sorry to hear of your misfortune....glad to see you're able to type about it.

Old 06-02-2012, 08:23 PM
HammerheadC4
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I live 6 miles from the Vanilla bean, been there twice in 25 years. Always see alot of bikes there when the weather is nice.

I ride 244 to 169 to 14a then 49... or 244 to 169 to 14 to 203 then 6 to 198...these are 50 to 75 miles loops for me.

Once a year I head west on 190 to 20 then rt 8 to the green mountains, and once a year I head up to the Kanc....these are about a 500 mile day trip.

Been getting spoiled the last few years running down to TN, NC, VA and W VA.

Old 06-02-2012, 08:52 PM
Cometsoft
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat
Coastal from Branford all the way east into RI...either Route 1....or side roads closer to the shore when Route 1 goes inland a bit. Once into Rhode Island..Route 1a to Newport. (I just did that last Saturday). I am in Waterford CT.

Also as someone mentioned earlier...along Route 9 ...which goes north along the west bank of the CT River. And 156..and 82, which are on the east side of the CT River. From New Haven towards New York..you've seen the more packed areas. Starts breaking up east of New Haven.

All areas of CT have great riding.....I do tend to prefer east of the CT River (I prefer very rural/farm areas, rolling hills, forests, open coastal/beaches) Heck, tons of great areas all through New England. By basic point, it is untrue that coastal CT sucks.
Thanks for the routes. Hopefully I'll be able to check out some of those roads this summer.

Old 06-02-2012, 09:17 PM
nick@nite
Road Warrior
Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by RadarRider
Thanks, bro! I appreciate your support. You ever go to the Vanilla Bean in Pomfret? I could swear I've seen your bike before. I'll definitely hit you up! Thanks again.
No problem make sure hit me up, if it ever stops raining..lol

Old 06-03-2012, 08:44 AM
YeOldeStonecat
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Cometsoft
Thanks for the routes. Hopefully I'll be able to check out some of those roads this summer.
What are of NY you in? I bought my bike from a guy in White Plains a couple of years ago.

I've been mid and up state NY often....I love the drive north on the NY Expressway.....Taconic State Park area, up north to Ontario. A few months ago I had to go to Garrison NY (across the river from West Point)....wow what a gorgeous area, tight packed hills, narrow winding hillside roads.

If you head up Rt 9 up the CT River valley....look around exit 11 or so (I think)...find some roads heading west towards Durham. Some nice farm country in that area....won't be much out of your range.

Old 06-03-2012, 08:48 AM
Moe55
Supporter
Received 62 Likes on 47 Posts

Devil's Hopyard is still in fine shape. Have been through there a couple times this year. You can get any where in CT with out going on 95 or 91 where the congestion is. It just takes you a little longer like that matters! Every section of CT has great roads you just have to explore them. Mad Maps has a CT & RI map that has routes drawn out with attractions listed in each area.

Old 06-05-2012, 12:53 PM
RadarRider
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nick@nite
No problem make sure hit me up, if it ever stops raining..lol

I will, bro. As far as the rain, I hear you there. Seems like there's never an end in sight.

Old 06-10-2012, 07:14 AM
LarryLives
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Check out areas up near Mass.
Granby, Hartland, Barkhamsted, etc...
nice, twisty, up and down mountain areas....