General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

In the Market for a Leather Jacket....

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 07:53 PM
leicafish
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by O6FXST
Being a life long fan of leather, maybe I can help you out. This is what I have learned. I am not a leather expert by any means.
ALL leather is tough, but in order of toughness.

Horsehide: horsehide is the toughest, and is the only leather that is naturally water resistant. It is stiff when new and takes some time to break in. Usually comes in one weight for clothing because the skins are so thick not all of the skin can be used for clothing. It is very smooth in texture, almost looks like plastic and will mold to your body, it wears like iron. It will develop a smooth, shiny patina over time. It is more scarce than CH and thus more expensive. I have a HH A-2 flight jacket that I have been wearing for 10 years, does not show ANY wear. The first U.S. army air corps flight jackets were HH until WWII broke out and they ran out of HH, the government then went to goat. It ages very well.

Cowhide: probably just as tough as HH in heavyweight but is not naturally waterproof. CH can be grainy or smooth in texture and some jackets will have a mix of both. It is made in many different weights and quality can vary a lot. CH dries out faster than other leathers and should have conditioner applied at least once per year. Since it is much more plentiful, it cost less.

Goat skin: a good tough leather that is a little thinner than HH or CH with the heaviest weights equal to midweight CH. It is a grainy, soft, flexible leather that has a "buttery" feel and has a "broke-in" feel when new. It molds well to the body and develops a nice patina as it ages. Cost wise, it falls between HH and CH. I have a GS from Langlitz and love it, it is the heaviest GS I have seen.

Lamb skin: tough, but it is thinner than the others. Usually not used for MC jackets but I did stumble across a very nice HD jacket in LS and bought it. The thing about LS is, it has a very distinctive feel...really, soft and velvety, women cannot keep their hands off it. Soaks up water like a sponge and will show water stains. Cost is usually the same as CH.
Hope this helps a little.
Although I am a fan of Goat Skin because I can not afford a Horsehide jacket yet. I can say this, I have HH Cordavans that are close to 20 years old and they still look new. During the winter that is what I use when I go back east for meetings. Just and unbelivable product. Expensive but you only buy it once.

Old 09-11-2010, 01:06 AM
parafrog65
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a Foxcreek jacket...it is a fantastic jacket and it is made in the USA...fantastic company to deal with also...I will never use any other company...but once u buy a jacket from them, u will have it for life...I have... the vented racer I think it is called...basic leather jacket without abunch of flaps and snaps and belts...works very well and is warm....good luck

Old 09-11-2010, 10:53 AM
mplecha
Stellar HDF Member
Received 167 Likes on 103 Posts

I love my Schott. I'd recommend the company to anyone

Old 09-15-2010, 10:05 PM
"Dutch"
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

First to all; Thanks for the responses and added choices for a leather riding jacket.

Today, I pulled the trigger on the Lil Joes Jacket. I spoke with Mike, twice, he answered all my questions about the jacket. I mentioned I was looking at a Schott and maybe Fox Creek. I asked him to discribe the thickness of there jacket in comparison; he simply stated we provide the thickest jacket available on the market (3.75 oz of leather). He did not know the thickness by millemeter or inches as he again stated they purchased in oz. He asked me to call him back if I wanted there jacket and provide my measurements to provide a jacket that would fit properly. He also added if it doesn't no problem he take care of it.

Today I called him back, with my measurements, jacket will be in the mail. For those that were concerned about the 1" collar; button down collar. I will provide a "review" of the jacket if people here want my opinion. Again, thanks to everyone who provided options, opinions, and their personal experience.

Old 09-15-2010, 10:07 PM
"Dutch"
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by mplecha
I love my Schott. I'd recommend the company to anyone
mplecha, please...please change that avatar. Man that is disturbing! Really, ahahaha.....I hope that is not a Schott's jacket. Thanks for your imput. Schott may, will, be my second leather jacket, hopfully for Christmas....next year.

Old 09-16-2010, 02:42 AM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

Schott actually makes a 5 oz. leather motorcycle jacket in the USA. They make it for LegendaryUSA and it is the Legendary Enforcer Ultra model. It is 2.0mm. $499.95.

The same jacket in 3.5 oz. is $399.95. It is also available in horse hide for about $620.

I have not seen the 5 oz. one but that seems like very heavy, maybe too heavy, leather for a jacket.

Last edited by txfxstrider; 09-16-2010 at 02:48 AM.
Old 09-16-2010, 08:07 AM
babalu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

my schott is plenty heavy as is, wouldn't want one heavier. in the winter i put ahoodie underneath and it's all good. as for the sewn in liner i only wear a leather jacket when the liner doesn't bother me. when i ride to work in the AM it is barely in the 50's. the liner does me well. two weeks ago it was in the 90's and i wasn't wearing a jacket at all.

Old 10-04-2010, 04:32 PM
"Dutch"
Road Warrior

Update: Few weeks with the Lil Joe's Leather Jacket.

Jacket is very well made and simple ( 4 pockets). I love simple. It weighs in at 5 lbs. As far as wind entering the jacket (once mentioned because of the lack of interior panel which Fox Creek had) at highway speeds; nope - none.

In this venture I was able to try on and feel a Schotts' jacket. I did like it, but the insulated jacket only hinders not helps for riding. The coldest it gets for me is 60's a few times a week; rather layer than purchase an insulated jacket. Also with the Schotts' brand the leather was different, greyish black. The Lil Joe's a deep black with a nice sheen to it.