General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3 bikes went down hard

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 08:11 AM
MDER123
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3 bikes went down hard

Felt I had to share this with the Forum,

On Saturday September 4th I was traveling southbound on the Palisades Interstate Parkway in NY in my minivan ( sorry). In the Northbound lane right by the bookstore if you know the PIP or exit 18ish 2 Harleys and either and Indian or a Triumph went down, there were 3 riders and a female passanger. I dont know what happened all I know is I was the 2nd person on the scene, and first to render help, my wife and kids were in the van (not good for them to see) and I needed to render 1st aide. I grabbed a sheet tore it into strips to apply pressure to the bleeders, turned off the gas lines and told my wife to call 911, Cars continued to try to get around all the bodies that were laying in the road. 1 guy was named Steve, All he wanted to and tried to do was get up, he kept saying his bike was fine and he wanted top ride home...( there was no way he or his bike was in any condition to move) and the other was a retired detective from the NYPD. The good news is all survived, there was a lot of head trauma, road rash and visable broken bones...when the ambulances arrived I knew my task was complete.

Bless them. Be aware and please friends RIDE SAFE.

Old 09-07-2010, 08:17 AM
Mike T
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Great job!This world needs more concerned people like you.

Old 09-07-2010, 08:29 AM
Malingerer
Road Warrior

I live in Florida,NY.There have been a ton of accidents in OC, NY this year. I just dont know WTF is going on.One of the fathers on my sons soccer team went down a couple of weeks ago in a multiple bike crash near West Point on 9A.I dont know if its a lot of new riders or what.But I'll tell ya it makes you think.Seems like every time I turn around someone is posting a thread like this on the forum from every state.Prayers and well wishes to everyone.

Old 09-07-2010, 08:29 AM
tx-skydiver
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So glad you were there with the knowledge and ability to assist. You probably saved some lives from further damage...especially the one who wanted to get up. Good job.

We all (including myself) should make it a point to learn as much first aid as possible. There would be nothing worst to me than to roll up on a scene like that and not know how to help them.

Old 09-07-2010, 08:35 AM
not_so_newb
Elite HDF Member
Received 824 Likes on 479 Posts

they were lucky you were there , thank you for helping

(i've been down and having someone come over to see how you are means a lot . i only got to say a brief thank you to the guy who stopped and took time out of his day to sit with me until the ambulance arrived)

Old 09-07-2010, 08:44 AM
gman33
Cruiser

WOW what a shame and thank you very much for helping. I called my sister when I was out on a ride Sunday to show her my new bike and she was heading to Virginia from PA because her best friend, who has been riding for years, hit gravel and went off the road. Needless to say she did not survive. God bless those that have lost their lives. Makes me kind of think twice....very scary

Old 09-07-2010, 09:40 AM
Boxer 6
Road Captain

Originally Posted by MDER123
Felt I had to share this with the Forum,

On Saturday September 4th I was traveling southbound on the Palisades Interstate Parkway in NY in my minivan ( sorry). In the Northbound lane right by the bookstore if you know the PIP or exit 18ish 2 Harleys and either and Indian or a Triumph went down, there were 3 riders and a female passanger. I dont know what happened all I know is I was the 2nd person on the scene, and first to render help, my wife and kids were in the van (not good for them to see) and I needed to render 1st aide. I grabbed a sheet tore it into strips to apply pressure to the bleeders, turned off the gas lines and told my wife to call 911, Cars continued to try to get around all the bodies that were laying in the road. 1 guy was named Steve, All he wanted to and tried to do was get up, he kept saying his bike was fine and he wanted top ride home...( there was no way he or his bike was in any condition to move) and the other was a retired detective from the NYPD. The good news is all survived, there was a lot of head trauma, road rash and visable broken bones...when the ambulances arrived I knew my task was complete.

Bless them. Be aware and please friends RIDE SAFE.
You're a good man for the help you and your wife gave. Thanks!! We ride in your area all the time including route 218 into Cornwall. Those roads (including the PIP) can be very unforgiving. Ride safe!

Old 09-07-2010, 09:54 AM
IzzoQuazzo
Retired Admin

Received 9,041 Likes on 3,711 Posts

Thanks for stopping. I hope they are all ok. When I totaled my 2007 EGC, I kept trying to get up and go to my bike. Luckily there was a good samaritan there to hold me down and wait for the medics. I consider him my guardian angel. If he hadn't stopped I would have died in the ditch.

Old 09-07-2010, 09:56 AM
csbreeze
Road Warrior

I am very poud of you for stopping and assisting. To many motorcycle riders and cars drive by downed bikers. We as bikers should always lend assistance to those of us that need it. Once again I am very proud of how you handled the situation.

Our sport/hobby/way of life which ever it may be to you guys is a very dangerous one as we all know. Those of us that can not live happily with out it such as myself and many of you understand these dangers. A person that has riding in their blood knows that if riding takes our life in the end well it just does because we wouldnt be complete with out the thrill. We are a different breed of people. We that cant live happily with out our motorcycles and travels on them understand we cant hold life to close because that would stop our love of riding. As an old biker that road more years than I was alive when it was said to me said it best. "Is that motorcycle worth loosing your life to ride"? I told him I would get back with him on that. He stated, "If its not worth loosing your life stop riding".

In time I saw the old man again and I stated I have your answer. "Yes it is worth loosing my life to enjoy my life with this motorcycle." He stated, "Its in your blood now". There was no right or wrong answer to his question. It was just a decision he wanted me to make with the knowledge that riding could take my life. Its the unseen that makes the accident and inury happen normally. A lot of times we dont even know what happen till someone tells us after the accident.

Be safe guys.

Last edited by csbreeze; 09-07-2010 at 10:03 AM.
Old 09-07-2010, 12:34 PM
MDER123
Advanced

Quick Reply: 3 bikes went down hard