General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SERT / Power Commander

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 07:17 AM
RangeRat
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by frenchbiker
Oh yeah??? What HD dealership do you work for?
I'll take a PC-V (or a TTS Mastertune) any day over a SERT/SEST or whatever the hell they call it now.
So everyone who likes the HD offering works for HD?

Old 09-09-2010, 08:28 AM
XL50#674
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by SC-Longhair
Why would you want to do that? The SERT is a much better product when comparing to a power commander.
Yeah why do that? I went with the PCIII to save money at the time, but the SERT is better. Just have the SERT retuned since you will have to have the PC tuned anyways and it will be cheaper anywas to just not buy the PC.

Old 09-09-2010, 10:27 AM
houndawgg
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Originally Posted by Softy 103
I have a sert and was thinking about having Dr. Dyno tune my bike in Sturgis, he wanted me to buy a power comander because it was a lot simpler and easier to do the tune. I called my dealer, { who I trust very much} , and he said he would not recomend the power comander, and definetly don't buy one cause he had a box full of them from unsatisfied customers. I am sure there are some people who get along just fine with the PC , but I have been told by numerous people to have my bike tuned using the sert cause I will get better results and I already have it .
Did your dealer show you that box, he claimed he has?
I'd bet a high majority unsatisfied PC users went with maps that weren't correct for their bike.
I won't belittle Harleys product because I haven't used it and am unfamiliar with it.
I did have Dr. Dyno put a PC5 in my 08 Dyna at Marcus Dairy a year ago. He also dyno'ed it, and I am beyond satisfied with it. The bike is a different animal. I picked up a mere four horsepower, but is much perkier at any throttle position or gear
It runs >75 degrees cooler due to the extra fuel it's getting, so naturally I lost about 3 or 4 gallons a mile.
I can't put into words how much more enjoyable it is ride since the Dr. did his thing.
The purchase, installation and tuning was $800. You can save a bunch by purchasing and installing yourself, and have the Dr. do the dyno.
In the end, it's how pleased you are with your decision.

Attached Thumbnails SERT / Power Commander-getattachment.jpg  

Last edited by houndawgg; 09-09-2010 at 10:29 AM.
Old 09-09-2010, 10:31 AM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Houndawgg...they still hold super sunday @ Marcus? Remember my first time there back in '91 or '92. Nothin like a crazy ride up the Merrick.

Also, I'd love to have Dr tune my ride but the travel costs to get within an area he is at far exceeds the quality I would get. Wish the man would do a little more traveling.

Old 09-09-2010, 11:49 AM
wideglidebob
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

wow french you must work for the opposition

Old 09-09-2010, 02:01 PM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by wideglidebob
wow french you must work for the opposition
Not at all but I won't buy a gizmo that's:
1) married to my bike forever and can't be installed on another bike.
2) modifies the native ECM settings
3) can only be used by a HD dealer or an authorized HD tuner
4) costs an arm and a leg to be tweaked and if not done properly, costs another arm and another leg.

Also, I didn't like the local HD dealer telling me, "buy a SERT because we won't warranty your bike if you have a PC-V". Meanwhile, my PC-V was sold and installed by another HD dealer and even the box of the SERT reads "not for street use, will void the vehicle's warranty".

Edit: Forgot to mention. Since I have the PC-V, I switched from Rinehart to CFR slip-ons and later on from stock headers to V&H Dresser Duals. Cost with the PC-V: Nothing (2 new maps sent to me by Fuel Moto). Cost with the SERT? I'd say at least $500 ..... if I'm lucky.

Last edited by frenchbiker; 09-09-2010 at 02:10 PM.
Old 09-09-2010, 02:07 PM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by RangeRat
So everyone who likes the HD offering works for HD?
I've heard this BS so much from HD dealers that I'm very leery when someone swears by it.

Tell me how the SERT so much better. What does it offer that the PC-V doesn't?

Old 09-09-2010, 03:10 PM
houndawgg
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

r
Originally Posted by SC-Longhair
Houndawgg...they still hold super sunday @ Marcus? Remember my first time there back in '91 or '92. Nothin like a crazy ride up the Merrick.

Also, I'd love to have Dr tune my ride but the travel costs to get within an area he is at far exceeds the quality I would get. Wish the man would do a little more traveling.
Every year, it's said it's the last Super Sunday, but it keeps happening.
The remainder of this year, the Dr. hangs around the northeast, but he does go to Daytona, Sturgis, Laconia, Americade, etc. Check his web page, not sure if he does Myrtle Beach.

Old 09-09-2010, 05:14 PM
Softy 103
Banned
Received 260 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by houndawgg
Did your dealer show you that box, he claimed he has?
I'd bet a high majority unsatisfied PC users went with maps that weren't correct for their bike.
I won't belittle Harleys product because I haven't used it and am unfamiliar with it.
I did have Dr. Dyno put a PC5 in my 08 Dyna at Marcus Dairy a year ago. He also dyno'ed it, and I am beyond satisfied with it. The bike is a different animal. I picked up a mere four horsepower, but is much perkier at any throttle position or gear
It runs >75 degrees cooler due to the extra fuel it's getting, so naturally I lost about 3 or 4 gallons a mile.
I can't put into words how much more enjoyable it is ride since the Dr. did his thing.
The purchase, installation and tuning was $800. You can save a bunch by purchasing and installing yourself, and have the Dr. do the dyno.
In the end, it's how pleased you are with your decision.
I did ,I did see da pussycat, I mean da box

Old 09-09-2010, 05:25 PM
RangeRat
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by frenchbiker
I've heard this BS so much from HD dealers that I'm very leery when someone swears by it.

Tell me how the SERT so much better. What does it offer that the PC-V doesn't?
A tuner guy w/dyno in my area who's extremely familiar with it. Now, I'll ask you again:
"So everyone who likes the HD offering works for HD?"

Quick Reply: SERT / Power Commander