General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ride at your own pace, please.

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2010, 06:03 PM
Shag67
Road Master
Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Ride at your own pace, please.

Got in touch with an old friend of mine today. Had not seen him in about 17 years. I rode over to his house about 15 miles or so away and met his wife and kids. He has a 1100 Honda Shadow and he hopped on it to follow me back to my place so he could meet my family. We got about a mile and a half from my house when he lost it in a left-hand curve and dumped his bike pretty hard. His left arm was torn up with some BAAAAD road rash but no broken bones, nothing like that. His bike would likely be totaled out if he reported it to the insurance company. His wife was was not even close to being happy. I can't help feeling partially responsible because if I'd been riding more slowly then he would have, too, and would have probably made that curve fine. I know it wasn't me who twisted his wrist but still... Ugh. The moral of this story is ride at your own pace or you're gonna wind up getting hurt. I had to trailer his bike home for him. It was messed up that bad. He's gonna be sore for weeks.

Old 09-05-2010, 06:08 PM
dano309
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

yeah ....+1
ride at your own pace ........don't try and overdo it....not always pretty.......

Old 09-05-2010, 06:15 PM
ROMPUS
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

my brother comes to town with his bike and we go riding.He likes to go faster than I do so I tell him before we go to hall *** and not to wait on me that I will see him when we get there.He usually tones it down and tells me to lead.

Old 09-05-2010, 06:21 PM
Shag67
Road Master

That's what I told my friend today after his crash, Rompus. "Next time, YOU lead."

Old 09-05-2010, 06:24 PM
TORQUEY
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 175 Likes on 127 Posts

If I were in a huge hurry, I wouldn't have bought a FatBoy...

Old 09-05-2010, 06:25 PM
Doug45601
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hear bout your friend.. I'm sure he feels pretty bad about the upset but surely doesn't hold any thoughts of you being at any fault. Things just happen and he may have even been driving faster if he wasn't keeping pace with you! Wish him well, tell him everything is kool and not to feel bad or emberassed..

Old 09-05-2010, 06:29 PM
rahrens
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

in our group we rall ride the pace as the slowest rider, it my wife so i try to be the leader.

Old 09-05-2010, 06:29 PM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

Never try to keep up with people if it is beyond your ability. I learned this hard way as well by crashing a few times. The first thing everyone told me was to slow down, they don't care how fast i ride. This was a long time ago, but i always remember it.

Old 09-05-2010, 06:31 PM
Shag67
Road Master

Thanks, Doug. He was really cool about it. When I mentioned that if I'd been riding slower then maybe it wouldn't have happened he brushed it off and told me it was his fault for trying to take the corner faster than he should have. Kinda made me remember part of the reason he was my friend from long ago to begin with. He's a good guy. I just feel sorry for him because his bike is messed up and he's in pain and his wife is pissed off at him (and me, most likely). Just glad he didn't get hurt any worse than he did.

Old 09-05-2010, 06:55 PM
Harleyboyddk
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When riding with others, I'm sure to ride my own line through a corner and not follow the bike in front of me. If I don't keep up the pace and its a problem for the others, I tell them I'm going to ride on my own and you guys have a good day.

Quick Reply: Ride at your own pace, please.