General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who Rides In CT?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 11:29 AM
Just-a-Guy
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Carry a helmet, because you may find yourself over in NY. The last ride I took before coming back home last week was up to Sharon, CT, then over into NY, down 343. The ride leaving Sharon on 343 is gorgeous, just beautiful country down to Amenia. Then 343, 22 and 44, and the various connecting roads, really just incredible. If you take 22 down to Wingdale, you can see the old Harlem Valley Psychiatric Hospital, closed for nearly 2 decades and overgrown with vines and so forth. Over 80 buildings, it was one of the largest insane asylums around. Many horrible things happened there. It's an eerie place. Worth seeing.

Old 09-09-2010, 11:45 AM
RadarRider
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rivercityslim
I live in the NW corner of CT, and agree whole-heartedly. I've ridden all of the routes that have been mentioned many times. I don't care about the helmet issue; I frequently ride into NY and MA as there are some real nice roads just over the line in both states.

What part of RI are you coming from? Either 6 or 44 heading West from RI are nice rides themselves. Both will take you into the Hartford area, which is not a fun place to ride, but once you are beyond Hartford on 44 (or coming out of Farmington on 4 as waramaug suggested) you have a lot of choices as to where to go.

Personally, I stay the hell off of 95 in CT unless it's absolutely necessary, even in a car. If you are coming from, say, the Westerly area you might have to be on 95 for a short time to get to Route 9, but you could also take Route 2 all the way from Pawcatuck to Hartford, and then head West from there.
I'm coming from Smithfield, RI & 44's my front door. I'll take 44 to 116 to the Danielson tpke, shoot across 6 & hit 101. It is nice riding in these areas, but is the norm for me. I try to stay off 95 myself as much as I can. Unfortunately, my job(truck driver) doesn't allow me sometimes to stay away from it & I'm glad that your routes don't take me down there, especially around the Groton area(that bridge that overlooks Electric Boat is a real crap area for traffic!). Thanks for your advice!
Originally Posted by Just-a-Guy
Carry a helmet, because you may find yourself over in NY. The last ride I took before coming back home last week was up to Sharon, CT, then over into NY, down 343. The ride leaving Sharon on 343 is gorgeous, just beautiful country down to Amenia. Then 343, 22 and 44, and the various connecting roads, really just incredible. If you take 22 down to Wingdale, you can see the old Harlem Valley Psychiatric Hospital, closed for nearly 2 decades and overgrown with vines and so forth. Over 80 buildings, it was one of the largest insane asylums around. Many horrible things happened there. It's an eerie place. Worth seeing.
Thanks again for the tips! As much as it may be eerie, I'd actually like to check out that Harlem Valley Psychiatric Hospital!

Old 09-09-2010, 12:04 PM
rcaddell
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If you come to this area, a nice ride is out to the Bennett School for Girls in Milbrook, NY. REALLY cool old abandoned building

Old 09-09-2010, 12:06 PM
rivercityslim
Road Master
Received 46 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Just-a-Guy
If you take 22 down to Wingdale, you can see the old Harlem Valley Psychiatric Hospital, closed for nearly 2 decades and overgrown with vines and so forth.
Been by that many times; never really knew for sure what it was. 22 North out of Amenia is a spectacular ride, especially the stretch from Millerton to Hillsdale. If I can remember, when I get home I might post some pics I have of this area.

Old 09-09-2010, 12:15 PM
booger 18
Cruiser

I live in Saunderstwn,RI and my wife is from the Killingly, CT area.The summer traffic is Terrible. I live right off Boston Neck road that goes to Narragansett beach. The ride usually takes 5 mins. But thanks to the " Migration" of people its 30 min easy. I take my wife all through Eastern CT. back roads are incredible. Always find that little harley freindly dinner or bar for a quicke.....we still ride to pt. judith to get the chowda and claim cakes but i like eastern ct better.

Old 09-09-2010, 02:06 PM
fourhour
Tourer

I second the eastern Connecticut rides. I live in Worcester and can remove my helmet in 20 minutes, either in CT or RI, ride for hours and then head home.

Try the area around Stafford if you haven't yet.

Old 09-10-2010, 06:21 AM
rivercityslim
Road Master
Received 46 Likes on 22 Posts

Here's a couple of pix taken this past Spring in NW CT and Hudson Valley NY. This one is along Rte. 44 in North Canaan CT:

Along Rte.22, Copake NY:

At the entrance to the Taconic Parkway, looking down Route 23:

Along Route 44, Amenia NY:

Old 09-10-2010, 07:16 AM
RadarRider
Cruiser

Those pictures are absolutely incredible! I have to get my *** down there & ride. I showed my wife the pics & she's rearin' to go too. BTW, you've got a great lookin' Ultra Classic. That's one of the best looking UCs I've seen in a while!

Old 09-17-2010, 07:56 PM
dcola623
Intermediate

I like riding in the litchfield area (Goshen, Burlington, Harwington). Not a lot of lights and the roads are nice.

Old 09-17-2010, 09:09 PM
Jags93
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Western CT is awesome, I think you could pick up rt 9 from 95, take that to the Wilbur Cross into the Merritt then you can head up 8 or keep going till you get to 7. It will take a while to get up to the good part but the NW corner is awesome. I like to swing around to the Taconic to come back down. Nobody rides it. Everyone is on 87. You own the road.

Quick Reply: Who Rides In CT?