General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ride at your own pace, please.

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2010, 07:05 AM
Ole Coyote
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Shaq67, I love your answer.
Coyote

Old 09-06-2010, 07:13 AM
klap
Road Master
Received 242 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by Shag67
I'll be brief here: **** you.

..see, that's just what I mean..to much male ego and no common sense..and **** you too..

Old 09-06-2010, 08:38 AM
chuckw2
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 384 Likes on 230 Posts

Whe I first came back to riding earlier this year I was slower than anyone and though I wanted to keep up I knew my limitations. No one we ride with ever made me feel like I was slowing them down. Almost all of our riding initially was in the mountains and riding there has taught me a lot.. While I am still no Cal Rayborn I have gained a huge amount of skill and confidence compared to the beginning of summer. Staying to the back roads and mountains instead of the freeway at first was a great way to learn.

Old 09-06-2010, 08:59 AM
aviator
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

sorry dude. you own some of the blame! your actions were junvenile - "watch how fast I can go without regard for anyone". hell, you even have that in your sig.

I'm glad I don't have friends like you.

Old 09-06-2010, 09:11 AM
bikergirl40
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm sorry to hear about your friend.

Don't beat yourself up about this, though. Even the most experienced riders have accidents. He may or may not have been driving above his comfort level .. no one can fault you for that.

If he had felt he was pushing it ... he could have slowed down and become your anchor. That is common practice when riding with a partner or group. The person in front doesn't always determine the speed of the group. The 'anchor' can too. If the person in front finds he is getting too far away from the group, he (or she) slows down to shorten the distance between the front and the back of the group.

We all find our even keel when riding in a group. I'm sorry to hear this happened before you were able to find yours. If anything, this should enforce the need to discuss 1) traveling speed before leaving for a ride or 2) the destination (so if one likes to drive faster, the other's don't have to panic to keep up).

Last edited by bikergirl40; 09-06-2010 at 09:14 AM.
Old 09-06-2010, 09:21 AM
Shag67
Road Master
Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by aviator
sorry dude. you own some of the blame! your actions were junvenile - "watch how fast I can go without regard for anyone". hell, you even have that in your sig.

Strange, I don't remember you being there watching us ride, but you must have been since you know that my "actions were juvenile." Like I said in my original post " I can't help feeling partially responsible..." You know what, though? Only one person made him try to take that turn as fast as he did, and that one person wasn't me. By him crashing when/where he did without getting seriously hurt he learned a very valuable lesson about his skill level that may wind up saving his life. Friends like me? You don't know me at all but we'd probably get along fine if we met.

Old 09-06-2010, 09:31 AM
High Gear
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

**** musta promised him one of his signature cast iron stomach breakfasts.

Personally I woulda been haulin azz the other way but I digress.

I can't imagine you have a clear conscience on this incident.

Old 09-06-2010, 09:43 AM
VsTheWorld
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yep - personal responsibility is dead in the USA... no way the OP was at fault, his buddy was the only one in control of his bike... made a mistake, down he went.

natural selection

yesterday i was on some twisty 2 lane, but my days of having to "win" are over - I'm just out for the sake of being out and hearing the vtwin ... .so when a faster rider on a DUC came up behind me I found a straight section, moved right, waved him left, never saw him again... and it was a beautiful ride, and it was successful (I got home upright, no damage to me or my bike)

Old 09-06-2010, 12:01 PM
BCSG
Tourer
Received 37 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by aviator

How do you get that from his sig. Pic? It's a pic of him leaning into a curve with his head up and looking through the curve, what's he supposed to do...be upright and take it at 10 mph? When I'm out with a group of riding buds, we all go our own pace, and every one understands that. The Guys that want to race through the twisties do that and then pull back to let everyone group together, never had any problems.

Old 09-06-2010, 12:06 PM
Nubz
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

just like when I was driving carnival trucks(my first trucking job)the slowest truck went to the front
with bikes I would agree with having the slowest/least experienced rider to the front of the group and have everyone go at their pace

so what was up with your friends bike is it dead beyond him fixing it reasonably?

Quick Reply: Ride at your own pace, please.