General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ride at your own pace, please.

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2010, 11:54 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 932 Likes on 574 Posts

Same thing happened to me in 1967. A good friend had just bought his first bike and he came over on the weekend to go for a ride over to the dealer to get something. He suggested that we take the back roads and that I lead because I knew them.

I took off and a few miles latter at a quick S curve that was made to go under a RR track bridge that crossed at an angle I did two quick counter steers first one left and then a right. I looked in the mirror and saw his white helmet bounce four times into the air. Each time it did not go as high or as far. I slid to a stop and turned back. The guy was laying motionless one the edge of the road in the gravel his bike was no where to be seen.

I asked him if he could move his feet. Nothing. I asked if he could move his arm. Nothing. Then he moaned a bit and came two. After a while he was able to stand and we started to look for the bike. I was in the bottom of the ditch covered over by tall grass at the edge of a small stream. We pulled it out. It was covered with grass and mud. The handle bars went one way and the tire and forks the other.

He was able to start it and with a happy medium between the handle bars and wheel go about 15 to 20 mph down the road to the HD dealer.

When he got there he told the dealer to fix it and sell it. He had purchased full coverage from the dealer when he bought it earlier that week. He never got another bike after that.

I felt that I was going too fast for his skills, but I never thought that he would try to follow me through that tight S curve at the speed I was going.

I did the accident report for him since I was a deputy sheriff at the time. I measured the four gouges in the road where the bike dug in and flipped. He was thrown into the air on the first flip and when he was coming down the bike would flip again and knock him back into the air. I don't remember the distances anymore but I did save a copy of the report for a number of years.

How he did not even have a broken bone or survive the crash I don't know. He was strong and young with muscle girth to him which may be the reason but that bike knocked him back into the air four times. His white helmet looked like that bouncing ball over the words to a song.

Last edited by lh4x4; 09-06-2010 at 12:04 AM.
Old 09-05-2010, 11:54 PM
-=TheJuggernaut=-
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Same thing happened to one of my good buddies a few years ago, he had only been riding for a few weeks and wanted to go for a ride with me. I told him i'd wait at the end of the twisty section so there was no need to try and keep up, after sitting there for 2 mins I decide to go back up the hill to find him and I see him coming around the last corner with parts and grass just hanging off his bike....good way to wreck a bike less then a month old

Old 09-06-2010, 12:36 AM
Dustball
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lessons in our world are usually painful AND expensive. Hope your friend has a speedy recovery.

I know I like to lean the bike over and drag the boards in the corners, and my usual riding buds know where they stack up regarding their ability to go "fast", and orient themselves accordingly in the group. It's understood that you always ride at your own pace, and if you ever feel you're getting over your head, then roll out of the gas and enjoy your ride. Remember, "fast" is how you handle the twistys, not blastin' down the super slab at 80 mph...

-Dusty

Old 09-06-2010, 12:45 AM
LRHD
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ride at your ability or you will go down, just a matter of time.

Old 09-06-2010, 01:03 AM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

When someone is going to follow me, if I don't already have some idea of their experience and skill level, I'll ask them. I might adjust my riding style, slow down a bit, if I think it's necessary. I will also remind them to ride at the pace THEY are comfortable with, and if I see them dropping back, I'll slow down.

Old 09-06-2010, 06:00 AM
Racer99
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Never exceed your own limits. Happy to hear he's not hurt.

Old 09-06-2010, 06:13 AM
klap
Road Master
Received 242 Likes on 122 Posts

..to all you *** hats that have posted in this thread (including the OP), that felt it necessary to go faster than what you realized what a new rider following you was capable of..I hope you realize now that you too have to accept at least part of the blame for the crashes that happened..the male ego will over ride common sense when another male ego is involved..slow down you dumb asses..

Old 09-06-2010, 06:13 AM
StreetGlider57
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is really good advice, for all kinds of riders. If you're not good a fast turns, slow down and be in control. If you're into speed, and you're being followed by a rider that is not as good. Don't try to impress them.

Old 09-06-2010, 06:27 AM
Rat1
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If I can't keep up to a group then I don't care. I will catch them at the next stop. Same goes for someone that can't keep up. If everyone knows where the group is going then it is not a problem. If the plan changes then we usually wait at the next turn for everyone to catch up.

Old 09-06-2010, 06:55 AM
Shag67
Road Master
Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by klap
..to all you *** hats that have posted in this thread (including the OP), that felt it necessary to go faster than what you realized what a new rider following you was capable of..I hope you realize now that you too have to accept at least part of the blame for the crashes that happened..the male ego will over ride common sense when another male ego is involved..slow down you dumb asses..
I'll be brief here: **** you.

Quick Reply: Ride at your own pace, please.