Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windshield washing and bike cleaning?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2006, 06:07 PM
Biggol
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Windshield washing and bike cleaning?

Just wanted to run this by the pros before I run out and clean my bike thoroughly for the first time..

Don't have a leaf blower or bike dryer yet, so I plan on detailing the majority of the bike with Pledge Multi-surface as it says it can be used on metals, painted surfaces and Chrome!
That way I don't have to dry it.

I have a light grade steel wool for the rims, brake parts etc that need a few rust spots buffed off, and was going to wash the windshield and lights with good old dish soap and water. Hand drying of course.

I managed to do about 30 miles of riding in light rain and fresh, slippery roads. It needs to be pampered now.

These things sound good for in-a-pinch cleaning?

Old 09-09-2006, 08:05 PM
SHEP
Tourer
Default RE: Windshield washing and bike cleaning?

Don't use dish soap, it will remove the wax.
Here's how I wash my bike. I use regular car wash liquid, the cheap stuff. I hose the entire bike down, avoiding the air cleaner and coil. I then wash the bike with the car wash liquid using a wash mit or rag and a spoked wheel brush. The wheel brush gets in all the hard to reach places. I do one side, rinse it and then do the other side. I then dry the bike with an old towel.
Start the bike, run it around the block and I'm done. The whole process takes less than 30 minutes.
I will occationally use "Mother's" liquid car wax with cleaner on the entire bike(except seat).

Old 09-09-2006, 08:10 PM
Biggol
Road Warrior

Sounds good Shep. I just ended up using water on the windshield. Everything else got the pledge. Looks pretty decent. Uncovered a lot of places where there are little rust spots I'll have to buff out later. The joy of buying a used bike =)

I need to get a spoke brush. The tee shirt and finger buffing didn't do the wonders I hoped it would. I'll learn.
Thanks!

Old 09-09-2006, 08:20 PM
surv1
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Something important on the windshields....never use Windex, or those types of cleaners on bike windshields, they will remove the protective glaze. Always use a clean SOFT cotton rag, and wipe the windshild either up-and-down only or side-to-side only, never in a circle. Cleaning the windshild in a circluar motion will cut swirls into the windshild which will cause optical problems...especially riding into the sun. The best way to clean a windshild...especially one with bugs, is to soak a soft rag with HOT water, and lay it over the windshild for a few minutes. This will lift the bugs and stuck-on stuff right off, and you can dry and/or polish with a soft dry rag... Following these steps will let your windshield last a LOT longer.

Old 09-09-2006, 08:29 PM
Greybeardrider
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: surv1

Something important on the windshields....never use Windex, or those types of cleaners on bike windshields, they will remove the protective glaze. Always use a clean SOFT cotton rag, and wipe the windshild either up-and-down only or side-to-side only, never in a circle. Cleaning the windshild in a circluar motion will cut swirls into the windshild which will cause optical problems...especially riding into the sun. The best way to clean a windshild...especially one with bugs, is to soak a soft rag with HOT water, and lay it over the windshild for a few minutes. This will lift the bugs and stuck-on stuff right off, and you can dry and/or polish with a soft dry rag... Following these steps will let your windshield last a LOT longer.
[sm=exactly.gif] This is the only way I clean my windshield. No soap needed. Works on the toughest bug juice. Works everytime!
Get one of those blowers, it'll save time and gets water out of places you didn't know you had.

Old 09-09-2006, 09:39 PM
JB
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: Biggol

I have a light grade steel wool

No the first thing you need to do is jump in youre car with the steel wool and drive far far away from youre bike . Do not use this stuff on youre bike. If you have some chrome with some rust on it get some good chrome polish. Steel wool can scratch's.

Old 09-09-2006, 09:50 PM
SeaHag
Road Master

ORIGINAL: JB

ORIGINAL: Biggol

I have a light grade steel wool

No the first thing you need to do is jump in youre car with the steel wool and drive far far away from youre bike . Do not use this stuff on youre bike. If you have some chrome with some rust on it get some good chrome polish. Steel wool can scratch's.
I've used the super fine 000 grade steel wool on my exhaust to get off baked on bug guts...Never left a scratch. I was warned to stay away from all other grades of steel wool however; maybe you're just not using the right stuff.

Biggol - You're on the right track using the pledge. I had read that tip for five years before I thought to try it. I've used Wizards mist and shine, Meguiars spray detailer, the BOMB spray cleaner, and a couple other spray products....NONE OF THEM WORKED AS GOOD OR ANY BETTER THAN THE PLEDGE....BUT THEY SURE COST A LOT MORE! As a matter of fact, nothing I have used works better at removing water spots as the lemon pledge polish. My bike is ridden to work any time I can make it there dry. What happens while I'm at work, my bike will survive; but I've been plagued by water spots for years. Anything short of a full on clean and wax didn't remove the small mineral spots...just minimized their appearance. Pledge COMPLETELY removes those water spots.

Glad to have finally seen the light...more money now for gas and motels.

Old 09-09-2006, 10:24 PM
cutacroshorty
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One trick I learned a long time ago is to wet the bike real good and run the water over it 2 or 3 times to rinse off as much dirt and dust as possible before applying any kind of cloth, sponge or what ever you use.

Personally I use one of those lambs wool gloves.

Old 09-09-2006, 10:26 PM
vegashd
Banned

ORIGINAL: SHEP

Don't use dish soap, it will remove the wax.
Here's how I wash my bike. I use regular car wash liquid, the cheap stuff. I hose the entire bike down, avoiding the air cleaner and coil. I then wash the bike with the car wash liquid using a wash mit or rag and a spoked wheel brush. The wheel brush gets in all the hard to reach places. I do one side, rinse it and then do the other side. I then dry the bike with an old towel.
Start the bike, run it around the block and I'm done. The whole process takes less than 30 minutes.
I will occationally use "Mother's" liquid car wax with cleaner on the entire bike(except seat).

SHEP,

your not the SHEP that knows Nikki Lynn is it?

Old 09-10-2006, 12:41 AM
IRready
Road Master

I use pledge on the windsheild. Works great. It has a lifting motion for lifting dust. I have used it for years with zero issues. As far as the bike is concerned, I use water. NO soap. I can promise you if your paint is decent, you can't tell the difference. It is as clean with good water as it is with soap. All soap does is work the wax and finish off.

Quick Reply: Windshield washing and bike cleaning?