General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

In the Market for a Leather Jacket....

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2010, 10:30 AM
SteveO-ll
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A question comes to mind; doesn't the tips of the collar flap all around and slap you? Like on regular shirts without the button down collars.

I know on some of my shirts I have to roll the collar inside the neck in-order not to have them flapping all around. Totally annoying.

Just curious.

Old 09-06-2010, 10:40 AM
Kowan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

One of my HD jackets has snaps that the collar is held down by. The other uses velco to close the collar around the neck.

Old 09-06-2010, 11:41 AM
roadking2000
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 128 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by PineyRider
That Fox Creek jacket looks nice. If there's one thing I can say about leather jacket's it's "You get what you pay for". I've been buying those cheapie swap-meet jackets for the last 30 years looking for a decent fitting one. They all seem Ok at first, then I have to admit to myself they really fit like crap. After being through about 10 of them in 30 years, I'm resolved to the fact that I just have to open up my cheap-azz wallet and PAY to get a good one.
Well, I guess you finally learned your lesson. 10 in 30 years? I've had 2 in 45 years and the first was trashed in a wreck. Both were good quality jackets and not cheap-o's. I've had my current jacket for 11 years. You've probably spent more on your jackets than I have on mine. Just do the deed and get a good one. You won't regret it.

Old 09-06-2010, 12:40 PM
babalu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i'm going to go against the crowd and say i was not impressed by anything i bought from fox creek. it was ok but nothing spectacular. i have a toolbag, gloves (lee parks not fox creek and they are nice), belt, and wallet, i have seen many foxcreek jackets and overall i didn't think them much better than the pakistani jackets from bikers den. again not bad but i do believe the hype is akin to the ACC helmets too much hype from people who bought it and want other to also. the quality between a schott and a fox creek i think is night and day, especially when it comes to the leather.

Old 09-06-2010, 01:22 PM
"Dutch"
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SteveO-ll
A question comes to mind; doesn't the tips of the collar flap all around and slap you? Like on regular shirts without the button down collars.

I know on some of my shirts I have to roll the collar inside the neck in-order not to have them flapping all around. Totally annoying.

Just curious.
If I decide on Lil Joe's Jacket; this is one question I am asking. Fox Creek has the buttons for the collar.

babalu
i'm going to go against the crowd and say i was not impressed by anything i bought from fox creek. it was ok but nothing spectacular. i have a toolbag, gloves (lee parks not fox creek and they are nice), belt, and wallet, i have seen many foxcreek jackets and overall i didn't think them much better than the pakistani jackets from bikers den. again not bad but i do believe the hype is akin to the ACC helmets too much hype from people who bought it and want other to also. the quality between a schott and a fox creek i think is night and day, especially when it comes to the leather.
Great point about the "ACC" dying loyalty thing; only to be looking for a rebate. You make a very valid argument.

Comparing Schott and Fox Creek can not be done. I believe, Schott is above in quality and design. The Schott I am looking at is 300.00 more than one of the two originally posted. Schott is more comparable with Langlitz; I do not like that style of jacket. So no comparison. Comparing Schott with Lil' Joes, and Fox Creek jackets brings in a new opinion; Horsehide to Cowhide?

I posted the two originally as I feel they are comparable brands with equal quality leather. The Fox Creek comes with "newer" features, the Lil Joe's seems to me to be less is better; simple. Yet one would have to layer at times with the Lil Joe's.

Keep those opinions coming. Schott is not out, yet.

Old 09-06-2010, 03:14 PM
O6FXST
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That Fox Creek jacket looks nice. If there's one thing I can say about leather jacket's it's "You get what you pay for". I've been buying those cheapie swap-meet jackets for the last 30 years looking for a decent fitting one. They all seem Ok at first, then I have to admit to myself they really fit like crap. After being through about 10 of them in 30 years, I'm resolved to the fact that I just have to open up my cheap-azz wallet and PAY to get a good one.
LOL I know what you are sayin, did the same thing. I was in Portland in May and went to Langlitz and got measured for a goatskin jacket, it is perfect and will be the last jacket I buy but it wasn't cheap!

Old 09-06-2010, 03:21 PM
cardboard
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

know this is a fox creek leather post

But go to a dealer and try a fxrg preforated leather jacket on
that is if you can find one in stock

it also has a removable liner and removable body armor
and zippered vents

Old 09-06-2010, 03:23 PM
BlueNoser
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wear the HD FXRG and have no complaints

Old 09-06-2010, 04:04 PM
NR4TW
Tourer

Originally Posted by "Dutch"
. . . ALL, opinions welcome . . . .
Well then I suggest leatherup.com

That's where I got my jacket. Nice quality leather, very well vented, and a great price.

Old 09-06-2010, 06:06 PM
dh2683
Supporter

The first step to a cure is admitting you have a problem.

Quick Reply: In the Market for a Leather Jacket....