General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

In the Market for a Leather Jacket....

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2010, 12:09 AM
"Dutch"
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default In the Market for a Leather Jacket....

As the title states, I am in the market for a leather jacket. So all, ALL, opinions welcome, as some recent threads seemed to discourage smart *** comments along with the other responses....I will not tell anyone to STFU (Doyle). I welcome the responses as I notonly can handle it, I can dish it. BTW I ask this as it is my first leather "motorcycle" jacket.

Here are the two I am looking at:

Fox Creek - http://www.foxcreekleather.com/60-me...orcycle-jacket

Lil Joes - http://blackmagicapparel.com/shopsit...ml/LJ-371.html

Those two are basically the "style" of jacket I am looking for. If you have other companies with comparible leather thickness, American Made ("F" NAFTA), and in that price range (remember you get what you pay for).

Old 09-06-2010, 12:20 AM
O6FXST
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I think they are both cool jackets that are of good quality and will probably serve you well. The price range is about right also, good quality leather riding jackets start at about $400. There are several companys selling good quality jackets. You already know about Foxcreek which has a big following on the forum and also Schott and Vanson come to mind. Good Luck in your search.

Old 09-06-2010, 12:21 AM
Kowan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Between the two, the Fox Creek.
If I needed a new leather jacket, I'd purchase a Fox Creek.

Old 09-06-2010, 12:23 AM
"Dutch"
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by O6FXST
Well I think they are both cool jackets that are of good quality and will probably serve you well. The price range is about right also, good quality leather riding jackets start at about $400. There are several companys selling good quality jackets. Schott and Vanson come to mind. Good Luck in your search.
Noted. Will check Vanson and Schotts' websites again to browse for similar styles. Thanks.

Old 09-06-2010, 12:24 AM
"Dutch"
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Kowan
Between the two, the Fox Creek.
If I needed a new leather jacket, I'd purchase a Fox Creek.
Do you have a Fox Creek? Do the sizes run true (if I decide on Fox Creek; I contact them).

Old 09-06-2010, 12:29 AM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

I live near the Fox Creek business and see alot of their stuff at rallies. It certainly is nice...With that said, I've been riding for 20+ years in 99 buck Pakistani leather with no complaints...LOL.

Old 09-06-2010, 12:33 AM
Kowan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No, I own two HD jackets and an old Vetter leather jacket.
Other threads linked different leather jacket manufacturers and I liked what I read about Fox Creek by those who owned them. That and they are made by workers right here in good old U.S.A. unlike my other jackets.
I looked over http://www.schottnyc.com/ , but liked the choices at Fox Creek better.

Old 09-06-2010, 12:49 AM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

Of the two, I would go with Fox Creek. This is not based on personal experience but on everything that I have read on this forum. I do have a pair of FC elk gloves. Nice.

NOTE: I have read nothing negative about Lil Joes.

I think Schott and Vanson are going to be a little more expensive. I have both of those and Vanson competition leather is the best that I have seen for motorcycle riding. However, Vanson is now making their jackets in Central America rather than the U.S. Vanson will make you one in Massachusetts but there is a six month wait as of last week. Check out Schott and LegendaryUSA.com. Legendary is made by Schott with some slightly different styles. Good luck.

Old 09-06-2010, 01:01 AM
AThousandHurricanes
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll chime in on little Joes...I have a vest and i'm not convinced it was worth the money at all. the button snaps dont "fit" together right on all but 2 buttons, and it is a PITA to get snapped. Then they don't stay. Similar to a cheap, POS wind jacket I had that I tossed. I would send it back again (their sizes run SMALL and short so I needed to change sizes), but I went through so much drama to get it that it is not worth the hassle.

Now, that joe's jacket has zippers, but FWIW that was my experience. I hear good things about fox creek. Heck, I have a HD "mercer" jacket that I am happy with.

Old 09-06-2010, 02:25 AM
oldbie
Stellar HDF Member
Received 2,736 Likes on 770 Posts

Originally Posted by "Dutch"
Do you have a Fox Creek? Do the sizes run true (if I decide on Fox Creek; I contact them).
I have the FC bomber you are considering. I think they are slightly roomy. I bought a 44 and it's a little big in the neck. What size are you?

Quick Reply: In the Market for a Leather Jacket....