Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WARNING, Bad Cabin in Bryson City. (Sorry kinda long)

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 08:50 PM
Snarly
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TXCOMMISH
"Bear Foot Hide-Away"Cabin with Panoramic Mountain View Bryson City, North Carolina Vacation Rental by Owner Listing 187584
Get away from it all in this secluded cabin on 6 acres of unspoiled wooded mountains with breathtaking views of the Great Smoky Mountain . The 2,300-foot elevation makes you feel like you’re on top of the world!
Access: one lane gravel road with two (2) sharp uphill curves and gradual incline towards the top of the mountain. Then drive onto a cement paved drive. Cement all the rest of the way up to the cabin . Paved drive way- no 4 wheel drive needed. (cut some)

Again, WARNING, WARNING, WARNING, do not rent the Bear Foot Hide-Away Cabin in Bryson City on VRBO. You’ll be sorry you did.
With all due respect, I think I'd have crawled on my hands and knees
to get to that place. Makes me wonder how all the rest got there.

Old 09-08-2010, 08:59 PM
dope_man_21
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

At least you finally got your money back. I think I know the place you are talking about, I rented a cabin up their a few years back (the name of the place excapes me) but the gravel drive way almost straight up was a challange for my Jeep, I spun just about the whole way up, no way I would of even attempted it on a bike (dirt or street) or pulling a trailer.

Old 09-08-2010, 09:01 PM
TXCOMMISH
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by OregonFXSTC
I don't see your review warning others who might be doing the same as you?
You might want to add one.
http://www.vrbo.com/187584#comments
Wife is working on it right now.

Originally Posted by Notgrownup
We only rent from carolina mountain vacation... all the cottage have a motorcycle logo for the ones that are bike friendly. Beautiful cottages we rented this spring, even had a garage for the bikes...
Found that site AFTER we had all the trouble.

Originally Posted by Snarly
With all due respect, I think I'd have crawled on my hands and knees
to get to that place. Makes me wonder how all the rest got there.
No argument about how beautiful the cabin was. You just had to strap your bike to a mountain goat to get up there.

To the "Mountain Boys" among us, I admit I'm a "flatlander," but, this road was beyond steep, poorly engineered and very poorly maintained. A half-track pulling a trailer would have had a hard time going up this one.

Also, a lot of my "warning" has to do with the crappy attitude and actions of the owner.

Old 09-11-2010, 05:36 AM
moondog99
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I completely understand your problem. I own a cabin in the Gatlinburg area and some of the cabins up here are not motorcycle friendly. My advice in the future would be to get the actual address of the cabin then use google maps and google earth to see the roads and the topography of the roads to the cabin. Plus most cabins have horrible parking for motorcycles so ask for pictures of the parking area at the cabin to insure the parking is large enough as well as level enough for your needs. Glad to see you finally got your money back but it is appauling it took that long. Hope this does not keep you from returning back to this area because it does have some of the best rides in the country.

Old 09-11-2010, 02:33 PM
wideglidebob
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

well at least you got your money but again i wonder how did they trailor all that stuff up there to build

Old 09-11-2010, 03:25 PM
GrimmRider
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Either way, thanks for the warning.

Old 09-11-2010, 05:21 PM
fbulldog
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The owner should be upfront about the road not being motorcycle friendly. Being able to pull a motorcycle & trailer up the road, like he says, does no good when you want to be able to drive up and down the road on the bike.

Old 09-11-2010, 05:48 PM
jeff.georgalas
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When we went to Sturgis this year our cabin in Keystone was a real pain for us as well. The price was right (which should have tipped me off), but it was TINY, and it would have been impossible for all five us to stay there (as they advertised). The roads were very unmotorcycle friendly just as the OP stated, sharp turns on gravel with sharp inclines as well. I was lucky and didn't drop my bike at all, but saw at least six or seven others that did. It was my wife and I, one friend, and my parents. My Dad was so pissed off when he saw the size of the place that they went into town and rented another hotel foom to the tune of 1,200 bucks for the week. This could have easily ruined the trip.

P.S. Glad you finally got your money back.

Old 09-11-2010, 06:03 PM
babalu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i guess they build folks different in tennessee, you got your money back and that was really cool of the guy even with the hassle. in NY the guy would've told you to go pound sand. you never would've seen a dime back.

Old 09-11-2010, 06:25 PM
MCHOGG
Road Captain
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

Most areas around Gatlinburg are over developed, at lot have bad roads or roads have not been maintained. The cabins are beautiful and a good experience if you get honest people that will truthfully answer your questions.
You are lucky to get your money back some of the reviews are questionable.

Quick Reply: WARNING, Bad Cabin in Bryson City. (Sorry kinda long)