General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ride at your own pace, please.

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2010, 07:04 PM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What do you mean ride at your own pace? That's what a lot of people are doing. The problem is, their pace is 15 to 25 MPH over the speed limit. You would think the friggen world is coming to a end.

Old 09-05-2010, 07:12 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

We all have to know our limits.. feel bad for him though and thankful he didn't get hurt worse..

Old 09-05-2010, 07:30 PM
Quadancer
Elite HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

We always make an issue of it in our local RC's. We faster riders run in front and slower riders in back, with a second road captain in case we get separated in the twisties. Works great.
Egos getting in the way seem to be the biggest problem. You're right in letting him lead next time - I just watched a younger brother on a POS trying to keep up with his elder brother and wondered if they'd make it home.

Old 09-05-2010, 07:48 PM
shiftharder
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I too ride at my own pace - I could keep up with my riding partners - it`s the speeding tickets - they all want to go over the limit and I won`t on the secondary roads - I`ll just meet up with them at the next coffee shop.

Old 09-05-2010, 08:06 PM
BikerV
Road Warrior

Some people will ride beyond their capabilities just to keep up. Me personally, If I'm leading I do the speed limit then ask the rest of the riders at the first rest stop how the pace feels. If all agree that we can step it up some, I will.

However If I were blazing along at 20 mph OVER the limit and MY friend (whom I'm not familiar with his skill level) dumped his bike trying to follow I would (And Should) feel responsible. Not all followers in a group have the same attitude as me, If I'm riding with someone who thinks they're in some kind of roadrace I just let them go. Have a nice day, Maybe I'll see you at the next stop, maybe not.

Last edited by BikerV; 09-05-2010 at 08:12 PM.
Old 09-05-2010, 08:45 PM
Geezer2
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Male.... competitive + ego = trouble!!! It's in our genes guys! The only way to over come it is to think ahead and ride to the newest riders skill level. You're still gonna get there, even if it's 5 minutes later. Geez

Old 09-05-2010, 08:51 PM
Quadancer
Elite HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

Well, for us Georgia boyz, it's often all about throwing sparks in the twisties for fun - so it's a VERY big issue if guys are following that we don't know, hence the extra instruction.
I've said "Don't think you can keep up just because I'm on a Heritage." Not bragging rights, just a safety warning. And I can't keep up with many others, and don't want to try.

Old 09-05-2010, 11:19 PM
jayray
Tourer

You have not seen the guy in years. He rides his bike to meet your family. You take him on a road you know, he dumps it, you feel bad. Sounds like reunion upmanship. You show UP on your Harley. He wants to keep UP! You are guilty of UPing the guy. How do you make it right?

Old 09-05-2010, 11:32 PM
AThousandHurricanes
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man this hits close to home. We were on a family trip up to Prescott, AZ to see grandma. On the way back, we were winding down through the Prescott National forest, and on a downhill left curve, I see a sport bike rider come flying into turn faster than I would have had the guts to try, then in an instant bike # 2 in line banks wide and comes way into my lane...he crapped his pants and overcorrected, almost taking it off a mountain ledge. He saved it, but he almost killed himself and possible me and my family last weekend. The second it happened I told my wife "that's what happened when you ride beyond your limit!". Dude needs to find safer riding partners. It was a 25 MPH curve, and they were doing prob 60.

Last edited by AThousandHurricanes; 09-05-2010 at 11:33 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 09-05-2010, 11:50 PM
murd
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The wife and I hooked up with another couple we know quite well and a few other couples we met for the first time. We all headed out for what I thought was a nice group formation ride. Turns out I was in some freekin race! I'm not aggressive when the OL is on the back. I like to take it nice and easy, it's all about the ride, cruisin and being safe.
I just couldn't keep up, so I feel for your buddy. I bet he wishes he did things different that day.

Quick Reply: Ride at your own pace, please.