General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Forgive me, another oil pressure concern

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 03:49 AM
clicker01
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Switch to dino if you haven't already.

Old 09-07-2010, 05:10 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,371 Likes on 2,543 Posts

Originally Posted by NDNGREG
Thanks for input. I do believe engine is still in great shape. Runs great, no noises. I'm just not sure which way to go now. I feel that warning lights are there for a reason, not to be totally ignored. However, it seems to be running fine, despite a little paranoia. Straight 50wt oil had been suggested to me, but I was more interested in fixing problem than hiding it. Maybe that's not the intent, just my interpretation. Putting myself out there,... what next?
using a heavier weight oil is not necessarily 'hiding a problem'. most people think to just throw some 20/50 wt in there during an oil change. if you actually look at the owners manual, it will tell you what recommended weight oil to use depending on the expected temperature before your next oil change. just the nature of heat.

Old 09-07-2010, 05:55 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

All Harley engines are mostly roller bearings making it impossible to keep big oil pressure when warm.It is perfectly normal.Worry when the light stays on,otherwise as long as the oil and filter are changed when needed and the level is correct enjoy your rides.

Old 09-07-2010, 02:48 PM
NDNGREG
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Again, thanks to all for input. I plan to do oil & filter change, probably with 50w. May change out sending unit, we'll see after oil change. At least for now, I'm not AS worried about low pressure. Oh yeah, pressure gauge is Drag Specialties, so it just adds to chrome, not to worries. Right now, I'm ready for some riding.

Wado (thank you in Cherokee). Semper Fi.

Old 09-07-2010, 03:02 PM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Never ignore any idiot light but oil pressure gauges go bad. Your gauge should be mechanical--so there is no sending unit to the gauge. Your idiot light comes on when the key is turned on? Then goes out when you start the bike? If it is doing that it is normal and nothing is wrong with your sending unit. Do routine maintenance and repair only problems. Do not make the mistake of over analyzing this bike and swapping parts unless something is broke. Too much mechanic can cause lots of problems---Short for if it ain't broke , don't fix it.
Originally Posted by NDNGREG
Thanks for input. I do believe engine is still in great shape. Runs great, no noises. I'm just not sure which way to go now. I feel that warning lights are there for a reason, not to be totally ignored. However, it seems to be running fine, despite a little paranoia. Straight 50wt oil had been suggested to me, but I was more interested in fixing problem than hiding it. Maybe that's not the intent, just my interpretation. Putting myself out there,... what next?

Old 09-07-2010, 03:35 PM
rpbrown
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I had the same concerns when I got mine. It would drop to what looked like 0 on the guage. I got a manual guage and checked it. Was running 5-7 at idle. Eased my concerns. Now has over 50k and still does the same thing.