General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windshield washing and bike cleaning?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2006, 02:05 PM
venture33
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Windshield washing and bike cleaning?

S100 cleaner on wheels and engine.
Mr Clean washer.
15 min and done.

Old 09-10-2006, 06:38 PM
BLONDIE
Intermediate

Hey IR or any pledge users!

I'm a fairly new rider. I tried the pledge on the bike-paint- but on the windshield???? Won't it leave oils on the windshield and cloud?? What happens when it rains??

Thanks for the info,

Ride Safe

Old 09-10-2006, 06:47 PM
IRready
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have NEVER used it on the paint.... Don't think I would either. On the windshield, I have used it for years. It has compounds that "lift" dirt and dust, which eliminates any scratching. I have used for years with no issues at all. It leaves no residue and has never been affected in the rain. Try it, you'll like it. Endust also works, but I have always used pledge. I was shown this by a old HD rider, he swore by it. Never scratched my shield yet!

Old 09-10-2006, 06:50 PM
Biggol
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: SeaHag

ORIGINAL: JB

ORIGINAL: Biggol

I have a light grade steel wool

No the first thing you need to do is jump in youre car with the steel wool and drive far far away from youre bike . Do not use this stuff on youre bike. If you have some chrome with some rust on it get some good chrome polish. Steel wool can scratch's.
I've used the super fine 000 grade steel wool on my exhaust to get off baked on bug guts...Never left a scratch. I was warned to stay away from all other grades of steel wool however; maybe you're just not using the right stuff.

Biggol - You're on the right track using the pledge. I had read that tip for five years before I thought to try it. I've used Wizards mist and shine, Meguiars spray detailer, the BOMB spray cleaner, and a couple other spray products....NONE OF THEM WORKED AS GOOD OR ANY BETTER THAN THE PLEDGE....BUT THEY SURE COST A LOT MORE! As a matter of fact, nothing I have used works better at removing water spots as the lemon pledge polish. My bike is ridden to work any time I can make it there dry. What happens while I'm at work, my bike will survive; but I've been plagued by water spots for years. Anything short of a full on clean and wax didn't remove the small mineral spots...just minimized their appearance. Pledge COMPLETELY removes those water spots.

Glad to have finally seen the light...more money now for gas and motels.
Actually the steel wool was for buffing out rust spots on the rims. The previous owner either rode it in the rain quite a bit (easy to do in Fla!) or didn't dry the wheels very well after a wash. The bike is really quite clean other than that and a few nuts and torx slots having rust in em.

Old 09-10-2006, 07:49 PM
DanDeuce
Road Captain

I use HONDA POLISH ( bought at my HD dealer ) for paint ,chrome and the windshield ! Originally asked the dealer what was the absolute best product to use on my windshield to avoid scratching , he led me over to the Honda Polish , detail in a can ! All my buddies that have saddlebags carry a can of this and a rag in their bags for on the road touch ups .

A little bird told me this , Honda Polish is the same as Pledge , just a different scent !

Throw the steel wool far away , it will scratch ! If you absolutely need something to remove rust , ball up some aluminum foil and scrub with that - wet is better . Aluminum is harder than rust but much softer than chrome . Personally I would NOT use it on my Harley . On my trucks bumpers or a Honda - fine .

Old 09-10-2006, 08:08 PM
DoCPooF
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I tried the hot towel trick today.

Got a towel and soaked it with hot water, layed it over the windshield, washed the rest of the bike, took off the towel and 99% of the bugs and juice were gone.

Worked perfectly.

Best of all, no elbow grease needed.

Old 09-10-2006, 08:12 PM
BLONDIE
Intermediate

Which Pledge formula do you use on the windshields??

Thanks again and ride safe

Old 09-11-2006, 02:01 AM
copout221
Cruiser

Just tried the pledge on my windshield and paint. Worked great. Just told the wife to pick some more up since it is cheaper than Harley chrome polish.

Old 09-11-2006, 02:24 AM
IRready
Road Master

ORIGINAL: BLONDIE

Which Pledge formula do you use on the windshields??

Thanks again and ride safe
I just use the standard pledge. (yellow can) I did not even realize there was different formula's. Again, I have never used it on my paint, just the shield. Works great.

Old 09-11-2006, 03:38 AM
surv1
Road Warrior

At the risk of getting flamed....try Honda spray cleaner and polish, this stuff works wonders on windshields and paint, and lasts a long time. Works great on bugs too. And the stuff is like $6 a can, and a can will last ya months.

Quick Reply: Windshield washing and bike cleaning?