General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spooked!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 12:05 AM
oldbagr
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is a big difference between fear and nervousness; fear is disabling whereas nervousness can heighten awareness. Fear causes us to freeze when an emergency arises. Anyone can buy a motorcycle and most can pass a test for license endorsement... still doesn't make them a "rider". Also, nothing wrong if riding is no longer for you. Take some time away form the bike and do a personal assessment... is the risk of injury worth the pleasure you get from riding your bike (only you can make this assessment and only you can decide which answer is right for you and your family).

Old 09-09-2010, 11:46 AM
jgcable
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I would be considered the "heightened awareness" type of rider. Since 2006 I have logged about 40,000 miles accident free. I took the MSC course. I even read the Total Control books. I know many many guys who have been riding for 30 years and haven't put on 40K of miles. I tend to have alot more fun on my bike when I am riding solo. I feel a ton of responsibility with my wife on the back. I think about what my kids would do. Granted.. they are 21, 18 and 16 but still... I worry about it.
I am not sure the risk of injury is worth the pleasure I get from riding my bike anymore.
Especially when I am riding 2-up.
Here is something else I notice... tell me if this sounds even remotely sane!
At least 90% of the guys I know that ride have the following things in common...
#1. They are sober recovering alcoholics
#2. They are divorced or about to be
#3. They all drive fast either in the car or on the bike. I am talking very fast.
#4. They smoke
#5. They have had trouble with the law
#6. They generally live on the edge and are risk takers. The moto "you only live once" or "you can't take it with you" or "when its your time to go.. its your time to go" is widely used and accepted by them.
#7. Connecticut is a no helmet state. NONE of the guys I ride with.. nor their significant others.. wear a helmet.

Here is how the above list of 7 applies to me.
#1. Don't drink
#2. Happily married for 21 years
#3. I drive the speed limit or at the most 10mph over pending conditions and traffic flow. I have never gotten any type of moving violation of any kind in 33 years of driving.
#4. I have never smoked
#5. Never had a problem with the law
#6. I am conservative and I don't belive or live by any of those moto's.
#7. I wear a helmet 100% of the time. If I lost my helmet I wouldn't ride until I got another one. I currently own 3. My wife has one but she doesn't wear it because she says it messes up her hair. I would rather have messy hair than a cracked skull.