Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

loud pipes save lives....or not?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2006, 09:54 PM
Hiram
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: loud pipes save lives....or not?

Have loud pipes ever helped me out of a jam. Nope, but then mine aren't that loud. When I bought the bike I paid special attention to the exhaust. It needed to have a good low rumble and nice sound and not be real loud. When I bought this house, the neighbors HATED the previous occupant. Biggest reason, biker w/ extremely loud pipes. I leave for work at 5AM, no complaints yet.

Should loud pipes be banned? Nope, let the guy who's riding the scoot decide what he wants. It is his bike.

Should noise levels be regulated? You bet. How many times have you seen the signs on the highway, "Engine brakes must have mufflers". There is a place for noise and a place for quiet. I don't like my peace and quiet time at home disturbed by loud engine noises, be it car, truck, bike or airplane. I didn't buy the house next to a freeway or in a flight path. I have no problem with those who are considerate and don't rapp up the engine in the neighborhood, and I don't think it's fair for a cop to make you rapp it up to "test" you. If you're a considerate person you use just enough throttle to get the job done. I do think that those like to hot rod, or hot dog through residential areas need tickets, not only for disturbing the peace, but for endangerment as well. IF this was all the case, and you still don't like the engine noise, then move your butt away from the highway / main road.

Do I want to follow my brother w/ his straight pipes on a ride again? Hell NO. Gave me a headache within 5 minutes. Learned to stay back at least 100yds. Now he can follow me.

Old 09-17-2006, 10:20 PM
nine11c2
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 54 Likes on 26 Posts

Guys, I do an awful lot of riding on two lane roads because there are just som many @$$holes out there. I think that louder than stock really helps. I feel much better when in the middle lane of a three lane road, that I try to ride quickly thru the blind spot and be beside a car so that my pipes tell them I'm there. Was just in geezer village for the day (just outside of Seaside Heights in NJ). The throttle also lets me remind the old folks I'm there without having to move my hand to the horn. I think it also tell folks to look for a bike, not a car, which a horn doesn't.

On the same trip, I actually knew three OTHER bikers were around because while on 37 going under the GSP (after a cager nearly ran my brother off the road riding on the shoulder going from the GSP North entrance to the South entrance) I heard them myself.

If you want to split hairs, replacement pipes (Python, V&H, Rienhardt) or slip ons, do the job, and maybe zero baffle/straight/short (LMF, etc) are a bit over the top. Heck, you know what, they sound good. People gotta lighten up. BTW, I DO have my pipes (V&H Big Shot Staggered) cause I like the way they sound. But a side bene is that they make people aware that I'm around.

It's real simple. Loud pipes don't hurt and they can only help. If you're so sure people don't hear you when you're behind them, then might as well rip the horn off your bike as well...

Old 09-18-2006, 01:57 AM
Phil K
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The way i look at it, every little bit helps. If one cager doesn't pull out in front of me because of the pipes, it's worth it....although i got rear ended once on a Sporty with open drag pipes, so there ya go....and there are those that get really aggravated at the noise...anymore i try for a happy medium with SE2's...

Old 09-18-2006, 07:47 AM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

There's no way of proving this but, with a touch of humor, I'll bet that most people that advocate loud pipes saves lives don't wear helmets!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Makes you wonder whose life they're trying to save. LOL

Old 09-18-2006, 10:37 AM
jeepster09
Grand HDF Member
Received 7,705 Likes on 1,254 Posts

[sm=funnypostabove.gif][sm=exactly.gif][sm=closed.gif]

Old 09-18-2006, 01:53 PM
slacker
Cruiser

I see a LOT of responses that yes they do, no they don't make a difference. The fact is that there is no statistical evidence one way or the other. Unless someone has completed a study in the last two weeks while I was on vacation this is still true.

So lets look at the average driver. Radio, cell phone, thinking about work, kids, partner, what to make for dinner, whatever. People today are inattentive. It doesn't matter what they drive, how old they are, what they do for a living, or anything else. They just plain do not pay attention when they drive. Our response should be to absolutely, positively drive defensively. If someone wants to cut in front of you and you do not have room to speed up or slow down who is at fault? The answer my friends is that you are. You are responsible for your safety. You might like the other drivers to hear you and give a crap but the truth is they don't. Even if they hear you they don't care about you.

The mechanics of the body are interesting, as are people's physical reactions to stimuli. Ever notice what people do when they hear a loud noise? They LOOK AT IT. And when their head and eyes move towards a sound what happens to their hands? They turn the steering wheel. Which direction? TOWARD THE SOUND. Sure, you are a perfect driver and you don't do that right? Right.

Flame me if you like, but the simple truth is that loud pipes make some people feel safer. If that's what they do for you, great. Some people think they aren't cool if they aren't deaf from their pipes. More power to you. But if you drive like everyone is out to get you, and you pay attention to all the idiots on the road with you, you will be a whole lot safer than relying on some arcane idea that loud pipes save lives. Stop believing the hype and actually think for yourself.

