General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who Rides In CT?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 10:38 PM
wideglidebob
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

so they have a helmet law so you won`t ride in a state with a helmet, you nuts not to ride without , and as far as out of state plates thats what people are saying about you when you ride out of your boring state

Old 09-18-2010, 01:36 PM
RadarRider
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wideglidebob
so they have a helmet law so you won`t ride in a state with a helmet, you nuts not to ride without , and as far as out of state plates thats what people are saying about you when you ride out of your boring state
I asked about where the good places are to ride in CT, not to be critiqued about my riding habits. Either give me some good info or screw. Don't be a dick.

Old 09-18-2010, 01:50 PM
mikedero
Cruiser

I was just up in Litchfield, Goshen it is a great area to ride. Ton of bikes seen today. You would love it up here. Kent is rated number 1 in New england for fall colors

Old 09-18-2010, 05:20 PM
JekyllnHyde
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 250 Likes on 146 Posts

I agree with the some of the other posters. NW CT has some great rodes to ride. I grew up in CT and was up there riding just last month.

Old 05-17-2012, 01:45 PM
Raven10
Intermediate

Anyone know of good riding spots in southern ct? Those spots look amazing but its a bit of a ride for when I just want to do a "quick" loop

Old 05-17-2012, 08:00 PM
nferr
Road Master
Received 220 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Just-a-Guy
Carry a helmet, because you may find yourself over in NY. The last ride I took before coming back home last week was up to Sharon, CT, then over into NY, down 343. The ride leaving Sharon on 343 is gorgeous, just beautiful country down to Amenia. Then 343, 22 and 44, and the various connecting roads, really just incredible. If you take 22 down to Wingdale, you can see the old Harlem Valley Psychiatric Hospital, closed for nearly 2 decades and overgrown with vines and so forth. Over 80 buildings, it was one of the largest insane asylums around. Many horrible things happened there. It's an eerie place. Worth seeing.
The barbecue place almost across the street from the hospital grounds is great too. If you just try to stay in CT, you're going to get bored pretty quickly. Just carry a helmet and throw it on if you cross the state line. Great riding in the Berkshires and Dutchess County. Pretty stupid IMO to stay landlocked in CT. because of a helmet. Almost every time we ride up in NW CT, we end up riding in NY or Mass. too.

Old 05-20-2012, 12:11 AM
Fishrrman
Road Warrior
Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

"Pretty stupid IMO to stay landlocked in CT. because of a helmet. Almost every time we ride up in NW CT, we end up riding in NY or Mass. too."

Wise words.

I live in northern Fairfield county, and as far as I'm concerned, the best roads in Connecticut are the ones that take you OUT of CT and into New York state, where the good riding is.

Northern Dutchess county is fine, Columbia county has to be one of the most beautiful areas in the Northeastern states. Cross the Hudson and go further west, into Orange county, Ulster county, Delaware county, etc. The further one goes into NY, the nicer it gets! Rt. 97 along the shores of the Delaware river is a ride to remember.

One area of CT to definitely avoid (of course avoid I-95 and the Connecticut coast) is the "central spine" on either side of I-91. The closer you get towards the "center of the spine", the worse the congestion.

Western Massachusetts is good as well, the pokey speed limits notwithstanding.

Old 05-31-2012, 12:55 PM
RadarRider
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Fishrrman
"Pretty stupid IMO to stay landlocked in CT. because of a helmet. Almost every time we ride up in NW CT, we end up riding in NY or Mass. too."

Wise words.

I live in northern Fairfield county, and as far as I'm concerned, the best roads in Connecticut are the ones that take you OUT of CT and into New York state, where the good riding is.

Northern Dutchess county is fine, Columbia county has to be one of the most beautiful areas in the Northeastern states. Cross the Hudson and go further west, into Orange county, Ulster county, Delaware county, etc. The further one goes into NY, the nicer it gets! Rt. 97 along the shores of the Delaware river is a ride to remember.

One area of CT to definitely avoid (of course avoid I-95 and the Connecticut coast) is the "central spine" on either side of I-91. The closer you get towards the "center of the spine", the worse the congestion.

Western Massachusetts is good as well, the pokey speed limits notwithstanding.
Before you go using words like "stupid", take into cosideration the real reason we don't wear helmets. My wife was in a car accident about 15 years ago & had her head split wide open as a result. She can no longer wear hats, headbands, do rags, or helmets for long periods of time without her brain swelling & being overcome by disorienting headaches & also having to be immediately rushed to a hospital. In turn, I don't wear a helmet either. If she goes down & ends up dying, I couldn't live without her.

I absolutely love when people just want to put in their .02 & use insults as an answer not even applied to the question being asked. Just makes these people look "stupid". I don't get to travel too far on the motorcycle due to my wife's condition. For this, the only places we can ride when we're together is RI & CT because the fact they don't require us to wear helmets. I do appreciate the advice on upstate NY, but unfortuneately, I can't touch NY or even MA for that matter unless my wife's not present which is almost never.

She's going to continue to ride until the day she dies, & in the meantime, it means not wearing a helmet, Stupid.

Old 05-31-2012, 08:27 PM
nick@nite
Road Warrior
Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by RadarRider
Before you go using words like "stupid", take into cosideration the real reason we don't wear helmets. My wife was in a car accident about 15 years ago & had her head split wide open as a result. She can no longer wear hats, headbands, do rags, or helmets for long periods of time without her brain swelling & being overcome by disorienting headaches & also having to be immediately rushed to a hospital. In turn, I don't wear a helmet either. If she goes down & ends up dying, I couldn't live without her.

I absolutely love when people just want to put in their .02 & use insults as an answer not even applied to the question being asked. Just makes these people look "stupid". I don't get to travel too far on the motorcycle due to my wife's condition. For this, the only places we can ride when we're together is RI & CT because the fact they don't require us to wear helmets. I do appreciate the advice on upstate NY, but unfortuneately, I can't touch NY or even MA for that matter unless my wife's not present which is almost never.

She's going to continue to ride until the day she dies, & in the meantime, it means not wearing a helmet, Stupid.
Yes sir bro helmet police always gotta throw in there freakn opinion, let those who ride decide... I love riding in CT but like you never really rode in western part of CT. Message me sometime I'm not far from you will go for a ride ...

Old 05-31-2012, 11:27 PM
Fishrrman
Road Warrior
Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by RadarRider
Before you go using words like "stupid", take into cosideration the real reason we don't wear helmets.
Um, I didn't write that.

It was a quote somebody else wrote.

I put it in quotation marks, and replied underneath about the quality of the riding in both NY and Western Mass.

Quick Reply: Who Rides In CT?