General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windshield washing and bike cleaning?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2007, 12:46 AM
questor
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Windshield washing and bike cleaning?

ORIGINAL: SHEP

Nope, I don't think so. I am originally from western PA but have lived in Mobile AL for the last 30+ years.
Slickville?

Old 05-18-2007, 02:09 AM
Katie
Elite HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You guys ever use those Magic Erasers? I find they work really well.....don't seem to scratch anything, either.

Old 05-18-2007, 03:48 AM
wlbowers
Stellar HDF Member

Received 101 Likes on 44 Posts

ORIGINAL: Hiram

I think I may have found a time saver. I have found that a micro fiber wiper works great to clean most surfaces on the bike, but it can be a pain. The micro fibre and plain water removes most everything and leaves a virtually spot free surface, no drying needed. One of my vendors at work is going to send me a couple micro fibre gloves to try. No more tail of the rag dripping or dragging on an already done part, I hope. I'll let you all know how it works.

I have a several pair of those cheap brown cotton gloves. Just spray the Pig Spit, s100, or what ever in the palm and fingers and have at it. Right to put it on and left to rub it in.

Old 05-18-2007, 12:53 PM
Oilcan
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Lots of good suggestions here so far. I've been very happy for years with the products from "Cycle Care Formulas" http://www.cyclecare.com. They specialize in products to clean and maintain bikes. Not the least expensive out there but darn fine products. As for cleaning a windshield, water is the best thing, period, in my opinion. If it's particularly dirty, I'll wet a towel and let it lay on the shield for a while and then the bugs and such wipe off fairly easy. There's a good article at http://www.tulsaenterprises.com/hints.htmlon cleaning and maintaining your windshield that may also help. The article is by a guy who makes his living selling aftermarket windshields and he knows his stuff.

Old 05-18-2007, 01:47 PM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: venture33

S100 cleaner on wheels and engine.
Mr Clean washer.
15 min and done.
LOL. Do it yourself coin operated car wash. 3 min and done

Old 05-18-2007, 07:37 PM
steveh326
Road Warrior
Received 143 Likes on 61 Posts

just put the hose to it and wash it fer crissakes. it's a motorcycle not the hope diamond dry it afterwards with a towel/shammie/whatever. I can't for the life of me understand people who are afraid toWASH their bikes.

ORIGINAL: Biggol

Just wanted to run this by the pros before I run out and clean my bike thoroughly for the first time..

Don't have a leaf blower or bike dryer yet, so I plan on detailing the majority of the bike with Pledge Multi-surface as it says it can be used on metals, painted surfaces and Chrome!
That way I don't have to dry it.

I have a light grade steel wool for the rims, brake parts etc that need a few rust spots buffed off, and was going to wash the windshield and lights with good old dish soap and water. Hand drying of course.

I managed to do about 30 miles of riding in light rain and fresh, slippery roads. It needs to be pampered now.

These things sound good for in-a-pinch cleaning?

Old 05-19-2007, 09:29 AM
Biggol
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thread was ressurected like Lazerus! You had me do a double take. I knew I hadn't started a thread in general for a while. Thought someone haxed my account.. hehe

The Novus he mentions above has the best reputation for what you're describing. Although there are some folks above who swear Lemon Pledge is the answer to everything

Good luck!