Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

loud pipes save lives....or not?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2006, 04:58 AM
veniculum
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default loud pipes save lives....or not?

There's a huge debate going on these days about loud pipes vs. quiet exhaust. As you all know, the motorcycle media (i.e. magazines), as well as the manufacturers, including HD, are all trying to convince the motorcycle riders that we need to quiet our bikes down. There are several reasons for this....probably the most common is a quality of life issue. The non motorcycling communtiy is complaining about the loud exhaust on our motorcycles...perhaps they are offended...or intimidated.
Either way, I was kinda on the fence on the whole issue. Personally, I don't need to have a really loud exhaust. I'm satisfied with just being able to hear myself shift...which we all know isn't possible on most stock motorcycles. So I had the dealer install SE II slip-ons on my bike. They sounded good and weren't offensively loud. On my previous scoot, I had a set of cobra pipes which were louder than what I have now..but still not rediculous. On the other hand, I see guys ride past me all the time...some of which are my riding buddies...who have really loud exhausts. Enough to shake the windows on a house or a passing car. Or enough to make the floor rumble...you get the idea. In contrast to this, you see the guys on BMWs...and some other metric motorcycles, and they're bikes are so silent, you could basically have a quiet conversation on one of those things at full speed.

Well...I'm going to say that after a short ride today, I'm no longer on the fence. Let me explain. Please keep in mind that I've been riding for almost 10 years now...I have over 50,000 miles under my belt. I wouldn't consider myself a rookie by any stretch. At the same time...I'm not a 50 year veteran either. Still, I've been riding long enough to have had plenty of close calls. I'm very aware of what's going on around me. And I'm proud to say that I haven't been down...yet. So back to the point of my post. Today I was riding on a two lane road when I came to a traffic light. I was about the third car to the light, and the other lane had equally as many cars. So when the light changed, one of the cars in front of me was making a left, so it made it impossible for my lane to go straight. Then the car made the left, and my lane started moving again. As I continue through the light, I start passing a couple cars in the right lane. At the same time, there are two lanes going in the opposite direction...jammed with traffic...so having an out in an emergency, was not an alternative (like I said..I'm always conscience of what's going on around me). So just as I'm about to pass another car on my right...a minivan of course...she starts coming right into my lane. Now I understand that I was in her blind spot...but she was going no matter what. No quick glance to her left..nothing..she was just going. So I started beeping and yelling...and she looks over at me with the "oh my god...sorry" and slammed her wheel back to the right...narrowly missing me. And of course...she was on her cell phone....f*cking surprise!

So my point is...if my bike was louder...loud enough to rattle house windows, and set off car alarms....she would've heard me before she decided to head into my lane...even if she was to oblivious to look. Now I understand that this is just one situation...and I don't know if it's enough of an argument to justify a loud exhaust to non-riders...but no more will I question it when I hear someone on a bike with a really obnoxious exhaust. As far as I'm concerned, they're doing what they can to protect themselves. And while I'm not going to run right out tomorrow to put something louder on my bike...no more will I try to see it from the point of view of a non-motorcyclist. I'm sorry..but until the law really starts to come down on people driving and talking on their cell phones...this is one of our (the motorcyclists) only defenses.

I came very close to getting seriously hurt or maybe even killed today. I've made up my mi

Old 09-09-2006, 05:06 AM
PoleCat
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: loud pipes save lives....or not?

Glad u got thru that without getting hurt.

I agree, been in the same situation. and I've seen a driver's head snap in my direction when I rapped on the throttle too. Before I did, she didn't know anyone else was even on the highway.

Loud pipes work just like a loud horn, only better.

Old 09-09-2006, 05:33 AM
ladyglide
Elite HDF Member

ORIGINAL: PoleCat

I agree, been in the same situation. and I've seen a driver's head snap in my direction when I rapped on the throttle too. Before I did, she didn't know anyone else was even on the highway.

This kept me rollin' on when the impatient driver that JUST passed me, but did not make the gap, to get in front of the car right in front of me......... Then thought she needed MY SPOT. 3 lanes, car on my left, car on my right (her), car in front of me.

Good thing I expected it, cause she did it, and as I'm hitting the brakes, riding on the white dashed line between lanes, and "piping" her, she pulled back into her lane.. WHEWWWWW! livin' to ride another day.

Oh, yeah, that was about 2,000 miles into my life on 2 wheels[:-], commuting experiece, and watching my surroundings helped as well. The straight pipes let her know where I was

Old 09-09-2006, 05:54 AM
FatIndy
Intermediate

Not so sure load pipes are going to help with most drivers. I am a LEO in a major city and I could not tell you the number of times I have been on my way to an emergency with lights and sirens and got behind someone who was oblivious to what was going on around them. Sometimes I will get right behind them and use the spot light on my car to try and get them to move to the right. It’s kind of funny because when I patrol the “dope neighborhoods” the drug dealers can spot my car from 3 blocks away. Turn my lights and siren on and the car becomes invisible.

Old 09-09-2006, 07:00 AM
dgator66
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I remember when I took driver's ed, back in the day. The instructor back then stressed that you used all of your appropriate senses when you drove. I thought the old geezer was crazy. He would make us drive with our windows cracked open about half an inch. He said it was so you could hear sirens, or screeching brakes, or trains, or .... you get the picture. The problem nowadays is that folks think of their car as a cocoon, something to insulate them from everything in the outside world. The problems arise when those of us on two wheels get in the way of folks who are too preoccupied with keeping everything outside of their bubble.

Old 09-09-2006, 08:05 AM
saltlick
Road Warrior
Received 232 Likes on 175 Posts

i really think cell phones are a big problem. lets face it, how many wemon have you seen on thier frikking cell phones? chicks like to talk, alot. i think giving a woman a cell phone while shes driving is the worst thing you could possibly do. They are bad drivers to begin with, hand them a phone and its like they loose thier minds. I got cut off by some chick on her cell phone just yesterday, i have really loud pipes too. Mine set off alarms (just did yesterday) i saw this girl driving eratically from way back, i stayed clear and went to pass her quickly, of course she comes right over on me as im starting to pass her. I slam on my brakes and she just keeps on going into my lane, i speed up to her and get next to her and gun my engine giving her the finger. Shes still on the cell phone oblivious that i am even there. i swear that makes for some road rage right there.

Old 09-09-2006, 08:46 AM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Instead of beeping the horn and yelling, if you would simply have braked a little there might not have been the crisis that you describe.

I'm always amused by those that talk about blowing their horns or wishing they had air-horns, etc. I don't even know if my horn works. To me it's difficult to blow horns and take evasive action at the same time. I opt to just avoid any problems. I do have 60+ years and am not a rookie either.

Old 09-09-2006, 08:56 AM
Hackd
Elite HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 76 Posts

Most of the noise from loud pipes is behind the motorcycle when you're riding.....Most of the vehicles that are gonna hurt you are in front of the motorcycle.

Old 09-09-2006, 09:10 AM
Fred00
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: PoleCat

Why better than a horn? In my mind a horn is more alarming than blipping the throttle.

Old 09-09-2006, 09:12 AM
KeithB
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

the other side of the coin with loud pipes is with some drivers they cause agressive behavior

Quick Reply: loud pipes save lives....or not?