General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

loud pipes save lives....or not?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2006, 08:41 PM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: loud pipes save lives....or not?

Instead of doing hand to hand combat with a Ford Explorer, I thinnk I would probably have just backed off.

Old 09-09-2006, 09:46 PM
grunt
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just rode a little Honda for my cuz, and that things stock pipes are louder than stock HDs. It is not obnoxious, most likely not illegal, and THEY ARE STOCK. The sound gets you noticed.

They will not solve the problem of the morons on the road, but do help. The rest is good brakes, paranoia while riding, and experience. The government will never do the right thing, NEVER. They are full of losers only looking out for themselves, and until we legislate that all politicians must ride to and from work, they will never make the proper legislation to get people as dangerous as drunks off the road.

Old 09-09-2006, 10:34 PM
Tim
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I like it LOUD! It is the way it was and the way it should be for Harleys. Tim

Old 09-09-2006, 11:43 PM
cowboy Harry
Road Warrior

Loud pipes saving lives is about the biggest pile of bull shiet Ive ever heard.. plum fn stupid!!![8D]

Old 09-09-2006, 11:45 PM
SUPER01
Road Warrior

A lot of people may disagree with me, but I think driving while talking on a cell phone should be banned. I've had way too many close calls in the cage and on the bike with people talking on the those things. When/if they realize they just cut you off you either got the sorry look or the WTF are you looking at look.
12 years ago before everyone had one, my boss at the time was talking to one of our clients while they were driving, all of a sudden he says "Holy chit" then there is silence. Couple seconds later he's back on and says he just flipped his truck while on the highway. Yes it was his fault, wasn't paying attention. Luckily he only took out his own truck and no one else.

Before I get flamed. Yes I have one, but I don't use it while driving, I keep the thing shut off.

I have some loud slip-ons and they have gotten the attention of some cagers that I know didn't see me till I blipped the throttle to make my pressense known. You need to be on the lookout at all times because they are not looking out for you.

Old 09-10-2006, 12:11 AM
JBA111
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If LOUD pipes get yu noticed then why the heck are any of you getting cut off??? You just defeated your own arguement!! And if your so safety conscience then you all MUST have big reflector tape stripes all over your bike , right? And a bunch of red an yellow strips on your helmets too , RIGHT!! Yea right! And most of your bikes are painted dark colors like BLACK cause you want to bee seen real easily for safetys sake, right, yea right!
Your so worried about safety that alot of you don't know if your dam horn even WORKS!! yea right safetys really on your mind! And if you are too lazy to check the stock horn it's a given that you won't spend any bucks getting a good horn. yea right it's all about safety..
I heard this arguement back in 69 when I bought my first Harley. It was full of CRAP then and it's full of CRAP now!!
YOU GUYS RUN LOUD PIPES CAUSE YOU LIKE TO HEAR YOUR BIKE WITH LOUD PIPES and YOU WANT EVERYONE TO LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME !!! Anything else IS bullsnot!!
Hay why not go with the saveing gas theame cause your bikes run better!! Gosh your a conservationist, bet ch didn't know you was a greenie huh...
I love hearing powerful Hi Performance machines doing what they was built for, and that's raceing! And running up an down the street ain't raceing. And a stock Harley with a free flow aircleaner and loud pipes is still just a STOCK Harley! But I guess you can impress the teeny bopbers and scare the ol ladies with it!
If you want a law, then make it that no stock bikes can run loud pipes. Hell, atleast make the loud bikes something WORTH hearing, like a motor with some good cams and headwork!!

Old 09-10-2006, 12:22 AM
grunt
Extreme HDF Member

ORIGINAL: JBA111
If LOUD pipes get yu noticed then why the heck are any of you getting cut off??? You just defeated your own arguement!! And if your so safety conscience then you all MUST have big reflector tape stripes all over your bike , right? And a bunch of red an yellow strips on your helmets too , RIGHT!! Yea right! And most of your bikes are painted dark colors like BLACK cause you want to bee seen real easily for safetys sake, right, yea right!
Your so worried about safety that alot of you don't know if your dam horn even WORKS!! yea right safetys really on your mind! And if you are too lazy to check the stock horn it's a given that you won't spend any bucks getting a good horn. yea right it's all about safety..
I heard this arguement back in 69 when I bought my first Harley. It was full of CRAP then and it's full of CRAP now!!
YOU GUYS RUN LOUD PIPES CAUSE YOU LIKE TO HEAR YOUR BIKE WITH LOUD PIPES and YOU WANT EVERYONE TO LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME !!! Anything else IS bullsnot!!
Hay why not go with the saveing gas theame cause your bikes run better!! Gosh your a conservationist, bet ch didn't know you was a greenie huh...
I love hearing powerful Hi Performance machines doing what they was built for, and that's raceing! And running up an down the street ain't raceing. And a stock Harley with a free flow aircleaner and loud pipes is still just a STOCK Harley! But I guess you can impress the teeny bopbers and scare the ol ladies with it!
If you want a law, then make it that no stock bikes can run loud pipes. Hell, atleast make the loud bikes something WORTH hearing, like a motor with some good cams and headwork!!
Blah, blah, blah. If you ever used YOUR horn you'd know they are about as effective as a fart (air horns are the only thing that do anything). My pipes (which are not the loudest out there) have helped stop the lane intruders. That is pure unadulterated fact. If I wanted to wow/scare/**** off the peds I'd be the dumbass revving it to the moon at lights, doing burnouts, pulling wheelies and what not. And unless you have some new kinda heads that actually speak, there is NO sound difference. I like nice sounding things, and that goes back to the days in the 70s of the street machines. How many were dragged? Few. Were they great sounding and looking machines/ F'n A right they were, and only the yuppy/preppy snots would think different.

I only want the cagers to notice me either by sight OR sound. If that upsets you or anyone else, TFB. UNTIL America changes to take these abominations off the road, I will keep pipes that people can hear. That is an added protection against these idiots and the f*ckstix that keep them on the road.

Old 09-10-2006, 12:38 AM
CraigC
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: JBA111

Sounds awfully angry and judgemental. Seriously, what's with the attitude? You really want everybody to be just like you? What the hell do 'my' pipes have to do with you? Yours is the same rhetoric as what we hear from those metric riders that seem to be offended by the very existence of Harley-Davidson. Different people have different tastes, ride different bikes and don't all like the same pipes. Get a f*ckin' life and get over it!

Old 09-10-2006, 12:49 AM
Sportshot
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad to hear you did not get hit. Loud pipes help make others aware of your position without seeing you but sometimes they are just too loud. I too have been riding for a long time and would like to know what side of your lane you were riding in? On numerous occassions I have found myself in danger of being sideswiped if I am in the left part of my lane with a car to the right of me. I personally believe that what happens is the cagers may take a glance in their mirror (while talking on the cell phone of course) and do not move their head far enough to see bikers in the left side of the lane. For this reason i always ride in the right side of a lane if there is a car to my right. I want them to see me with just a slight glance in their mirror. If i can see their face they can see me!!

Old 09-10-2006, 12:58 AM
Tailbreaker
Road Warrior
Received 30 Likes on 9 Posts

I would say yes, they can save lives. I'm not saying everyone needs to run drag pipes, but if I'm driving the cage and a bike is in my blind spot with factory (say mute) pipes, the odds of me knowing that he is there are slim. If his pipes are audible enough for me to detect his presense even though I cannot see him, then he is going to pass me safely. It happened not too long ago, with a sport bike rider, I couldn't see or hear him, I started to change lanes. Luckily he throttled past me. It scared the hell out of me!!

Quick Reply: loud pipes save lives....or not?