General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

might as well just hang it up

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 11:08 AM
mark10
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

i did feel better eventually and rode home without a problem - of course that was on rodes and not gravel. i take that back - there was a problem. took the road going north out of rock in the cave state park which turned into gravel and then rutted gravel. weill i was having trouble turning around. when i finally did, there were my two buds, one laying on the ground sleeping and the other leaning back on his backrest sleeping. cracked me up.

the funny thing is that i use to have (back in the day) a 750 honda (big bike back then) with bags and a windjammer and i use to take that trailin on dirt trails.

amazing what 35 years will do

Old 09-08-2010, 11:11 AM
backnasaddle
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't feel bad. There isn't a one of us that likes a big road bike on gravel. Hell, I just dumped the dresser two weeks ago trying to back up in a gravel lot at a concert we went to; and I'm not a rookie. Just keep the skills sharp and keep ridin'.

Old 09-08-2010, 11:32 AM
RoadKing_Bob
Tourer
Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts
Default You're not alone

This last Sunday my wife and I we riding down a paved road which abruptedly turned into a gravel road, Wally Road for those that know the Mohican area, well as usual I'm looking around at the scenic view and heard the noise change of my wifes bike tires hitting the gravel so
I had a split second of a warning, my wife seemed to handle the gravel better than I did, I swear I almost started wobbling at first (lost a few heart beats and almost sh*t my pants) but straightened out. My friend do not feel bad because when it comes to gravel most riders have an inner fear of going down.

Old 09-08-2010, 12:25 PM
shiftharder
Road Master

Why not just trade it for a Dyna or Sporster - you get to keep riding and easy to control even on gravel roads.

Old 09-08-2010, 12:26 PM
will227457
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

you go tthe wrong bike for that kind of riding....

Old 09-08-2010, 12:38 PM
hommes
Road Captain

Originally Posted by NoBoldRider
I don't even like dirt or gravel parking lots. I just don't do gravel roads, and I've been riding for 45 years, so don't feel bad. If I want to do dirt again, I'll get the right bike. I give you credit for even trying a gravel road.
Yeah, I live in the high desert of CA and gravel is everywhere...especially on corners it seems. Lots of gravel roads here and I do not ever go on them. Harleys with their smooth tires are an accident waiting to happen.

Old 09-08-2010, 12:39 PM
scoteh
Club Member
Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

Riding on gravel is one thing, but having to go up a steep incline, need to stop, and then turn is quite another. That would give the heebie-jeebies to almost anyone on a big bike. Things went bad, it could have been much worse, and you came out of the ordeal bruised, battered, but OK. So, in the end, life is good. Dang gravel roads!

Old 09-08-2010, 12:39 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by shiftharder
Why not just trade it for a Dyna or Sporster - you get to keep riding and easy to control even on gravel roads.
WHAT? No way....my front tire hits gravel and it gets so squirrelly that it is major pucker time. I stay away from gravel roads as much as possible. But what really gives me nightmares is those metal drawbridge road grates when it is raining.

Old 09-08-2010, 12:41 PM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That's one of the main reason I never ride dirt or gravel roads. If I ride up onto a gravel road unexpectedly, I turn around and find another way.

Old 09-08-2010, 12:44 PM
Steve On 3
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts

It's happened to those of us who are vertically challenged. Just chalk it up to a learning experience and avoid those situations. The Ultra is such a great bike doing what it was designed to do....touring on paved roads. Don't give up on it. the ego will heal and no harm done.

Quick Reply: might as well just hang it up