Old 09-18-2006, 03:12 PM
Paintrain
Banned

ORIGINAL: slacker

I see a LOT of responses that yes they do, no they don't make a difference. The fact is that there is no statistical evidence one way or the other. Unless someone has completed a study in the last two weeks while I was on vacation this is still true.

So lets look at the average driver. Radio, cell phone, thinking about work, kids, partner, what to make for dinner, whatever. People today are inattentive. It doesn't matter what they drive, how old they are, what they do for a living, or anything else. They just plain do not pay attention when they drive. Our response should be to absolutely, positively drive defensively. If someone wants to cut in front of you and you do not have room to speed up or slow down who is at fault? The answer my friends is that you are. You are responsible for your safety. You might like the other drivers to hear you and give a crap but the truth is they don't. Even if they hear you they don't care about you.

The mechanics of the body are interesting, as are people's physical reactions to stimuli. Ever notice what people do when they hear a loud noise? They LOOK AT IT. And when their head and eyes move towards a sound what happens to their hands? They turn the steering wheel. Which direction? TOWARD THE SOUND. Sure, you are a perfect driver and you don't do that right? Right.

Flame me if you like, but the simple truth is that loud pipes make some people feel safer. If that's what they do for you, great. Some people think they aren't cool if they aren't deaf from their pipes. More power to you. But if you drive like everyone is out to get you, and you pay attention to all the idiots on the road with you, you will be a whole lot safer than relying on some arcane idea that loud pipes save lives. Stop believing the hype and actually think for yourself.
That last line is like the pot calling the kettle black. If you you can't invalidate the other persons argument invalidate THEM (because you don't agree with me, YOU DON'T THINK FOR YOURSELF).

That's EXACTLY what "they" say about guns. It's ALL in your head.

Yes I agree. You can't argue with all that LOGIC. I drive towards everything I look at too. road signs, hot chick in cars next to me, accident scenes, fire trucks and police cars.

There is no (not much any way) reason to flame that post. It is what it is (Spontaneous combustion) . It would be like calling professional wrestling scripted (no ****)
There is no reason to even go over what is wrong with this type of thinking.

One LAST time and then I'm out of here.

I had loud pipe (NO, LOUD. NOT SE). I could easily get peoples attention within an 1/8 of a mile or more at speed. I could see people in their cars in FRONT of me 3 car lengths or more turning their head because of my exhaust. ( By the way if exhaust LFE doesn't carry FORWARD how the hell is a horn HFE). I admit it they turned into me AND other drivers almost every time. I'm actually on my 14 Nightrain in a yr and I'm immortal.

Their are three perspectives on things, Yours theirs and the right one (mine). If it happens to match one of the other two, what can I say. I have NO BIAS and NO AGENDA.

No forget every thing I've written. I admit it. It's the "catch phrase" that made my mind up.

(By the way I like your use of the word "arcane" as a "discrediting quality". Nothing to do with the meaning of the word though. But doesn't it make you FEEL intelligent.)

I'M DONE.

Now to convince them mislams their wrong.

Old 09-18-2006, 04:38 PM
AK_Hog_Herder
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

To all riders

If you choose to run drag pipes or any excessively loud pipe that is your choice.

But try not to hide behind the excuse that the noise is a safety device. There is no conclusive data one way or the other.

Also be ready for the day you start getting tickets for EPA and noise violations. That day is closer than you think. People are getting angry about loud noise from all sources. That is why there are curfews at airports and why the man will be coming after both your boom box and your drag pipes.

Old 09-18-2006, 04:38 PM
slacker
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: Paintrain

That last line is like the pot calling the kettle black. If you you can't invalidate the other persons argument invalidate THEM (because you don't agree with me, YOU DON'T THINK FOR YOURSELF).

That's EXACTLY what "they" say about guns. It's ALL in your head.

Yes I agree. You can't argue with all that LOGIC. I drive towards everything I look at too. road signs, hot chick in cars next to me, accident scenes, fire trucks and police cars.

There is no (not much any way) reason to flame that post. It is what it is (Spontaneous combustion) . It would be like calling professional wrestling scripted (no ****)
There is no reason to even go over what is wrong with this type of thinking.

One LAST time and then I'm out of here.

I had loud pipe (NO, LOUD. NOT SE). I could easily get peoples attention within an 1/8 of a mile or more at speed. I could see people in their cars in FRONT of me 3 car lengths or more turning their head because of my exhaust. ( By the way if exhaust LFE doesn't carry FORWARD how the hell is a horn HFE). I admit it they turned into me AND other drivers almost every time. I'm actually on my 14 Nightrain in a yr and I'm immortal.

Their are three perspectives on things, Yours theirs and the right one (mine). If it happens to match one of the other two, what can I say. I have NO BIAS and NO AGENDA.

No forget every thing I've written. I admit it. It's the "catch phrase" that made my mind up.

(By the way I like your use of the word "arcane" as a "discrediting quality". Nothing to do with the meaning of the word though. But doesn't it make you FEEL intelligent.)

I'M DONE.

Now to convince them mislams their wrong.
Wow. Lots of personal attack in that post. Thanks for playing!

Old 09-18-2006, 08:18 PM
Paintrain
Banned

You're welcome.