General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

loud pipes save lives....or not?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2006, 07:59 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts
Default RE: loud pipes save lives....or not?

My experience with the slip ons is that they help others hear you when they can't see you. Sometimes. That's all, sometimes. But sometimes works for me. I have had 2 or 3 times where people start merging into my lane and then pull back when I blip the throttle.

Old 09-10-2006, 08:03 PM
HDWG
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I am of the opinion that yes loud pipes save lifes.......and scare deer. Cagers coming out of a hidden drive.........turning period! Hit the throttle and they turn their head and look at you, usually still turn because they think you are further from them than you are.

Old 09-10-2006, 08:12 PM
springerGT
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great reply. So True.
Gene

Old 09-10-2006, 08:15 PM
HDWG
Big Kahuna HDF Member

I expect the worst of all cagers, slow down and let them do what they need to or, move outta the way if I can.......usually giving them a piece of my mind as I go by shortly there after.

Old 09-10-2006, 08:17 PM
veniculum
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: HDWG

I am of the opinion that yes loud pipes save lifes.......and scare deer. Cagers coming out of a hidden drive.........turning period! Hit the throttle and they turn their head and look at you, usuall still turn because they think you are further from them than you are.
This is a great point. Unfortunately, I can't support the loud pipes in this situation. Reason being is that I live in an area that is absolutely infested with deer. Loud pipes can work two ways when talking about deer. One...like you said...they can scare deer away. Or two, they can scare deer into running out in front of you...especially at night. Unfortunately, deer don't necessarily run away from the sound...they just run. Not very bright those damn deer.
Personally, I'm much more afraid of deer than cars where I ride...basically because there are so many more of them. I've given up riding at night.

So while I've been leaning more towards supporting loud pipes in this discussion..I don't know if I can support them when it comes to deer.

Todd

Old 09-10-2006, 08:20 PM
HDWG
Big Kahuna HDF Member

I agree, you do not know which way they will go........At night going down some of the roads we live around, you see lots of eyes glowing!!!! I usually just slow it down a tad and hope they go the other way!
ORIGINAL: veniculum

ORIGINAL: HDWG

I am of the opinion that yes loud pipes save lifes.......and scare deer. Cagers coming out of a hidden drive.........turning period! Hit the throttle and they turn their head and look at you, usuall still turn because they think you are further from them than you are.
This is a great point. Unfortunately, I can't support the loud pipes in this situation. Reason being is that I live in an area that is absolutely infested with deer. Loud pipes can work two ways when talking about deer. One...like you said...they can scare deer away. Or two, they can scare deer into running out in front of you...especially at night. Unfortunately, deer don't necessarily run away from the sound...they just run. Not very bright those damn deer.
Personally, I'm much more afraid of deer than cars where I ride...basically because there are so many more of them. I've given up riding at night.

So while I've been leaning more towards supporting loud pipes in this discussion..I don't know if I can support them when it comes to deer.

Todd

Old 09-11-2006, 12:17 AM
orangecrush
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: CraigC

ORIGINAL: orangecrush

Hell no... sound travels in the direction of flow. I don't buy for a second that a car changing lanes to get in front of you could even hear your bike.
Coming from behind is different, you can definitely hear a bike ahead but the old excuse "loud pipes saves lives" is bs.

You mean to tell me you've never heard a Harley coming 'at' you??? I have to call bullsh!t on that argument.

Not if the bike is coming from behind me... nope, never heard one and I doubt any cage would recognize a bike two car lengths behind them just because they have loud pipes....

Mark

Old 09-11-2006, 01:20 AM
veniculum
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: orangecrush

Not if the bike is coming from behind me... nope, never heard one and I doubt any cage would recognize a bike two car lengths behind them just because they have loud pipes....

Mark
I have to disagree with this. I was on I-78 in NJ driving a truck the other night for work...lots of wind noise...lots of other cars...and I heard a guy on a springer well before he passed me...well before. I can say this because I usually pay attention to people on harleys. I like to see what they're riding and what they've done to their bikes...obviously being an enthusiast, this is pretty normal. This guy had what I would consider an excessively loud exhaust. But I specifically remember this because I caught myself wondering what kind of bike was about to pass me....Of course, I knew it was a springer because I looked in the rearview once I heard him..but still..I didn't know what he had done to it..and if it was a classic or an fx springer. The point is, had I not heard him before he passed, I wouldn't have glanced in my rearview to see the forks, make the call that it was a springer...and then watch as he passed...only to confirm that it was an fx springer with a set of (at least) 14 inch ape hangers. Bad a$$ bike by the way...if the guy who was riding it is a member of this board

Old 09-11-2006, 01:31 AM
grunt
Extreme HDF Member

Remember that low frequencies are omni directional, so even behind at close range the low rumble will outrun the bike forward as well as its back direction.

Old 09-11-2006, 03:50 AM
veniculum
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: grunt

Remember that low frequencies are omni directional, so even behind at close range the low rumble will outrun the bike forward as well as its back direction.
This is absolutely correct. I replied with the example of a bike coming up from behind me driving my work truck...but the fact is, this is just basic physics. We're talking about sound. Sound from any source travels in all directions in a constant atmosphere (i.e. air)...it's intensity/speed is determined by the materials it's travelling through...in this case the air, and the windows of a car (glass)...Sound travels through the air at approximately 761 mph. The issue in this instance isn't the speed of the bike or the car in front of the bike...it's decible level. That said, I think it's safe to assume a motorcycle with an exceptionally loud exhaust can easily penetrate the windows of a car at rest. If there's anyone who'd like to debate that, I have a bridge in NY I can sell you.

With that, you'd literally have to be travelling in your car at 761 mph (perhaps a few mph slower if your windows were closed) in order to not be able to hear a sound behind you that you would normally hear at rest...provided the sound source (motorcycle) is something that is travelling at the same speed as you or faster in the same direction...all of which is the case as far as this discussion is concerned.
Now, if we were talking about a motorcycle passing you in the opposite direction, obviously the decible level would decrease much more rapidly, thus you'd hear it for a much shorter time period. But in the case of a motorcycle approaching you from the rear, about to pass, or maintaining a steady position behind your vehicle...if the motorcycle has an exhaust that is loud enough to be heard while you're stopped at a light...then that exhaust is loud enough to be heard while both vehicles are moving at any speed..up until approx. 761 mph...provided both vehicles are in air...again, I think that's safe to assume both vehicles will be in an atmosphere of air. And if there's anyone who'd like to debate that you need air for a motorcycle or car to run, I have a road that runs to Hawaii I can sell you.

To the folks who claim they've never heard a motorcycle approaching them from behind, then a.) they've never had a motorcycle with an exhaust loud enough to penetrate their windows pass them....b.) they have a REALLY loud stereo, and they always play it at full volume....c.) Their car was under water....d.) they have a car that can reach 761 mph....or e.) they most likely just weren't paying attention. Personally, I like example "d"

I'll shut up now

Todd

Quick Reply: loud pipes save lives....or not?