General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bikers beat down cager

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 12:21 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,355 Likes on 2,534 Posts

Originally Posted by babalu
and you have driven and eaten tacos, and talked on the phone, and tailgated, more than likely driven drunk before.
sorry, i have never driven a taco, how do they handle the twisties? and i can honestly say that i have never eaten a taco while driving.

none of us were there. the story could have gone down like this: guy driving car looking for his turn so he is going kinda slow. bikes behind guy are getting a little pissed because he is going so slow so they are closer to him than they should be (we've all done that). suddenly he sees his turn, but doesn't 'have time' to signal, just hits his brakes. lead bike cant go right because of person in right of lane, cant go straight or he hits the car, so he tries to go around on left. collides with car, dude has his arm hanging out the window cause its cool, and he obviously does not have ac. so with tempers raging, they beat the tar out of the car, which in this case means 2 broken windshields and a mirror.

sounds like bad decisions were made all around.

Old 09-08-2010, 12:24 PM
naedward81
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know it's not in the story, but everybody has overlooked the hand signal. Maybe his blinker doesn't work, and he was using his arm to signal.

Just saying.

Old 09-08-2010, 12:30 PM
EasternSP
Banned

Received 24,867 Likes on 9,332 Posts

soda pop gang.

Last edited by EasternSP; 09-08-2010 at 12:39 PM.
Old 09-08-2010, 12:36 PM
AnotherBlackSG
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 57 Likes on 31 Posts

I have to say, IMO, some of the responses here are just moronic! I could give a ***** about what kind of car the guy was driving, OR the soda can, OR what the driver might or might not have done OR whether he lived in a TP or a f*cking mansion. For 15 "bikers" to beat up on anyone over something like this is completely out of line and gives us all a bad rap.

It sounds to me like at least one of these idiots wasn't paying attention and acted irresponsibly. Seriously, when a cage slows down in front of me (turn signal on or not) I slow down to see what he's gonna do. I don't make any assumptions. I take a more defensive position and I certainly don't try to pass over a double yellow line. It's just that simple. Further, if even 1 of the 15 "bikers" started wailing on this guy, then IMO, they're all a bunch of p*ssies. Grow the f*ck up and start taking responsibility for your own mistakes!

Old 09-08-2010, 12:38 PM
VsTheWorld
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lesseee.... "bikers are from maryland"

perhaps they are douche 1%ers with their territory claimed on their vests? Or maybe the license plates were all from...oh, i don't know... MARYLAND?

yeah, nobody carries sodas around on a bike - there is no market for drink holders on harleys

...keep circling the wagon, no way 15 brave bikers could ever perpetrate such an offense on one unarmed citizen... bikers would only ever go 1 on 1 in a fair fight (over the last pair of assless chaps on sale)

Old 09-08-2010, 01:10 PM
TerryFXST
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by EasternSP
soda pop gang.
I hear they’re at war with the Lollipop Guild.

Old 09-08-2010, 01:13 PM
Zenmervolt
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Just-a-Guy
in many states it is not "illegal" to pass on a double yellow line unless there is a sign that says no passing on the double yellow line. I won a court case on that basis once -- even the judge didn't know the rule until I pointed out the specific statute.
Unless you can provide the statute, I'm going to have to call BS on that.

Old 09-08-2010, 01:25 PM
Just-a-Guy
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Zenmervolt
Unless you can provide the statute, I'm going to have to call BS on that.
..."call BS"... what a ridiculous phrase.

The Pennsylvania statute was cited in the section from Wikipedia that I quoted. Indeed, there's a hyperlink to the statute, if you'd like to read it. Since this incident took place in Pennsylvania, it does seem arguably "relevant".... There are quite a few other similar statutes in other states. But you go ahead and "call BS", and think whatever you like. Makes no difference at all to me.

Old 09-08-2010, 01:25 PM
Just-a-Guy
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

accidental double post, sorry

Old 09-08-2010, 01:28 PM
Zenmervolt
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Just-a-Guy
You know, it's one thing to be an idiot, it's another thing entirely to be an arrogant idiot. From wikipedia:

"In some states, it is not against the law to overtake vehicles in the presence of solid yellow lines if it is safe to do so. Section 3303 and 3305 of the Pennsylvania driver code are examples. Vermont State Law also allows passing of the double yellow line when no traffic is on the opposing side, however, one must pass quickly and return to the proper side."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double-yellow_line

And in case you're contemplating the standard response that wikipedia is not a reliable source, feel free to look up the individual statutes of various states. I found the above in less than 30 seconds, and that's already more time than I have to educate you.
Yeah, I looked at the statute. The PA statutes 3303 and 3305 never mention road markings at all. Absolutely nothing in 3303 or 3305 grants permission to pass on a double-yellow. In fact, 3307 expressly prohibits passing on a double-yellow.

PA 3307:

§ 3307. No-passing zones.
(a) Establishment and marking.--The department and local authorities may determine those portions of any highway under their respective jurisdictions where overtaking and passing or driving on the left side of the roadway would be especially hazardous and shall by appropriate signs or markings on the roadway indicate the beginning and end of such zones and when the signs or markings are in place and clearly visible to an
ordinarily observant person every driver of a vehicle shall obey the directions of the signs or markings. Signs shall be placed to indicate the beginning and end of each no-passing zone.
(b) Compliance by drivers.--Where signs and markings are in place to define a no-passing zone as set forth in subsection (a), no driver shall at any time drive on the left side of the roadway within the no-passing zone or on the left side of any pavement striping designed to mark a no-passing zone throughout its length.
Signs must be placed at the beginning and at the end of the zone, but if you turn onto the road in the middle of a zone, no signs are required and you're still bound by the road markings.

As for VT, Vermont Statutes chapter 23, section 1036 establishes the authority of the traffic committee to establish no-passing zones that are marked in such a way as to be, "clearly visible to an ordinarily observant person".

Despite the wikipedia claim, neither PA, nor VT actually authorize individuals to pass on a double-yellow. In both cases, poor legal scholarship has caused the wikipedia author to look only at the sections titled "passing on the left" while ignoring later sections defining limitations.

Someone who has been practicing law for 20 years ought to be able to parse the law better than that.

Quick Reply: Bikers beat down cager