General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spooked!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 08:01 PM
Dog Father
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think fear can be a good thing if it keeps you safe. On the other hand, if it takes the fun out of it I would go for some easy routes with less traffic so you can enjoy it more. If that doesn't work for you, I would see how you feel in the spring (since we're getting close to putting them away). You can always see how you feel after getting away for a few months.

The other thing is, we all die. We could drop dead tomorrow. For me, getting on and riding is about soaking up everything this life has to offer. I know I could get killed while riding, but I could also have a heart attack or stroke. So we never know. If you decide to give up riding, just make sure you do something to takes its place, life is too short either way.

Old 09-07-2010, 08:03 PM
BeavisRules
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would say that if you are not enjoying the ride anymore then it is time to park the bike and take some time off two wheels.

There is nothing wrong with a little nervousnous but I couldn't imagine riding at pucker factor 10 all the time. I had a kid run a stop sign in front of me a little over a year ago and I still slow down at intersections but 90% of the rest of the day I am at ease and comfortable.

Do whatever you feel you need to do. If you you walk away and later realize that something is missing then you can always come back.

Old 09-07-2010, 08:08 PM
lakeman
Tourer

It's your decision, not ours, but I prefer to look at it like this. Fireman suit up everyday, police, pilots that trust their lives to mechanics, fishermen and many other dangerous trades.

Not for everybody.

Old 09-07-2010, 08:09 PM
Kumite
Tourer

You can come close to eliminating the number one cause for motorcycle crashes with the addion of a simple aftermarket product.

Most on this board will not do this but I have and my wife has on her bike. It makes a huge difference in stoping people from not seeing you and turning in front of you.

What is it you may ask...... a headlight modulatory. They flat out see me now.

Before you give it up... you may want to try one of these. It will help lower the odds.

https://www.kisantech.com/index.php?cat_id=2

R. Todd

Old 09-07-2010, 08:16 PM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member

A lack of confidence can cause hesitation and the inability to make rational, quick decisions when needed. Get right or get off the bike.

Old 09-07-2010, 08:20 PM
Brewtality
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Kumite
You can come close to eliminating the number one cause for motorcycle crashes with the addion of a simple aftermarket product.

Most on this board will not do this but I have and my wife has on her bike. It makes a huge difference in stoping people from not seeing you and turning in front of you.

What is it you may ask...... a headlight modulatory. They flat out see me now.

Before you give it up... you may want to try one of these. It will help lower the odds.

https://www.kisantech.com/index.php?cat_id=2

R. Todd
That and a taillight from BrightAssLights. I swear that since I put on my BrightAssLights taillight, people gave me an extra 2-3 car lengths behind me on the freeway when I tap the breaks, and i get a full 1-2 car lengths between me and the car behind me at stop lights.

Old 09-07-2010, 08:21 PM
bjewell
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 348 Likes on 134 Posts

My best friend died three weeks ago of a massive heart attack in his bedroom. He was 62. Your call... :- )

Old 09-07-2010, 08:25 PM
Gypsylady
-Moderator-"Wench with a Wrench and Queen of Quips"
Received 1,980 Likes on 755 Posts

I've been hit twice on bikes...I'm in the process of getting another ride. All I can say is we all owe a life...I'm gonna live mine!

Old 09-07-2010, 08:30 PM
Curt1953
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 97 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by will227457
grow a set..
WOW! Very intelligent response.

Old 09-07-2010, 08:35 PM
bzxgdk
Cruiser
Default Lights

I put the Motolights ($600) on the front and brightasslight BAL-2R ($440) for the tail light. Best investment I've made on bike. People say I stand out many blocks away and people leave plenty of space behind me... tapping the brake (I have it set on 3 quick flashes and then constant) really make people take notice.

Quick Reply: Spooked!!!